Gnome halloween costume - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-25-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know where I can find a gnome costume on the cheap for my 2 year old? Or perhaps have ideas on how to make it easily? I'm not crafty at all... I found one one on etsy that was adorable but can't swallow $50 right now.
#2 of 15 Old 09-25-2009, 08:52 PM

There are several issues of Living Crafts magazine that have patterns for gnome hats, including the current issue. I'd make a felt hat and vest--minimal sewing required there, and you could glue or sew a little felt toadstool on the front for decoration, put long shorts over a pair of wool longies, and have the child wear boots or leather shoes with wool socks (depending on the weather where you live, of course). If your child will tolerate it, you could draw on a beard with the Lyra face pencils or a grey eyeliner and make a walking stick out of a stick/small branch. Good luck! And post pics if you do it!
#3 of 15 Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 PM

#4 of 15 Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 PM

well - i have a temp job right now - remodeling a local wal-mart into a supercenter...

and well, there is a boy gnome and girl gnome costume... for about $15

ETA: here is a link to the Boy Gnome one - they dont show the girl one online - but its cuter then the boy one (and no beard - LOL)

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#5 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 AM

My boys are likely to be gnomes this year, too. I've knit them both hats already and may knit some beards, as well. If you're not so crafty, a felt hat should be fairly simple. I would get a large piece and roll it into a cone to fit your child's head. Trim the excess and then handsew it with some thread or embroidery floss up the back. For my boys, I'll probably get them some plain long sleeve shirts and pants to wear. They can be considered gnomes or brownies or sprites or whatever - open for interpretation.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#6 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM

my son was a gnome when he was two, it was a super easy costume and got lots and lots of compliments. i knit a red hat out of bulky yarn, just a standard hat pattern that i did slow decreases at the crown until there were only four stitches left. then i bought a sixe xsmall kids(l big on a 2-year-old) blue tshirt at the craft store, cut it down the front into a jacket/tunic, sewed up wide a brown felt belt with a "gold" felt buckle that fastened with velcro. he wore brown pants and blue galoshes and a lightly needle felted a beard out of roving with some elastic to go around under the hat, easy peasy! there are a lot of patterns for gnome hats online, both knit and sewn, so i'd take into account your climate and how cold it will be on halloween, and decide from there. good luck!

oh, remembered this from last years halloween issue, the materials aren't exactly "waldorfy" but the effect is great!

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and...&craftid=12050
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and...&craftid=12048
#7 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM

Apparently that one is a hot one this year! I saw a CUTE toddler gnome costume at Walmart yesterday.. it's on their website too. www.walmart.com
It's like 14-20 bucks I think!
#8 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM

#9 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
well - i have a temp job right now - remodeling a local wal-mart into a supercenter...

and well, there is a boy gnome and girl gnome costume... for about $15

ETA: here is a link to the Boy Gnome one - they dont show the girl one online - but its cuter then the boy one (and no beard - LOL)
OH!! ha ha.. Sorry guys.. didn't read this post!
#10 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I am going to head to walmart and see how the gnome costume looks in person but I think I might end up making one. I checked out the family fun site and it looks easy enough to make. I'll let you know how it comes along =)
#11 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Hi there,
I just made a gnome costume for my 2 year old. I got most of the stuff from Wal-Mart, funny enough, since you work there at the moment...

I picked up a pair of brown Garanimals leggings from the girls' dept and a long sleeved blue t-shirt (also Garanimals) from the boys' dept. They also have a nice green one that would work. I got him a pair of black rubber "chore boots" from the shoe dept there. I made a hat out of a 15x15 square of red felt from Joann's Fabric. I cut the felt into a cone shape and hot glued it into a cap. For a beard I used fake fur, cut it into a beard shape and fastened thin elastic on either side to hold it on his head. I haven't sorted out the belt yet but we may just do without. Very easy and very cheap--plus he can wear the clothes and boots long after Halloween is over.

Hope this helps,
Debra
#12 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 04:30 AM

I made one, it was really easy. I bought wool blend felt at Joann's in dark brown and cut out a vest and stitched it up with embroidery floss. I also added a pocket and some leaves, from other colors of wool felt. Then I sewed on the most earthy-looking buttons I could find to fasten in. I used rope as a belt (this was the only hard part, I didn't have a lot of success keeping it from unraveling. In retrospect a tightly finger-knit yarn chain would have worked better). Then Ds wore some boots he had, brown pants and a blue LS shirt underneath. I would suggest buying a beard at a costume shop, but I did make one. It didn't turn out fantastic. LOL. The hat was a little hard for me as I made a pointy 'dunce' style made stiff with some of that iron-on stuff from Joann's. If I had it to do over I would just make a floppier elf-style hat.

It was not too hard at all. I'm very into "assembling" costumes. LOL. I try to keep the sewing minimal.
#13 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 AM

I think it's hilarious how many of us have dressed our children like gnomes!

I knit a simple red hat for my ds, and he wore clothes we had around the house with his soft star shoes. He had a stick with a kerchief tied to it to carry over his shoulder, and he was good to go!

Have fun creating a costume for your little one!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#14 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 PM

I'm planning on my 19-month-old going as a gnome this year too. I think we'll forgo the beard as he'd just rip it off! Living Crafts magazine had a super easy gnome hat last year in their fall issue. Halloween is chilly around here, so anything that can be warm and covers the ears has great appeal.

A happy woman
#15 of 15 Old 10-02-2009, 08:48 AM

I found this adorable one on etsy: Gnome Beard and Hat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page