could you help me decide what size box to get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need your help! I am getting a box made from here:
http://my-kea.co.uk/home.html
We practise a sort of toy simplification in our home (well, in my eyes we do, but i'm sure there are other mama's who choose very few but very open ended toys! iykwim)

Well, So I've decided to have a wooden box made for us from reclaimed wood and this is what we need from it so it can have as many uses as possible:

-for it to be used as a house for the LO's to arrange some furniture in and play with there little evi dolls in there.
-for it to be used as a barn for LO's to put their Osthiemer figures in there.
-for it to be turned upside down and used as a little table so they can have tea parties in the play frame we are hoping to get
here's the link for the play frame:http://my-kea.co.uk/children.html

I am sure there was a mama on here that had a wooden box that was used for a doll house as well as a barn but I can't remember what thread i saw it in!

So if anyone has one/ or can help suggest a suitable size, that would be so helpfull!

Thank you very much!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#2 of 4 Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Oh, I just love that stuff! I was so inspired by it I had my dh bring home some planks and chunks of timber from a house he's building. The boys have been having so much fun with them! We currently have some playstands that get no use (besides storage) and I'm seriously thinking about asking dh to make a play frame and some plain shelves to replace them.

Do you know how thick the lumber is? It will probably be pretty heavy so you don't want something really big.

I'd say at least 8 inches high to accomodate the Evi's, maybe 16-18 inches long, and maybe 8 deep.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#3 of 4 Old 09-26-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post
Oh, I just love that stuff! I was so inspired by it I had my dh bring home some planks and chunks of timber from a house he's building. The boys have been having so much fun with them! We currently have some playstands that get no use (besides storage) and I'm seriously thinking about asking dh to make a play frame and some plain shelves to replace them.

Do you know how thick the lumber is? It will probably be pretty heavy so you don't want something really big.

I'd say at least 8 inches high to accomodate the Evi's, maybe 16-18 inches long, and maybe 8 deep.

Isn't it lovely SageR? Let us know if your DH makes a play frame, i would love to hear how it goes? Thank you for the size suggestion!

Still would love to hear from anyone who uses a basic wooden box for play and what people have found most useful

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#4 of 4 Old 09-26-2009, 10:19 AM

Hi MamaUK. My little one always goes for a few of her larger baskets when playing. They are 11x10x6 inches and 12x12x7.5 inches.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page