You do it! - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > You do it!
Triniity's Avatar Triniity 05:35 PM 01-26-2009
Good evening girls,

I am wondering. When my dd is drawing with her crayons, she aks me to draw things for her all the time. She does not really draw herself. A little bit. A couple of rings and lines. (I am not expecting more) - but than she starts telling me to draw a bus or a cat or whatever.

If I say: draw it yourself honey! she starts whining and saying: I canĀ“t, you do it!

And I do worry that we already made her question herself ...

what should I do? I thought children at that age just draw happily ... without worrying about shapes and forms and stuff...maybe I am wrong...

mum21andtwins's Avatar mum21andtwins 06:46 PM 01-26-2009
my ds went trough a phase around 3. I told him it was his drawing and I'd draw along side him. took a little while but he loves drawing & painting now

hth!
NoliMum's Avatar NoliMum 07:23 PM 01-26-2009
We switch back and forth. If she has a particular thing she wants me to draw, I do it for her. I imagine it's kind of like reading aloud- she enjoys watching the picture come to life before her. I don't tell her to draw it herself; I think it is less about the final drawing and more about watching Mommy work through the process. Just like watching Mommy cook or clean or sew.

She is not reluctant to color on her own, though. She is almost three and has started the human form drawings of a big circle with dots for eyes, a line for a mouth, and looooong, reaching limbs. I love watching her draw just as much as she loves watching me.
cera's Avatar cera 09:14 PM 01-26-2009
Ahh a good post, my ds age 2 is constantly telling me "u do it" for almost everything. It makes me wonder how other mama's get their littles to do something on their own. I don't really remember having this issue with my eldest, he was quite content to play on his own, now is another story, lol. But little ds wants me to do it all, playdoh, color, paint, play with his toys......ugh, it never ends. I don't mind a whole lot but it is quite frustrating trying to explain to dh why nothing ever seems to get done.
crookedsprout's Avatar crookedsprout 09:15 PM 01-26-2009
maybe she just doesn't remember what they exactly look like. It quite difficult to look at an object, remember it later, and draw from memory. I still have difficulty doing this.

I also think it's fine to draw some things for her, but maybe you could find her a simple picture to draw from. Also, have her draw things from around your house. You could set up a still life for with a couple fruits and vegetables.

Artists come in different forms and it sounds like yours is interested in realism rather than abstraction or imaginative art right now.
cottontail's Avatar cottontail 12:27 AM 01-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cera View Post
Ahh a good post, my ds age 2 is constantly telling me "u do it" for almost everything. It makes me wonder how other mama's get their littles to do something on their own. I don't really remember having this issue with my eldest, he was quite content to play on his own, now is another story, lol. But little ds wants me to do it all, playdoh, color, paint, play with his toys......ugh, it never ends. I don't mind a whole lot but it is quite frustrating trying to explain to dh why nothing ever seems to get done.

This pretty much describes my oldest DD, almost 2.5. There is no free play here as much as I try. But it will happen eventually, right? Right?
mimi!'s Avatar mimi! 01:49 AM 01-27-2009
When ds was younger, I would draw on side of something and suggest he attempt the other side. This got to be really fun for us and we put together faces, animals, etc. It was kind of a way I got to 'show' him that he can draw.
KatelynsMomma's Avatar KatelynsMomma 12:20 AM 01-28-2009
same story here with DD. you do it mommy....for coloring. i'm lucky if there is one scribble on the page. i usually sit and color with her---just humming a tune as i work---and she watches happily then wants to color on my picture and call it her own. lol i'm thinking it is a phase she will outgrow. she's more interested in playing with the block crayons....stacking them, standing them on end...etc.
Triniity's Avatar Triniity 04:30 PM 01-28-2009
maybe one of the problems is, that I can't draw at all. I cannot even draw a bus. (I mean, not really). so, i am not really happy with drawing for her...
crookedsprout's Avatar crookedsprout 08:28 PM 02-02-2009
I just ran into this link...sounds like a common problem

http://artfulparent.wordpress.com/20...draw-for-them/
Up