2 random silly things... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. ready for a big oxymoron?

a waldorf inspired commercial on tv : have any of you seen the dunkin donuts commercial where it shows the kids in the living room turning into zombies getting sucked into the tv and then the dad bring home dunkin donuts and they come back to life to eat? that commercial cracks me up

ok the other thing...

2.what is up with our society and children's imagination?!
my dh and i had ot go to an interview for his recruiting job the other day and a woman he works with watched our 3yo dd (while my baby came with us). my 3yo had a bag filled with snacks,water,toys,crafts,blank paper,crayons scissors..everything. she was all set!

well we come back from the interview and she has some talking toy in her hands and coloring book pages in front of her. no biggie
this lady watched her for us out of the kindness of her heart so of course i didn't say anything but it really made me think, why did she feel the need ot do that? what is it with our society? why does everyone feel that kids can't have imaginations or creatvity on their own and need something to do it for them?
blah.

anyways just had to share!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM

I just came back from visiting family and thinking how pages from a coloring book completely changes the activity. I have only provided blank paper for my kids at home and here a family member gave my poor son a coloring book. He was sitting with the predrawn coloring page having a 20 minute hysterical fit because he couldn't keep the marks in the lines, though he will sit for an hour with blank paper and not make a peep. It is very striking to me how such a seemingly innocent act can shift the focus so dramatically.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
I just came back from visiting family and thinking how pages from a coloring book completely changes the activity. I have only provided blank paper for my kids at home and here a family member gave my poor son a coloring book. He was sitting with the predrawn coloring page having a 20 minute hysterical fit because he couldn't keep the marks in the lines, though he will sit for an hour with blank paper and not make a peep. It is very striking to me how such a seemingly innocent act can shift the focus so dramatically.
I never thought about that! I can see my son getting that way in another year or two. He's a very black and white kind of kid about certain thinks. Wants to do it JUST RIGHT. (We're working on that.) I've always just taped a big chunk from a roll of paper on the table and let him go nuts. Coloring books just seem like a waste of money to me. Esp this age where he'd probably just scribble a few lines on each page. He has way more fun with a big roll of paper. And if I want to preserve some of his drawings, I just cut them out of the roll.

ps. I've seen that commercial and it's CREEPY. Break the tv trance with sugary donuts! :P Not that we never do junk food or anything, but it's a strange commercial nonetheless.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3901sca View Post
I never thought about that! I can see my son getting that way in another year or two. He's a very black and white kind of kid about certain thinks. Wants to do it JUST RIGHT. (We're working on that.) I've always just taped a big chunk from a roll of paper on the table and let him go nuts. Coloring books just seem like a waste of money to me. Esp this age where he'd probably just scribble a few lines on each page. He has way more fun with a big roll of paper. And if I want to preserve some of his drawings, I just cut them out of the roll.

ps. I've seen that commercial and it's CREEPY. Break the tv trance with sugary donuts! :P Not that we never do junk food or anything, but it's a strange commercial nonetheless.
yeah its pretty silly tv and junk!

cosmos-wow what a difference!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Even in mainstream ECE coloring books are deemed very inappropriate.

My ds will happily color - even a plain graphite pencil and some junk mail makes him happy - for half an hour at a stretch (if you knew ds you would realize this is a very long time for him to be sitting in one place!). But the one time my mil gave him a coloring book he had a total melt down. It was amazing actually. He thought it was a story book and was so frustrated with my attempt to make up a story to go along with it. When he realized it was for coloring first he resisted - since everyone knows you don't color in books! - and then he finally lost it when he kept making "mistakes" (his words ) As soon as my mil left that thing was used to start a fire in the woodstove!

I haven't seen that Dunkin Donuts commercial but I have to pass a store on my way to town, and they seem to really be pushing the whole "family treat" thing. There is always some message on the sign about getting something for the kids. Blech! I like donuts every so often but we have a nice local place where we get better donuts and better service for less money.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Old 04-11-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
2.what is up with our society and children's imagination?!
my dh and i had ot go to an interview for his recruiting job the other day and a woman he works with watched our 3yo dd (while my baby came with us). my 3yo had a bag filled with snacks,water,toys,crafts,blank paper,crayons scissors..everything. she was all set!

well we come back from the interview and she has some talking toy in her hands and coloring book pages in front of her. no biggie
this lady watched her for us out of the kindness of her heart so of course i didn't say anything but it really made me think, why did she feel the need ot do that? what is it with our society? why does everyone feel that kids can't have imaginations or creatvity on their own and need something to do it for them?
blah.

anyways just had to share!
My mom LOVES to buy stuff for our kids and since I try to pick and choose my battles wisely (because God knows there are SO many of them ) I didn't say anything when she brought over Nascar and Disney coloring books recently. She already thinks I'm a total control freak when it comes to the kids, I didn't have the energy to explain why I feel it's better for them to just have plain pieces of paper to draw on, I just hid the books away after my parents left... sigh

(Hope the interview went well for your DH, btw ! )

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08

User Tag List