interested in a waldorf book club of sorts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
right now we are reading you are your child's first teacher....come join us in the discussion!

: "we need to accept who we are and build up the support we need...no matter what you do, you will find you need and deserve support." :
-rahima baldwin, you are your child's first teacher

so i had this thought in the middle of the night. here we all are, reading the same books based on steiner's philosophies and trying to do the best for our children. i know i have a stack of books i'd like to read and it might be more fun to do it together and then discuss. so i thought i'd see if anyone else is interested.....

so here is a list of books that i am reading/want to read.... :

heaven on earth
you are your child's first teacher
waldorf education
seven times the sun
beyond the rainbow bridge

many of you have probably read these before, but it'd be great to have some re-readers too with different input. i am sure there are other books that i don't have on my list that would be great too.

anyone interested???

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

me me me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i get something new fro mthem every time i re-read!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I'm in! I'm in process of You Are Your Child's First Teacher. But there are a few others I want to read on your list too! (If you don't mind a "take it with a grain of salt" interpretation! I promise I play nice---I'm sooo not religious and my very religious in-laws like me fine and think I'm a good influence!)
Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Me too!! Me too!! Heaven on Earth is the best! I reference it often. I keep waiting for another book that can top it but it just can't be beat!!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 PM

I would probably be in too! I have You Are Your Childs First Teacher and I have not even opened it, maybe this would be the motivation I need!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:02 PM

I'd love to too!!!!:
Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM

i am totally in!

i would love to have a group to discuss with as i read!

how exciting!

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM

gosh, all of those are on my to read list. I just wish we had a little extra cash right now so we could get them I've already checked our library system. I'll double check the University's, although I know they don't have STS.

I will read the discussion thread with great interest and if I can manage to get a copy of what you're reading at the time would love to join in!!

Rebecca, wife to a hardworking PhD student DH and mama to one sweet girl (3), four angels in heaven, and joyfully welcomed our baby boy January 2010! blog link in profile
Old 01-15-2009, 04:55 PM

ooh...count me in too:
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM

I'm in

great idea

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM

I'd like to be in as well!

A happy woman
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

: i am so excited.
i find it so comforting to know that other's want to discuss what they are reading too . makes me feel a bit less lonely in this big wide world.

so since a few folks mentioned you are your child's first teacher, how does that sound as a place to start? then maybe heaven on earth next.

had you rather it be a bit structured or just dive on in and start discussing? i am fine with either...and want what will work best for us all.

i look forward to hearing back from you gals. then we can really get to the fun part !

Old 01-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I think a little structure would help - at least for me. Plus then there's time to inter-library loan books if you don't want to buy that one.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM

I'm in.. I have First Teacher and I'll put a request through ILL for Heaven on Earth...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3901sca View Post
I think a little structure would help - at least for me. Plus then there's time to inter-library loan books if you don't want to buy that one.
ita!

ill put in a request at the library and check out the used book store!
:

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM

I'm in..
Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Me too - I've read You Are Your Child's First Teacher and Seven Times the Sun and Understanding Waldorf Education by Jack Petrash.

I'm excited? How will we structure this?

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 PM

I have First Teacher also, and haven't yet had "time" to delve into it.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM

nak

I'd love to do this!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 PM

I got You Are Your Child's First Teacher recently and hope to start it soon (along with a heap of John Holt books and Above All Be Kind)

Would be fun to discuss... so what's the next step?

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

alright gals...i have a plan.

i don't have the time to explain it properly....but best to get started by actually getting your hands on a copy of you are your child's first teacher...

i'll be back later tonight after dd is : with the structure i think the book naturally lends itself to.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 PM

I am in! I will put in a order for the book tonight.. Can we wait a few days so we can get ahold on the book? I would greatly appreciate it! I am SO excited!

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabeehilly View Post
alright gals...i have a plan.

i don't have the time to explain it properly....but best to get started by actually getting your hands on a copy of you are your child's first teacher...

i'll be back later tonight after dd is : with the structure i think the book naturally lends itself to.
yay b/c i have this one!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

so here's what i've come up with...

you are your child's first teacher sort of naturally has 3 sections:

1. chapters 1-6 (child development)
2. chapters 7-10 (creativity)
3. chapters 11-14 (home life & school life)

i was thinking we should discuss a section a week (specifically but not exclusively). i think it is reasonable to allow 3 weeks for one book and will have enough time to discuss many topics.

would folks be willing and able to start on monday? i want to make sure to give everyone enough time but i don't want to loose momentum either.

i am hoping this will naturally unfold (and am willing to give it some gentle nudges along the way). i don't think we need to say on this day we will discuss this chapter...but i do think that having some structure will be helpful. what do you think?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 AM

I will do my best! I don't know what my weekend looks like but hopefully I can get going on it. This book has several versions, right? Are they all pretty similar? I think I have an older version.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

so i thought i'd be nice too for us to get to know each other a bit (if you are comfortable). it occurred to me that i haven't shared my name yet....

hi i am hillary. i am married to my childhood best friend. we have a daughter, tait, who is 21 months old. we live in nashville, tn. we moved back "home" this summer after living in bozeman, montana : for 5 years.

we are ap parents...and waldorf seems like an organic evolution to many of our values. we cloth diaper (before dd potty-trained herself, yup she keeps me on my toes ), are extended breastfeeding, cosleep, selective vax, non-dairy and very picky meat eaters. i am constantly researching ways to live more naturally and nurture our family.

hmmm....what else?
i am a birth-junkie!!! i love to knit :, i LOVE yoga. i love creating things in the kitchen. i just posted an honesty post on my blog a couple days back, that will probably prove to give you some insight into me. so might go check that out....

i am looking forward to this.
gotta go, dh is home and is vying for my attention

Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 AM

Sounds great!

I'm Nicole, and my dh and I have 4 children. My ds1 is 13, my dd is 10, my ds2 is 3, and my ds3 is almost 11 months. We live in southern Indiana.

I always describe myself as kinda-sorta-Waldorf. I'm a pick and chooser. I didn't discover Waldorf till my ds2 was born; I really wish I had known about it when my older two were small. There are so many things that I love and appreciate about Waldorf and I'm always trying to learn more.

I love to read and do all kinds of crafty stuff.

Sorry, I don't have much sparkling wit or creativity right now - it's been a loooong day spent with a babe who has a double ear infection.

A happy woman
Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 AM

I'm Kayte and I should be finishing up the last details for a birthday party tomorrow morning and be in bed... but instead am on the computer....

I'm 36 and in May will be married to my college sweetheart for 14 years.

Our one and only Arwen turns three on Monday and I have a party for little ones tomorrow (with our Music Together teacher) and family celebration on Monday (we're celebrating her birth and the last day of "w"). (So it will probably Tuesday before I am back here)

We live in Texas.

I love to craft--pretty much every type but am currently in a sewing phase and am learning to knit.

I also love to read--especially child development and early education.

The school we have chosen for Arwen to attend (next fall) is a blend of styles but all the teachers have some Waldorf training.

I can't wait for spring to get our garden going again --placed my order with Seeds of Change last week.

That's kinda a random collection of things about me -- but my brain is scattered with party prep....

I am looking forward to having other people to discuss these ideas with--since it's not most of friends' cup of tea.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, it's my turn!

My name is Sarah, I am the thirty year old mother of Lars Oskar, born at home on 10.17.08. I have two stepdaughters who are 11 and 13, who until recently attended a Montessori school in Madison, WI where we live. My husband, Doug and I have been together for eight years and married for two.

I am excited to get started in our book club!

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 AM

I'm in!

My name is Jen and I'm 29 years old. DP and I have been together for about eight years. We have two children. E is 28 months old -- a wonderful ball of energy. He keeps me on my toes 24/7. A is 38 weeks in utero. We can't WAIT to finally meet her!

Our family is very new to Waldorf. We're really just barely scratching the surface. I don't know if we will ever fully subscribe to all of the Waldorf concepts, but the parts we've experienced so far have brought us closer together as a family.

I recently acquired You Are Your Child's First Teacher (along with a couple other of the books in the original post) and I'm looking forward to reading along with ya'll.

Jen
Loving partner to Gia rainbow1284.gif and mama to heartbeat.gif (9/06) and A heartbeat.gif (1/09)

User Tag List