Valentine's projects - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I was at Joanne's this evening, and they had 1lb bricks of beeswax, both 'natural' and 'white', for about $15.

just in case anyone was still looking/thinking/had a coupon

Rebecca, wife to a hardworking PhD student DH and mama to one sweet girl (3), four angels in heaven, and joyfully welcomed our baby boy January 2010! blog link in profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Warning: Do not use your good grater for the crayons!
I did a double boiler method for heating the wax with a pyrex measuring cup that I knew would get ruined (except for more wax projects) and an old pot.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I did too! Yes it's really hard to get the stickiness off of the grater. I also used my pyrex cup but hot water seemed to melt it off.
Let me know if anyone has any other tips.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:33 PM

I also got some tissue paper to try out the window stars in Valentine colours. I can't wait!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post
If you live in a cold climate, you could make ice hearts with colored water in similar molds and hang them on trees outdoors.

We do this every winter with heart-shaped and regular silicon muffin pans.

It is a toddler friendly craft, and looks really pretty.

I've also frozen larger block of colored ice in cake pans, etc, which we either hang up or play with in the yard (treasure hunt is fun!)
Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 PM

for vday we will be making pinecone birdfeeders to hang up outside, and will also go outside with trashbags and clean up the earth. we want to show the kids that it is important not only to show love for each other on this day, but also the earth and its creatures. with that said, here is a link from martha to make cute felt-heart hat(she also has a tutorial for making heart soaps):http://www.marthastewart.com/article...fts-for-babies
Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
is there a pattern for the pilot hat, or just that image?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 AM

not sure where martha obtained the pilot cap, but you could buy a white organic pilot cap at hannaanderson.com for $6. i imagine you could use regular or natural dyes to give it valentines colors. hanna also has a pink organic pilot cap.......
Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 PM

They had a cute project in the latest issue of Kiwi Mag that I am going to try and make for my boys. You basically use a "loner" sock to make into love bugs. My boys LOVE ladybugs and I thought this was so cute and now they can each have their own. It seemed simple enough that I could make three before Valentine's Day.

I love everyone else's suggestions as well!

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM

ooh - the heart shaped icecubes hung outside sound really fun and pretty.

We got a package of assorted sizes of hearts from AC Moore for a few bucks. Dd is having a blast (she's 3) painting them with water color paints, brushing some watered down glue on them, covering them with glitter, gluing smaller hearts to larger ones etc.

We also got 2 hearts on a spring base that open like a clothespin. She painted them and I covered them with superfine sugar like pink glitter. They look so pretty sitting on our mantle!!

We also purchased a pile of wood hearts (33 cents each I think) which she is painting, I'm glittering and will then glue them together into a wreath to hang.

Plus I took some old shrunken, felted wool sweaters and am sewing little stuffed hearts.

We plan to hang up some of the hearts she's painting too.

We already had the glue and paint. The glitter and wood pieces were really cheap!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM

I'm just wondering why Valentines day is celebrated? It's a lovely day of course:, but where is it talked about waldorfs philosophy? What is it exactly? How do you celebrate the whole day? How is it introduced to your children?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedsprout View Post
I'm just wondering why Valentines day is celebrated? It's a lovely day of course:, but where is it talked about waldorfs philosophy? What is it exactly? How do you celebrate the whole day? How is it introduced to your children?
It's in celebration of St Valentine who married people secretly even tho the govt had commanded them not to marry (don't remember why... maybe they were soldiers...)

I tell dd that Valentines day is a day to celebrate the people that we love. We send Valentines to her friends and to family.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:15 AM

Excellent question and good reply.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 AM

yesterday after circle time dd made a heart mobile out of wool and paper. i'll take a pic today

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM

here it is. after circle time i went up fron tot talk to some other mamas and when i came back dd had allready started this craft so i had to let her finish!

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_8730.jpg

eta. sorry for the super crappy pic, theres no sunlight today so my lens couldn't find the mobile.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
here it is. after circle time i went up fron tot talk to some other mamas and when i came back dd had allready started this craft so i had to let her finish!

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_8730.jpg

eta. sorry for the super crappy pic, theres no sunlight today so my lens couldn't find the mobile.
smart girl.....getting that extra craft in while mommy was busy. it is darling!!!
what is the base made out of. it sort of looks like wire with wool around???

what a great gift for you!

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 AM

ahh yes. only problem was it cost money and i didn't have any! : guess thats what credit cards are for huh? *sigh*

the wool appears to be wrapped around cardboard and then it's just the wool yarn as the strands to hang it.
hth!!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm currently working on a felt heart garland. I cut out the hearts and then got busy. I hope to use the next evening or two to get them all sewn together!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 PM

We've been doing Valentine crafts since mid-January. We found some Valentine books at the library and got an early start.

First I took old Valentine's cards that we've been sent over the years and DD colored them and stuffed them into envelopes, then gave one to Daddy. She loves the concept of mail, so anything in an envelope is just thrilling to her.

Then we colored wax paper and cut out hearts to make sun catchers. This didn't work very well because the wax paper is so slippery that it gathers up while you're coloring and rips. We managed to salvage enough for a few decorations though.

I also used old Christmas card envelopes to cut out symmetrical shapes. This turned out really cool because the side with the flap ended up having two smaller shapes that you could tape together (or use the envelope's seal) to make even cooler designs than you originally intended. We added these to the window.

Finally, with so many shapes on the window we had to put the rest somewhere, so I clipped them to her artwork line to make a garland. We also did some glittery heart cutouts.

I read that St. Valentine was loved by children and they wrote him letters and brought him treats to show their love to him. Also, young adults would put their names in a jar to draw out the name of their sweetheart, which may be where the tradition of paper Valentines came from. I think Valentine's is just another way to celebrate love and winter, regardless of its origins.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:09 PM

I made some ice hearts like the beeswax ones (which I have yet to photograph). They look very pretty!

http://ourquietplace.blogspot.com/20...ce-hearts.html

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

Old 01-31-2009, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I made some ice hearts like the beeswax ones (which I have yet to photograph). They look very pretty!

Thanks for posting -- they *are* pretty!

We made some pale blue/green ones with regular round muffin cups at the start of January and they just melted off the trees in an unexpected thaw. Perfect excuse to make more heart-shaped ones in Valentine colors.

Maybe next year if I'm on the ball, and we have a cold December, we'll hang red and green ones in December, too.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM

We were at Target this morning and found some Valentine grow kits in the dollar section. I normally avoid that section like the plague since it all seems so cheap, but I didn't think these were bad. It was a little ceramic (?) pot with a soil mix pellet you rehydrate and some seeds. There was a red pot with some flower seeds and a typical orange shade (like the clay ones) that had alpine strawberry seeds.

Ds got a kick out of planting the seeds. We're putting them on our nature table. I figure it's likely there may be some seeds that have already sprouted by Valentine's Day. I would think you could easily do something like that on your own w/out necessarily buying a kit.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
We were at Target this morning and found some Valentine grow kits in the dollar section. I normally avoid that section like the plague since it all seems so cheap, but I didn't think these were bad. It was a little ceramic (?) pot with a soil mix pellet you rehydrate and some seeds. There was a red pot with some flower seeds and a typical orange shade (like the clay ones) that had alpine strawberry seeds.

Ds got a kick out of planting the seeds. We're putting them on our nature table. I figure it's likely there may be some seeds that have already sprouted by Valentine's Day. I would think you could easily do something like that on your own w/out necessarily buying a kit.
We always do these kits. My mom works at Hallmark and they had some mini Douglas Firs for Christmas. She bought them for me after they'd gone on clearance. I love kits like this because I am a plant killer, and these always sprout or bloom at least a little before my curse befalls them!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 PM

we have beeswax left over from making candles to hand out as xmas gifts(idea featured in winter Living Crafts), so we are going to make the beeswax heart garland. we purchased a 12 cavity heart shaped silicone mold at target today. we also have pretab candle wicks, so will also be using the mold to make floating beeswax candles, then I was also thinking we would get Valentine color glycerine soaps cheaply at Whole Foods, melt them, and pour into molds for simple heart shaped soaps. exciting stuff!!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Ooooo these are beautiful! Almost makes me wish it were colder here. Almost.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!

User Tag List