interested in a waldorf book club of sorts? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Ok, I'm gonna be bad and not quote. But yay! You're starting my part of the book! (I just skimmed the infant section since I have a two year old.)

READING: The section about early reading really was good for me. Until I read that I was always iffy about the delayed reading endorsed by Steiner practices. This made a lot of sense to me. It also provided some leniency for the natural early reader - the truly self-taught. It's keeping me from nudging my son. I was an early reader myself (VERY fluent by 5)...early enough that I don't remember not knowing how to read. My son is fascinated by letters (but he also thinks they're puzzle pieces!). ;P I'm working hard to incorporate oral story telling (made up and classic fairy tales) and not worry about the academics.

I also liked the author for pointing out that the mainstream kiddo will become a fluent reader at about the same time as child on the Waldorf path. Just because they don't push it and say READING LESSONS, the skills are still being honed.

WATERCOLORS: I LOOOOVED this part and the clear ideas for actually doing it. I've painted with my son a few times since reading this section. The first time was an expirment all around. The next time we both had a little clearer expectations. And what I loved was how my son saw his painting evolve. At one point he looked at his swirl and pointed out a figure excitedly. A few more strokes and it turned into something else that he showed he. And so on until he was more playing with the water than anything else. I wish I'd taken pictures of the painting at the stages that caught his imagination...but that would have probably interupted his flow. It was just kind of a magic spark! I can't even remember what he saw in his painting any more--but it was clear as day and exciting for us both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List