Seasons books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I know I've seen the titles recommended here before so I apologize for asking a redundant question...

What story books do you recommend for introducing the four seasons. My son is almost two and learns everything like a little sponge! Now that he's not at the tasting stage any more I would like to get a nature table started for him. I think the best way to introduce them would be a few simple stories that explain the seasons!

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about the Gerda Muller Seasons boardbooks? They are only picture books-but perfect for toddlers-my DS who is 22 months loves them- and just stares at the pictures.
#3 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I've seen those at diff online stores and they look beautiful! It's hard to judge without seeing them in person, so I'm happy to hear that your little guy likes them! Mine is obsessed with books (esp if there are pictures of animals), so I'm sure he'll like them. I keep getting Waldorf-y toy store coupons and sales in the mail. I'll keep an eye out for some to get a birthday present!
#4 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 04:27 PM

: we love those!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#5 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM

We love the Gerda Muller ones too. Before I bought them I noticed my library had them as regular book (not board book) as a compilation (it also has some text unlike the originals) but I was able to check them out before ordered. It's called Circle of Seasons. My 18 month old stole the book from me when I was looking at it on the couch. I ordered the books the next day. They are still very popular here--DD is now 3 and her 6 year old cousins love them too.

Here is a link to the Amazon listing

http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Seasons...161012&sr=8-10

And the worldcat listing- so if your library doesn't have it they can request it through interlibrary loan (just change it to your zipcode)

http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=wo...l&q=0525453946

We have those and a DK one with real photos of all four seasons. Most of our other seasonal books cover just one season at a time, with the exceptions of some life cycle books (trees, plants) and 'Spring is Here" by Taro Gomi - it covers the whole year of seasons but has abstract art (but my DD loves it).

HTH
#6 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Does anyone know of any seasonal books that aren't just picture books?

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#7 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 PM

The Sibylle Von Olfers books: The Story of the Root Children, ...Wind Children, etc. are great for talking about seasons, and they have both illustrations and words--great for early readers.
#8 of 16 Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM

another vote here for the Gerda Muller books.
#9 of 16 Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! I just ordered the Gerda Muller board books and The Story of the Snow Children - since we're actually in the middle of that season right now! A bit of a splurge to do it all at once, but my little guy is so into books that I know they'll be used and used and used some more! We didn't have anything planned for his birthday (just a few days after Christmas) so this will be perfect! And a great introduction to the idea of a nature table.
#10 of 16 Old 12-04-2008, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like this windy book http://www.amazon.com/Windy-Robin-Mi...8418343&sr=1-3 and I haven't seen the others but I'd like to.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#11 of 16 Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM

We liked this book when my girls were little:

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Seasona.../dp/1883672309

There's a section for each season with poems, songs, fingerplays, riddlesart, handwork and cooking ideas.

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#12 of 16 Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM

Ooops...for anyone trying to figure out what riddlesart is....it should be riddles, art....

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#13 of 16 Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! The first two of the Gerda Muller books arrived and they're lovely and detailed and just what I was looking for!! Can't wait for the others to get here! I am glad I got the snow children one to read also. He likes looking at pictures, but he also enjoys having stories read to him.

These will be a perfect intro to doing a nature table! He'll be two years old right after Christmas so I think the timing is perfect!
#14 of 16 Old 12-09-2008, 11:59 PM

I second A Child's Seasonal Treasury. I'm also really into the Wynstone Press seasonal books right now.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#15 of 16 Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

The Snow Children arrived last night. I opened the box and my little boy saw the book and ran over saying "We wead it togedder!!?!?!?" It's a beautiful book and very engaging for my son. Thank you very much for the recomendation! I'll definitely be getting the others eventually.
#16 of 16 Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Got the rest of the Seasons books last night and they're just beautiful! Baby boy claimed them immediately - which is fine, I still have Spring and Summer to wrap for his birthday at the end of the month. He adores them and dragged Winter off to daycare (he gets to bring one treasure to daycare if he wants). I love the curly red-headed boy---looks just like my curly red head!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page