Where can I get a specific Waldorf toy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to an open house at a Waldorf school. The school was too far away for us, but I did like it.

My son loved this simple toy. It was curved wooden board. He used it as a tunnel, a ramp, and a balance board. I've called a couple of Waldorf toy stores with no success.

Any ideas what it's called or how I can get one?

Thanks.
#2 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 05:19 PM

the only thing i can think of is this-

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=689
#3 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 PM

If that's not it, can you call the school and see if anyone knows what it's called or where they got it?

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#4 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 PM

is it a plain curved board, about five feet long? if so, it's an old ikea "lounger" that was sold with a lime green cushion several years ago. a lot of waldorf school seem to have them around here, i don't know the name, but perhaps you could google it? good luck with your search.
#5 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. I talked to a friend who lives near the school, and she said that she saw these boards for sale during the holiday craft fair. Now I just have to wait until December.

I bet it is the Ikea lounger. It really is a great toy. Certainly a better toy than a chair
#6 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 11:46 PM

There was another thread about this toy a while ago, Ill see if I can find it.. Okay, found it! It is called a "rocker board": http://www.mothering.com/discussions...t=curved+board

Otherwise, yeah, they should really bring back that lounger chair.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#7 of 12 Old 08-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Yup, you're talking about a rocker board! My DD's Waldorf school has them and she loves to go 'surfing' on them.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#8 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 PM

I'm a former Waldorf early childhood teacher, and I considered the Waldorf Rocker Boards to be the most valuable toys in my classroom! They are open ended toys that can be played with in so many ways. They become boats, slides, bridges, ramps and cradles. I had four in my classroom and they were the first thing the children would go to during free play time.

Up until now, they haven't been widely available except to Waldorf teachers, but I am excited to now be able to offer them through my online Waldorf toys shop, Bella Luna Toys.

#9 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 PM

oops!

#10 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Sarah,  I am so excited to see that you are now selling them too!  We had quite a search trying to get one about 6 months ago.  They are such fantastic toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Baldwin View Post

I'm a former Waldorf early childhood teacher, and I considered the Waldorf Rocker Boards to be the most valuable toys in my classroom! They are open ended toys that can be played with in so many ways. They become boats, slides, bridges, ramps and cradles. I had four in my classroom and they were the first thing the children would go to during free play time.

Up until now, they haven't been widely available except to Waldorf teachers, but I am excited to now be able to offer them through my online Waldorf toys shop, Bella Luna Toys.

#11 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

i live in NZ. I'll have to ask around to find one. I know my son would love this. Seriously, the boy will play with anything. i love that our bench is a bench, an airplane, a truck, a play kitchen, a fireplace, and many other things that I haven't figured out what they are yet (it's an outdoor, simple wooden bench). 

i love open-ended toys. 

#12 of 12 Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 PM

It took me two years to find someone who was able to make the Rocker Boards for me. The designer of the original didn't have time to make them in quantity, or the ability to pack and ship them easily. As a result, it was most only Waldorf teachers who would travel to our annual conference in NY who were able to get them. But once people see them in use, everybody wants one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page