Anyone have crystals and such? Where do you display them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is kind of Waldorfy, and I'm not sure where else to put it, so...

We are a family that quite likes collecting minerals, crystals, semi-precious stones and so forth. Occasionally I will use them as part of a nature table, but truth be told, I have 3 kiddos under 4 and most of the time I am too tired to keep up with the nature table and I grow weary of the kids upending it all, crushing leaves all over the house etc... so for now, I'm looking for something a little more lock & key IYKWIM?

ATM, most of our collection is displayed in...a dresser drawer. I really want to find a way to showcase these objects so that we can all enjoy them, but I don't want anything that looks overly formal or fussy as we live in a fairly vintagey / cottagey kind of place. But if I just put our pieces out on a bookshelf of mantel, I know they'll get broken for sure.

So if you were me, where would you put this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 AM

We keep our collection of shells and rocks and such in one of those old drawer inserts that they used to keep typeset letters in umptee-billion years ago. Ours IS one of those inserts, and you may be able to find one at a flea market but I got mine from my mom. They also sell smaller versions of these as "Miniature displays" or something the sort. It's hung up out of reach of my children, and although the older one is able to reach the lower shelves of it he knows not to mess with its contents. You could also find, or if you're handy build a "Treasure Table" a sort of deep table with a hinged lid and a glass top that's framed so you can see the contents. You could then install a lock on the table.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#3 of 5 Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 PM

I don't have a collection but what about a fish tank??? You could set up a nature scene and use the stones in there?
#4 of 5 Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

MommaFox, I know just what you're talking about. I actually have one of those - ours used to be a printer's drawer - and use it to display seashells. I really love your treasure table idea. I could probably even hack something like that from an eBay desk or similar.

Kibba, thanks! That is a very cool suggestion - especially given my husband is desperate for an aquarium. I just can't handle the maintenance right now but a terrarium with our crystal display or something along those lines might be the perfect compromise!
#5 of 5 Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Great ideas! I have a wooden aquarium stand that we are not using because I didn't want fish, now I know what we will use it for. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page