Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
I LOVE the breadbox barn!

I think Waldorf can very easily be done on a budget. As a matter of fact, I think it *should* be done on a budget. If you look at the basic toy/play philosophies of Waldorf, none of them say, "Fill a playroom full of expensive wooden toys." Yep, the toys can be gorgeous, but I think it can be very easy for us parents to get caught up in buying them instead of truly looking at what our children need. Boatbaby said something on another thread about how she got tired of seeing nature tables full of expensive Ostheimer figures but no NATURE, which I thought summed it up pretty nicely.

Take a look at "Toymaking With Children" by Freya Jaffke. It's a wonderful resource and a good reminder about what Waldorf play is truly about.
:

I totally agree with what you say, at the same time though, I don't think there is anything wrong with parents who would like to buy expensive wooden toys for their children if that is how they wish to spend their money. The Ostheimer figures are between £6 - £15 in the UK which may seem expensive, but these toys are going to be played with in some families for many years and can be passed down to grandchildren and great grandchildren even! Some people are shocked at how much they are, as plastic ones are half the price but then quite often these same individuals don't think twice about spending £60 on a meal out in the evening or £50 for a haircut or £100's of pounds on an annual summer holiday. I love to treat my LO's to the Ostheimer figures, I think they are utterly beautiful...but then we also have lots of nature inside our house aswell as growing lots of vegetables and flowers in our garden. So I choose to spend my money on my children, but I don't go to the cinema or go out for meals or buys lots of clothes for example and we holiday in the UK rather than travelling abroad for example. I think it's about individual choice, YES, Waldorf can be done on a budget, very beautifully too, but at the same time I don't think it HAS to be either. You can have a mix of nature, the handmade, the budget toys and the expensive toys too, if thats your choice. So I don't think it should or shouldn't be done on a budget, I think it is what is right for the individual family.

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 04:38 PM

and yet again !! you ladies are amazing!! so true! sounds a lot like our household almost time to get our garden ready :
: i decorate our house with our ostheimers : as well as have them out for the girlies

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
:

I totally agree with what you say, at the same time though, I don't think there is anything wrong with parents who would like to buy expensive wooden toys for their children if that is how they wish to spend their money. The Ostheimer figures are between £6 - £15 in the UK which may seem expensive, but these toys are going to be played with in some families for many years and can be passed down to grandchildren and great grandchildren even! Some people are shocked at how much they are, as plastic ones are half the price but then quite often these same individuals don't think twice about spending £60 on a meal out in the evening or £50 for a haircut or £100's of pounds on an annual summer holiday. I love to treat my LO's to the Ostheimer figures, I think they are utterly beautiful...but then we also have lots of nature inside our house aswell as growing lots of vegetables and flowers in our garden. So I choose to spend my money on my children, but I don't go to the cinema or go out for meals or buys lots of clothes for example and we holiday in the UK rather than travelling abroad for example. I think it's about individual choice, YES, Waldorf can be done on a budget, very beautifully too, but at the same time I don't think it HAS to be either. You can have a mix of nature, the handmade, the budget toys and the expensive toys too, if thats your choice. So I don't think it should or shouldn't be done on a budget, I think it is what is right for the individual family.

I get this, but my post was not an attack on parents who spend their money on expensive toys. WE have some expensive toys. My dh is a woodworker - I know why toys are priced the way that they are.

No one will ever be able to convince me that what Steiner had in mind was a huge playroom packed with every wooden toy under the sun. That's what I was attempting to stress. I think, though, sadly - that a lot of parents continue to buy and buy and buy because the toys *are* so beautiful. Sorry if it came across differently.

I'm feeling a bit disillusioned with waldorf right now, so perhaps that's coming across in my post. We have NO ONE in our community that understands/knows about waldorf, so my online community and blogs are all that I have. But lately it seems like everything is just about what toy to buy next. I stopped reading a popular waldorf blog recently b/c it just seemed like every post was "look, here's another pretty object that you should want to buy too." So much about possessions everywhere and not as much about application.

Or maybe I'm just old and cranky.

A happy woman
Old 03-15-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I'm feeling a bit disillusioned with waldorf right now, so perhaps that's coming across in my post. We have NO ONE in our community that understands/knows about waldorf, so my online community and blogs are all that I have. But lately it seems like everything is just about what toy to buy next. I stopped reading a popular waldorf blog recently b/c it just seemed like every post was "look, here's another pretty object that you should want to buy too." So much about possessions everywhere and not as much about application.
Oh, I KNOW that I am toy obsessed! However, I would be w/ or w/out Waldorf! I just LOVE TOYS! Some people watch tv, I peruse toy websites I also do this b/c to get many of the toys I want for dd, I have to plan the purchases so as not to overextend our budget. I haven't given dd any new toys in a while b/c we play w/ all of her things from xmas, and Easter & her birthday are only 2 weeks apart this year, so she will get loaded up, I'm sure! I did buy her a Waldorf-style bunny doll for Easter already : And when 3 sisters had their 25% off sale, I bought things for b-day and for next xmas so I could save some cash!! So, that is me and my hobby/interest

I do agree, tho, that less is better. DD is not going to come up w/ new ideas for her blocks if I keep buying her new block sets. Not to mention, her favourite toy the other day was an empty Reese's Pieces candy box! She literally carried it around all day & even pretended to feed dh and me from the box! I definitely think that Waldorf is way more about things that you are doing rather than toys that you have, but I think the fact that the toys are so beautiful does not help in this area.

Nicole, I think that is neat that you decorate w/ your figures. It is a family collection, not just some toys in a box.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I get this, but my post was not an attack on parents who spend their money on expensive toys. WE have some expensive toys. My dh is a woodworker - I know why toys are priced the way that they are.

No one will ever be able to convince me that what Steiner had in mind was a huge playroom packed with every wooden toy under the sun. That's what I was attempting to stress. I think, though, sadly - that a lot of parents continue to buy and buy and buy because the toys *are* so beautiful. Sorry if it came across differently.

I understand what you were trying to say now.It's true, it is hard to stop wanting the toys when they are so beautiful! I just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel when you say about no one understanding you in your community. I don't know anyone who knows about Waldorf let alone truely understands what we are trying to achieve in our family. To be honest with you, it is a lot of 'raised eyebrow' and a bit of 'so what on earth do i buy your child then?' and a bit of 'you do what?' and a bit of 'TV free, what do you mean?' My twin is very interested in it so at least I can talk to her about it but other than that this is the only board I hang out on. Everyone on here is so amazing and supportive and really helpful.

I'd love to know what blog you meant but i know you can't say......

Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Nah, if you're old and cranky, so am I

I've been feeling the same way lately and it's probably a good thing. Not much to entice me to stay online (not that you Ladies aren't wonderful, but I hope you know what I mean) so I've been spending more time with the kiddos trying to figure out what Waldorf really means to us. I have all the "right" books, but I feel like sometimes I have so much Waldorf in the head and not feeling it in the heart.

Sorry that there isn't a Waldorf support network readily available where you live. Wish a bunch of you lived closer

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM

:

Marina you too kthe words right out of my mouth

you know its funny it seems like a lot of us are at that point right now.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
:

Marina you too kthe words right out of my mouth

you know its funny it seems like a lot of us are at that point right now.
:

I know 1 other family (and she posts here) who doesn't look at me like my had is on backwards... and we're not even "hardcore" (ie we have some tv, beeping toys, etc) and most of my other friends looks like i grew a 3rd head.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM

You all need to move to my neighborhood! In our church community, many of us cloth diaper & breastfeed, some of us ec, some of us are really into natural toys, we are all into caring for the environment, etc etc, AND many of us live w/ in walking distance of each other. We really are an anomaly. There is always some "weird" idea being tried by SOMEBODY, so even if you are the only family doing it (like us and tv-free), you are still not lone weirdos.

jumpers.gif

Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 AM

Whoa...not so fast, everyone...I'm all about the TV - I mean, I am a LOST fan.

But I am glad to know that others struggle with feeling similarly. I do rather like you lot, you know. :

A happy woman
Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloHoneySF View Post
I have all the "right" books, but I feel like sometimes I have so much Waldorf in the head and not feeling it in the heart.

I was wondering if you could explain a bit more what you meant here! I'm interested and nosey! Don't worry if you don't want to though!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
I was wondering if you could explain a bit more what you meant here! I'm interested and nosey! Don't worry if you don't want to though!
hmmm, I guess what I'm saying is that I have a lot of resources (books, etc) here so I "know" what I should be doing the waldorf way... I've put a lot of energy into making our home a sanctuary and a soothing place for our family where creativity can flow freely, but at the end of the day- kids are still kids and I'm still human and still find myself screaming at them for some lovely mischief they've concocted- like taking all the dirt out of the houseplants and throwing it all around to make "brown rain" (which was yesterdays debacle)

Sometimes I just don't LOVE Waldorf, there are days when I feel like life would be easier to just turn on the TV and give myself a break. Sometimes I just feel like I'm going through the motions with all the different festivals.

So for now, I've put all the books away on the bookshelf (I usually have them out on an end table for quick reference) so I'm not feeling constantly reminded what I'm doing wrong and I'm trying to approach things more moment by moment rather than looking forward asking myself "is this the Waldorf way of doing things?". I realize that it's my own self-judgement and I should be easier on myself. I just want to feel like this journey is coming naturally and not just rules I am following

I came across this blog posting which helped me breathe a little easier while at the same time made me realize that maybe we aren't meant to be a strictly waldorf family (ie- #6 re: playdates and classes, I would D.I.E. of isolation if we didn't have playdates)

So my apologies for taking this thread in a totally different direction...

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM

thank you for posting that blog link marina! how great!!

i had to at the playdate thing. im such a homebody that it's hard to get me out of the house but i can tell that kaulini NEEDS to get out every now and then and needs her playdates.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
My husband and I do watch a little tv on the pc thru Netflix and Hulu, but we do not put on kid shows for our daughter. We always try to wait until she is in bed to watch, but some nights, she is not ready yet and it is late, so she sits w/ us to watch, but she doesn't really watch.

jumpers.gif

Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
thank you for posting that blog link marina! how great!!
Totally! That should be required reading! A dose of reality helps a lot when you want to be perfect---which really means being destined to fail. I love the peak into reality that people sometimes do in their blogs. It's so easy to put the best face forward with a few paragraphs and a couple of photos. I neeeeeeed to see sometimes that people are trying as hard as I am and everyone still has weak points!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:45 PM

i should add i was thinking this happens with everything,not just waldorf kwim? so we shouldnt be hard on ourselves.there are days i wish i used sposies instead of cloth b/c then i wouldn't have to do the laundry or that i wish i didn't make my own baby food form scratch.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

i love that blog link, it makes me feel LOADS better.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks for posting that link Marina. We are also not strictly Waldorf, more loosely inspired really and I often find myself beating myself up for certain decisions I have made or not made. That blog entry was a nice reminder that I do not have to be "by the book" so to speak. I find it funny that I am giving myself such a hard time even though we are admittedly not strictly Waldorf. I guess that sometimes we are our own worst enemies when it comes to how we feel about our parenting/lifestyle choices.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:

But I am glad to know that others struggle with feeling similarly. I do rather like you lot, you know. :
We also love our tv over here, well I should say DH loves our tv. We are tv free during the day until our youngest goes to bed. I didn't think I could live without the tv until we made the rule and now I really could care less about watching it. We still watch tv in the evenings but when dh is out of town I personally rarely turn the tv on once the kids are in bed, I also have pvr though so anything I NEED to watch does get taped so it's not really an issue for me. I also let little ds watch a movie every once in a blue moon, when he is really sick or on a REALLY bad day. My eldest watches some tv on weekends too but he did grow up with the tv on all day long in a VERY mainstream environment. You'll find it's very common for a lot of "tv free" households to not actually really be completely tv free. When I say we are tv free I really mean my kids are and it's 95% of the time you know?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloHoneySF View Post
hmmm, I guess what I'm saying is that I have a lot of resources (books, etc) here so I "know" what I should be doing the waldorf way... I've put a lot of energy into making our home a sanctuary and a soothing place for our family where creativity can flow freely, but at the end of the day- kids are still kids and I'm still human and still find myself screaming at them for some lovely mischief they've concocted- like taking all the dirt out of the houseplants and throwing it all around to make "brown rain" (which was yesterdays debacle)

Sometimes I just don't LOVE Waldorf, there are days when I feel like life would be easier to just turn on the TV and give myself a break. Sometimes I just feel like I'm going through the motions with all the different festivals.

So for now, I've put all the books away on the bookshelf (I usually have them out on an end table for quick reference) so I'm not feeling constantly reminded what I'm doing wrong and I'm trying to approach things more moment by moment rather than looking forward asking myself "is this the Waldorf way of doing things?". I realize that it's my own self-judgement and I should be easier on myself. I just want to feel like this journey is coming naturally and not just rules I am following

I came across this blog posting which helped me breathe a little easier while at the same time made me realize that maybe we aren't meant to be a strictly waldorf family (ie- #6 re: playdates and classes, I would D.I.E. of isolation if we didn't have playdates)

So my apologies for taking this thread in a totally different direction...
Thanks for explaining! I related alot to your reply (esp. about shouting at the kids sometimes, and questioning whether I'm doing things the waldorf way etc) and it made me realise why I haven't decided yet what festivals we are going to celebrate. My twin has been asking me for the past few months which ones we are going to do and I haven't been answering b/c I need to figure out which ones we want to celebrate as a family and what we are comfortable celebrating. I too don't want to go through the motions just b/c we have too. So I haven't figured it out yet. I would like to celebrate Easter but not in the traditional Christian sense but more in a celebration of Spring kind of way IYKWIM so I might do this rather than celebrating the first official day of spring. We might see it from its Pagan roots rather than its Christian roots as we aren't really a religious/Christian family. For my LO's the Easter Bunny will come, maybe a treasure hunt in the garden and possibly decorating eggs or making Easter cookies and then a special Easter tea party.

The link you put was so funny, I think I will print it out and stick in on the fridge!!!!!!!

User Tag List