The Waldorf-Inspired Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 109 Old 07-31-2010, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am loving that this thread got bumped up!

I would definitely classify us as waldorf inspired! I was full on waldorf, then we opened our lives to a consensual living/ unschooling path and i didn't know how to mesh the two lifestyles.

After going on a two month vacation in hotels and friends houses I realized that my waldorf days were actually very important.

Our lives have been star bucks, holiday inn express, ipad movies and plastic!

We were all wigging out!

Last two weeks we need serious healing, so we have been doing circle time, beeswax candles, enchanted tea hour, lots of singing and story time AND i broke back out some knitting supplies.

My dd1 is so sensitive to others anxieties and emotions, i really have to be so mindful of her surroundings and exposure to things. We spent a week in the redwoods and her faerie self was just singing!

We FINALLY found our place to settle and our things get delivered next week. I cannot wait to get out our art/watercolor supplies and our play stands and set a calm environment.

I'm also actually really inspired by steiner and anthroposophy.....i identify as pagan, but i still really love the theory behind it. I also love the tradition, the saints, the festivals and and and.

I'm all in to mixing lately... Learning to incorporate the old with the new.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#92 of 109 Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I am homeschooling 4th, 3rd, and Kindy/1st grade this year. I also have a LO due in November, so our schedule is a little off and we are starting next week.

I've been working on planning everything and it's soooo hard to plan the day for three seperate main lessons! I know some people combine them but the older two at least are really pulled to the "traditional" MLBs for this year-my oldest wants to do zoology and Norse Myths and my ds is into the NA and creation stories as well as farming. So that is complicating things a bit. Usually I just combine them. I am using bits of Christopherus and Live Ed as well as stuff on the web, but we are more Waldorf-inspired since we are doing art lessons and SOTW history once a week each, as well. I'm trying to cram in a bunch before baby gets here and we really slacked off last year.
I'm glad this thread is going again. To Kittywitty--how have you liked Live Ed? I'm considering it for 3rd grade and up. I've seen samples of Christopherus and it didn't speak to me. How do they compare?

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#93 of 109 Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So happy to see this thread going again!

I'm in a bit of a bind with Nicholas, my third. He's very much in his own head. Anyone here who is on my Facebook has been entertained (I hope, LOL!) with stories of the Nicholites, his imaginary army of invisible ghost friends. He's loving and mercurial and immature and lovely, and he's not ready for first grade. He turns seven on September 29.

Everything about him is immature. He selectively forgets how to hold a pencil. He has small motor issues, but can manage a computer and a game boy quite well (sacrilege!). His writing is very scrawly and rudimentary and he can pretty much write his name and that's it. He definitely has attention issues. If you looked at him, you would probably think he was a middle to old 5 rather than an almost 7. His dentist was shocked that his baby teeth were no where close to being ready to fall out.

So the question in, what do I do with this child for what should be his first grade year? I honestly don't think he's ready to read or write. He loves math and numbers though. I've been thinking of doing as much first grade stuff as I can without a strong focus on reading and writing (letter recognition, sounds, fairy tales, qualities of numbers, 4 processes, etc) but I'm worried I'm just making it worse.

Thoughts?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#94 of 109 Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
I'm glad this thread is going again. To Kittywitty--how have you liked Live Ed? I'm considering it for 3rd grade and up. I've seen samples of Christopherus and it didn't speak to me. How do they compare?
I love it, so far. I read through it once and wish I could afford the 3rd grade this year for my ds, as well. I've heard people complain that it was too much to grasp when you read through it and less instruction, more anthrop. but I strongly disagree. So far it's far more readable and easier to "get" than Christ. and Enki. I really like the other two, but this is much easier.

AnnetteMarie-I would slowly and gently introduce things to him, but focus more on the stories and art. Have you looked into OT for his sensory issues? Sounds like my ds who finally the past few months has gotten "over it" at age 8 and is writing more and is more mature. Once he got over that hump, it's been smooth sailing to almost catch up to his 9 yo sister.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#95 of 109 Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned

annettemarie:

since this is the "inspired" thread, i'll toss any direct anthroposophy and go forward. ok, quick nod to anthro--if his teeth aren't changing, then don't work forward with reading/writing.

aside from that, there are a lot of theories out there about boys development in particular, that they do well keeping academics aside (or sort of in a submarine sense, or on a back burner) until age 9 or so. until then--particularly those who are active and have "attention issues" (that are not actual, diagnosable problems, and therefore aren't really issues. probably, he can put his attention to those things to which he wants to put his attention!)--there is just too much to be doing in the body, and learning by playing that needs to be done.

this is not to say that boys are "developmentally delayed" they are simply different, and much of classroom study is geared toward female development (oddly enough), and also toward certain social standards of behavior as indicators of "mature and proper development" as opposed to what the development is in study/"actuality".

so, for me, i would not worry about it at all, and take an unschooling approach. of course, you do have a lot of children, so they might all go "what? but he's in first year now! he should be doing this!" and perhaps that is the case. perhaps there is a way to "codify" what he already does? that is to say, outdoor time (which he probably needs most anyway) is codified into specific activities that look more school like?

anyway, pitch whatever doesn't work for you.
#96 of 109 Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=kittywitty;15700598]I love it, so far. I read through it once and wish I could afford the 3rd grade this year for my ds, as well. I've heard people complain that it was too much to grasp when you read through it and less instruction, more anthrop. but I strongly disagree. So far it's far more readable and easier to "get" than Christ. and Enki. I really like the other two, but this is much easier.[QUOTE]

I had been considering Enki for kind-2nd, but would you recommend Live Ed grade 1 over Enki grade 1, for example? (I'm silently thinking to myself that it's so frustrating that I always like the MOST expensive options out there. Grrr.)

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#97 of 109 Old 08-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:

And while I'm at it, I don't want to knit. I don't think knitted things are cute, and neither do I like most wet or needle felted objects. I love creativity and I wish there were more Waldorf-approved creative outlets than these. I kind of feel like a black-sheep even writing this out, as knitting and felting seem to be sort of sacred in Waldorf circles.

I guess I'm really reacting against the rigidity of Waldorf dogma tonight. I'm thankful to have a safe place to share that.
I just wanted to say I can't knit and don't want to knit either!

I would absolutely love to learn to crochet properly though, I used to do it as a teen and found it a very relaxing craft activity. Another craft activity that I enjoy and isn't very 'waldorfy' is linoprinting! There's something very relaxing and satisfying about cutting and scraping away the bits of lino you don't want. It's a great way for making homemade cards and something I hope to teach my children when they are older.

Oh, and while this isn't exactly a craft, I love to bake!!!! I bake daily, cakes, biscuits......

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#98 of 109 Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM

Joining in!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#99 of 109 Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 PM

Hey, thanks for all the great advice about Nicholas. It's a lot to think about. I'm still not 100% sure what to do, but I do feel a lot more relaxed about the whole thing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#100 of 109 Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I had been considering Enki for kind-2nd, but would you recommend Live Ed grade 1 over Enki grade 1, for example? (I'm silently thinking to myself that it's so frustrating that I always like the MOST expensive options out there. Grrr.)
I don't have Live Ed 1st grade, but you can regularly find it inexpensive and used on the waldorfcurriculumandsupplies yahoo group. I do like Enki 1st grade, but have you checked out the Live Ed samples online for 1st? At the very least, I think Enki is a bit overwhelming and extremely expensive, so I would choose Live Ed, but Enki's stories are fantastic.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#101 of 109 Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I don't have Live Ed 1st grade, but you can regularly find it inexpensive and used on the waldorfcurriculumandsupplies yahoo group. I do like Enki 1st grade, but have you checked out the Live Ed samples online for 1st? At the very least, I think Enki is a bit overwhelming and extremely expensive, so I would choose Live Ed, but Enki's stories are fantastic.
I actually just got a Live Ed 1st grade set from that yahoo group (I can forsee this group being very dangerous for me, LOL!). I'm thinking of doing Enki kindy, though, or at least seeing if I can buy the fairy tales separately. I really do like Live Ed--I've devoured their site several times. It's the only Waldorf hs-ing site besides Enki that speaks to me. (I also ordered ALGF 1st grade because she was having a sale and I thought, why not?, just to try it out and compare to Live Ed).

Thanks for the suggestions!

#102 of 109 Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 AM

Oh!! I'd love to join this thread too! Some wonderful information from all of you!!

Jennifer Wife to my wonderful Husband, Jeremy, mama to my two amazing children DD B (04/14/2006), DS I (10/27/2007) and a precious little one due in June
#103 of 109 Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 PM

Just wanted to say that I used Enki for K and 1st and simply LOVED it! It is a bit "much" and overwhelming, because it is truly a whole library of resources. So I would get it in enough time to really look it all over, & plan out your year way ahead of time. It's not a an "open up the book and go" kind of curriculum at all. I think I started reading and planning 6 months ahead of time. But I'll tell you what, it was the most beautiful, wise, fun, creative, enjoyable program to work with. I look forward to my DD using it next year.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#104 of 109 Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 PM

So, how is homeschooling going for everyone so far this year?

AnnetteMarie, I have specifically been wondering how things are going for you? I can't remember if this is the thread, oh no, it was one about Waldorf homeschooling with lots of kids, I think. Anyway, wondering how it was going for you and how your pregnancy is going.

We had a bit of a bumpy start to our year, but now it is going pretty fabulously. It IS hard, at least for me, with lots of kids though. And, I feel like we are definitely more Waldorf-inspired than pure Waldorf these days.

I've got a 3rd grader and a 6yo Kindergartener this year, as well as a 3yo and a 1yo, and it is hard (for me) to keep them all happy and getting what they need.

I am loving Little Acorn Learning monthly guides for my littler ones, including Lilah, my Kindergartner. It makes planning much MUCH easier.

I am finding that Lilah wants more though. She says things like "Mama, that's not school, that's singing and cooking and art." She loves it, but she wants more. She is dying to read, and often tries to follow along with Noah's lessons.

I am seriously considering buying her some 'Explode the Code' books and teaching her to read. I know she would love it. I am torn. Noah went to public school for Kindy and learned to read there, so I never had to make this decision for him. Still thinking....

Noah is loving 3rd grade so far. We are doing all the main themes of a Waldorf 3rd grade while also using some more traditional/classical resources for language arts and math. We started with a lot of form drawing, which he loves and woodworking, which was a lot of fun. He/we built a workbench. He really enjoyed it, but I must admit that I was hoping that he would fall in love with woodworking, and, while he did really enjoy it, it hasn't quite turned into a hobby.

We're using Singapore math, Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons, and, so far, we both really like them all. I had kind of resisted moving away from Waldorf, but now that I have, I feel a huge relief. Also, I'm "assigning" him books from Sonlight's reading lists. He LOVES to read, but left to his own devices he would (and does) re-read Harry Potter over, and over, and over again. He has enjoyed all of the books I've assigned so far, so that's good.

I'm really looking forward to starting a Native American block in a few weeks. I think it will be a lot of fun for us all.

It IS tough to fit it all into one day though. We haven't done any music yet, and I'm feeling a little bit stressed/guilty about that.

So that is my, very long-winded, update. I'm looking forward to hearing about what all of the rest of you are up to this fall!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#105 of 109 Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post

AnnetteMarie, I have specifically been wondering how things are going for you? I can't remember if this is the thread, oh no, it was one about Waldorf homeschooling with lots of kids, I think. Anyway, wondering how it was going for you and how your pregnancy is going.
I actually just blogged about this this morning. It's been really really hard. Physically and emotionally, this has been my hardest pregnancy ever, and I'm never had easy pregnancies. The icing on the cake is that my husband, who is a pastor, has put in his mobility papers so we're looking at a new call/church sometime in the next year or so. We're hoping to end up closer to family (which in turn would land us closer to a great Waldorf school!).

Bottom line-- it isn't pretty and I wouldn't even necessarily call it Waldorf, but we're doing it. And I've been forced to really dig deep and look at the heart of why we chose Waldorf-inspired schooling. I believe the general main lesson topics speak to children's developmental stages, and so Nicholas and I cuddle up and read fairy tales and Katie Grace and I curl up and read Norse Mythology. The creativity is still there, but it's much more in the children's hands than guided by me. We still take things slowly and simply. The connections are all still there. The attachment is still there. Daniel is in the church preschool, and you know what? It hasn't killed him (or me, LOL!). He's loving it, so I am loving him being happy. And to be honest, having him gone for 2 1/2 hours in the morning means the rest of them can knock out most of school in that time, and they have a wonderful time when he's home.

So... two more months (or less) until the babies come. We'll see what happens then!

#106 of 109 Old 10-31-2010, 12:51 AM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#107 of 109 Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
arb

I am not a Christian but everything else you say here really resonates, especially the paragraphs below!

Quote:

~ Specific types of handwork and structured creativity. I'm not a knitter nor can I sew but I'm very crafty in other ways. I'm also the daughter of an artist so it really irritates me being told to box in creativity by only painting using a certain technique and certain colors. I also am not going to pay $20 for 3 Stockmar watercolor paints when watered down Crayola tempera paint has the same effect on wet paper. I've also found that oil pastels (and even bathtub crayons sold at Toys R Us and craft stores in the children's section) have the same rich colors and creamy texture as beeswax crayons and are so much more affordable. We have an artwall at our home, which is just a large portion of our wall covered with white easel paper, and below it markers, paints, crayons, and chalk. It's wonderful to just have a place for spontaneous creativity. And I have no problem with dd drawing forms at age 2.

~ Boxing in Learning. I really dislike that in Waldorf ideology there is a particular progression laid out unilaterally for every child of what must be learned and at what point it should be learned. Life isn't that simplistic nor is the human will. I think some children may not be interested in letters until age 7 and they should not be rushed in their journey, but nor should a precocious learner be held back. My own dd became obsessed with letter at 15 months old, and knew them all by 18 months. This was completely child-led, as she noticed letters everywhere in her world (ingredients containers, sign posts, doormats, etc.). She is currently 3.75 and can read quite a few words by sight. She's also discovered the basic principles of mathmatics simply from playing with nuts, shells, rocks, and blocks. She understands that if she has 5 nuts, she can put two in one hand and 3 in the other, and yet she still has 5. Again, totally child-led, and done within a Waldorf environment. And she is incarnating beautifully. She has quite a bit of "head" knowledge but runs, jumps, plays with vigor. Her imaginative world is rich in fantasy but she enjoys understanding the world around her. If she asks me why leaves turn color I will give her a true explanation that is on her level, not tell her that fairies painted them overnight. I get tired of Waldorf books being so black and white on this issue--they seem to present factual knowledge as being presented to children in esoteric scientific jargon or in the world of fantasy, the latter being the "approved" way. I'm also not going to present fairies, gnomes, elves as fact. I'll tell stories about them, I'll paint pictures of them, and I'll pretend with them, but I do not believe they exist and so I'm not going to present them to her as if they do. I think children enjoy fantasy but that they also appreciate non-fantasy and they both want and need to know the difference.
#108 of 109 Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM
arb

Curious to hear responses to this story!

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/fea..._fiction_bynum
#109 of 109 Old 11-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Okay, I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I'm very excited about it!!
We Waldorf-homeschooled ds for kindy and then put him into a wonderful art & development based school.
Waldorf-style living is very ingrained in our home at his point, though, and I am just now looking for a book on the second seven years. There are actually a lot of things about anthroposophic views of children that appeal to me, so I may be in the minority here.

Just thought I would share how ds after discovering Pokemon and Pokemon comic books (not something I am very excited about), has now spent the week-end, of his own volition, needle felting a pokemon : instead of wanting to buy toys, he knows that we make our own.

The way that he sees the world has been very shaped by Waldorf ideals, and it is so different from the way that I was raised. I am very grateful for his beautiful way of thinking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page