are kinder lyre kits easy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to get ds (almost 2) a kinder lyre for christmas and I'm looking at Harps of Lorian kits. I think the kit would be a nice indoor project for us this winter. Has anyone put one together? How difficult is it? I enjoy beginning woodworking but I'm by no means experienced in any skills. I'd hate to mess up such an expensive instrument. Any thoughts?
#2 of 4 Old 08-17-2009, 12:32 AM

We got a Kinder Lyre kit from Harps of Lorien and it was really easy to put together. All you have to do is sand the lyre, apply a finish, cut wires, thread it, screw the pins down, and tune it.

Ask the owner if he has any second quality kits. We got a really good discount and the only flaws were that two pin holes were visible from the back. I also suggest buying a case so it doesn't get damaged if you take it places and an extra set of strings because I broke a string when I tried tuning it
#3 of 4 Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
We got a Kinder Lyre kit from Harps of Lorien and it was really easy to put together. All you have to do is sand the lyre, apply a finish, cut wires, thread it, screw the pins down, and tune it.

Ask the owner if he has any second quality kits. We got a really good discount and the only flaws were that two pin holes were visible from the back. I also suggest buying a case so it doesn't get damaged if you take it places and an extra set of strings because I broke a string when I tried tuning it
Exactly this! We got the seconds kit for $75 from Harps of Lorien and it's really beautiful. It was fun and easy to put together and easy to learn to play too. I would second the recommendation to get a second set of strings - we didn't break one yet, but I can see how it would be easy to do. I'd also recommend an electronic guitar tuner (Harps of Lorien sells one) because I had trouble tuning it without one.

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#4 of 4 Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 AM

The sanding and waxing would be really fun for your little one! We have a KinderLyre (it was not a kit), and have really enjoyed it. And extra strings are really great to have around!

so many roads to ease my soul...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page