Any gift ideas for year-end teacher gift? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We love our daughter's pre-K Waldorf teacher and teacher's assistant. They are wonderful people and wonderful for my daughter. We missed the boat at Christmastime, , and I've felt really uneasy and lousy about that (we were in a hectic escrow in December then moved a few days after Christmas). Anyway, I want to express our appreciation in a nice letter, drawing/card made by my daugher, and a generous gift. I know "cash is king", but is that tacky?? My other thoughts were a gift certificate to our Rudolph Steiner College bookstore or ? Any feedback is welcome.
#2 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 AM

I think cash is just great I read the parenting site Ask Moxie, and 2007 xmas, there was a whole in depth discussion about gifts for teachers and daycare. 2008, Moxie flat-out said to give cash ~ child care is more precious than soap or candles! I know, it's weird to think of giving a teacher cash, but it's never the wrong size or color!!!!!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#3 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
mlh

I always feel weird giving cash. I would go for the gift certificate!

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#4 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 PM

if the economy wasnt so bad, i'd say a GC to thir favorite place, or a "cover all" pre-paid visa or mastercard.. but in these times i'd consider cash though (ETA: with a note to use it for themselves and not the class. I only wouldn't do GCs because many places are going under before people can use them ).

My dd's are in public school though, and that it is any easier/harder i think... but my dd2's teacher loves seeing all my knit stuff (cause she can no longer knit herself), so i know i'm going to start something for her soon... just not sure what. But something more then a dishcloth

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#5 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM

As a teacher (not at a waldorf school, but a public one) I would be really bothered by a cash gift. It seems really inappropriate to me. But I always loved to get coffee shop gift certificates, since buying coffee was always a real treat.
#6 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Oh my goodness, is it already time to start thinking about "year end"??!! Ha ha. To answer your questions, we always give a gift card to the local natural foods store. That way it's a gift, but it's kinda cash too.
#7 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM

We are giving a few books for the classroom library and a giftcard. I would feel really funny just giving her cash.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#8 of 13 Old 05-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Bump!

I need more ideas. I can do small gc's so I want to add something else maybe handmade. Plus he has a man teacher so chocolate/soaps/candles seem inappropriate.

HELP!

Tara - Mother to Curtis 12/04 and Clark 11/07
#9 of 13 Old 05-18-2009, 03:06 PM

I would love, as a teacher, a bottle of biodynamic wine, a loaf of nice homemade bread, and some cheese or herb infused olive oil. And a sweet handmade card from my student.

Could also do local beer (if he drinks beer), homemade seasoned popcorn, and some kind of local yumminess like garlic or a basket of farm eggs or a steiner bookstore gift card.

Or a locally roasted lb of coffee or herbal tea, homemade bread and local preserves.

I think that every Waldorf teacher, male or female, would love a handmade bar of soap or some beeswax candles in addition to any of the above, or a simple gift card, flowers from your garden, and a card!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#10 of 13 Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM

Does he garden? Along the crafty route you could make something like this http://www.kiwimagonline.com/ecocraf...s_saladpot.php
Maybe add some new garden gloves and tools.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#11 of 13 Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I've never met a man that would turn down homemade treats! Cookies or bread or jam or anything like that. :-D
#12 of 13 Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 PM

Our school has a gifting program where a card is placed for each teacher at the front office and anyone can place $$ for that person.
The card is also signed by each family and then the teacher gets a nice collective gift. We did this and my daughter and I also gave her teacher a card and a homemade beeswax candle.
I think this is a nice setup and people can give what they can.

Happy mom/wife to dd (July 2004) and dh, veggie personal chef : , waldorfy & thrifty crafter
#13 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 AM

As a teacher, my fav gifts have often been books a child or parent has picked for me. I love reading and often would wonder why a book "found me" at a particular time. What was the hidden message? I feel a very special connection to students who have given me books - especially with notes or inscriptions.

As for gift cards, yes of course I like those too. But make sure they are good gift cards for the recipient. I get about $200 in Starbucks cards every year - and I don't drink coffee. I don't mean to sound ungrateful - but man O man would I love to have that 200 bucks towards something I really like.

This year, I received another gift I really liked! I got a Whole Foods Feed Bag. This is a spendy reusable grocery bag but the money funds school lunches in impoverished countries. :

Lastly, about the homemade goodies. While they are appreciated, I usually have a family vacation planned close to the time they were given. Sometimes I have time to drive to the local shelter and donate the dozens of cookies and candies and breads before I go to the airport. But sometimes, sadly, they just go bad and are wasted.

In a nutshell: do a little research. Trust me, your teacher will be blown away by the "perfect" gift. The one that says you care as much about her/him as she/he did about your child. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page