A simple bread recipe used in a Waldorf classroom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to know the bread recipe that would be typically used in a Waldorf classroom. Does anyone have it from a Waldorf school? I'm just really interested and would like to reduce the quantity and make it in my home with my two little girls.

Thank you!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#2 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 PM

a little off topic (but is still urks me )

i asked the p/c teacher for a millet muffin recipe and she told me it was secret and she only wanted the kids to eat those special muffins in class. i thought that was a little rediculous considering it was like a 4 weeks summer session, she is a kindy teacher, and dd was like 1 at the time, and we are going to homeschool (which she knew, i think).

anyhow, hope that others have had better luck getting recipes cause i'd also love to see some

::
#3 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM

Every school seems to have their own recipes..Have you all tried the Waldorf Snack Book at all? There are many bread recipes in there, plus lots of other foods for festivals, etc. You can order it through Rudolf Steiner College Bookstore or Bob and Nancy's bookshop.
We have made regular bread, irish soda bread, challah bread, muffins, rice pudding and many more things for our baking day...
YUM!

Warmly,
Carrie
#4 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 PM

The school where I taught published a cookbook of favorite recipes as a fundraiser- and the beloved kinderbread recipe was on the very first page.

It is the one we use in my family too- I add things like dried fruit and cinnamon and herbs. mmmm.

1 packet yeast
1 c warm water or milk
1 t. honey

6c flour- I use 4c bread flour, 2c whole wheat
1-2 t. salt
3c water
1/3c honey
1/3c oil or melted butter

proof the yeast in small amount of water and honey until it gets bubbly.

mix water salt honey and oil in another bowl. Add yeast mixture to liquids and allow child with wooden spoon to stir while you add flour one cup at a time until it is too hard to stir. get your hands messy by mixing/kneading the rest in by hand until the flour is smooth and easy to work. knead for awhile until the dough is smooth and 'shiny', put in clean bowl with a small amount of oil in it and cover with a damp towel. allow to rise double
punch down, make snakes, mountains, rocks, and loaves and allow to rise again.
350 oven for 40 min or so depending on the size of the loaves.

good luck. happy breading!

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#5 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 PM

I also really like the Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book
There are so many good recipes, and also useful ones for grain of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
i asked the p/c teacher for a millet muffin recipe and she told me it was secret and she only wanted the kids to eat those special muffins in class. i thought that was a little rediculous considering it was like a 4 weeks summer session, she is a kindy teacher, and dd was like 1 at the time, and we are going to homeschool (which she knew, i think).

anyhow, hope that others have had better luck getting recipes cause i'd also love to see some
That is pretty quirky. At our last parent eve. the K teacher brought out the box of rye pasta that she uses so everyone could find the exact kind for the children to have at home.
#6 of 23 Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
That is pretty quirky. At our last parent eve. the K teacher brought out the box of rye pasta that she uses so everyone could find the exact kind for the children to have at home.
yeah, in my experience most people feel like it is a complement when you ask for their recipe....so i thought it was odd she refused to share...and was rather rude about it. oh well.

i have the waldorf book of breads and all the recipes i've tried are good.

wrenmoon, thanks for the recipe...will have to give it a try soon

#7 of 23 Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenmoon View Post
The school where I taught published a cookbook of favorite recipes as a fundraiser- and the beloved kinderbread recipe was on the very first page.

It is the one we use in my family too- I add things like dried fruit and cinnamon and herbs. mmmm.

1 packet yeast
1 c warm water or milk
1 t. honey

1-2 t. salt
3c water
1/3c honey

mix water salt honey and oil in another bowl. Add yeast mixture to liquids and allow child with wooden spoon to stir while you add flour one cup at a time until it is too hard to stir. get your hands messy by mixing/kneading the rest in by hand until the flour is smooth and easy to work. knead for awhile until the dough is smooth and 'shiny', put in clean bowl with a small amount of oil in it and cover with a damp towel. allow to rise double

Thanks so much for this! Can't wait to try it. Can I use fast action yeast for this ( a 7 g packet?) or in my cupboard I have Allinsons Dried Active Yeast (it says it needs to be reactivated in water for traditional handbaking) ummmm, that one is in a pot so how much would I need? Sorry to be a pain! Thank you so much for your help!

#8 of 23 Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendingbirch View Post
Every school seems to have their own recipes..Have you all tried the Waldorf Snack Book at all? There are many bread recipes in there, plus lots of other foods for festivals, etc. You can order it through Rudolf Steiner College Bookstore or Bob and Nancy's bookshop.
We have made regular bread, irish soda bread, challah bread, muffins, rice pudding and many more things for our baking day...
YUM!
I was thinking about trying this book ...I am vegetarian, does it have any meat recipes in it?
I love your blog by the way!
xxx

#9 of 23 Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That would have totally annoyed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 of 23 Old 09-27-2009, 04:13 PM

We made millet rolls in our P&T class that are amazing with butter and honey. I'll find the recipe and post it.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#11 of 23 Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
We made millet rolls in our P&T class that are amazing with butter and honey. I'll find the recipe and post it.

#12 of 23 Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 PM

Here it is! The recipe says that it makes 30 or so rolls.

First, preheat the oven to 350. Then, soak 1C of millet in very hot water to cover. While it is soaking, mix the following:

1 1/2 t yeast
2 c lukewarm water
2 T honey
3 T ground flax seeds (I use Bob's Red Mill)
2 C flour (1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white mixture)

Mix and beat by hand about 100 times, let rest 10 minutes. Add the millet and 1t sea salt. Then add 2C of flour or so, enough to make a nice dough.

Knead (children love to help with this!), shape into rolls. You can let the rolls rise for a little while or pop them straight into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with butter and honey. So good!

Mmmm...typing this up makes me want to bake some right now!

#13 of 23 Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 PM

He
Quote:
re it is! The recipe says that it makes 30 or so rolls.

First, preheat the oven to 350. Then, soak 1C of millet in very hot water to cover. While it is soaking, mix the following:

1 1/2 t yeast
2 c lukewarm water
2 T honey
3 T ground flax seeds (I use Bob's Red Mill)
2 C flour (1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white mixture)

Mix and beat by hand about 100 times, let rest 10 minutes. Add the millet and 1t sea salt. Then add 2C of flour or so, enough to make a nice dough.

Knead (children love to help with this!), shape into rolls. You can let the rolls rise for a little while or pop them straight into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with butter and honey. So good!
do you drain the millet before you add it to the mixture? how much water should you soak it in?

this recipe looks great

#14 of 23 Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
Thanks so much for this! Can't wait to try it. Can I use fast action yeast for this ( a 7 g packet?) or in my cupboard I have Allinsons Dried Active Yeast (it says it needs to be reactivated in water for traditional handbaking) ummmm, that one is in a pot so how much would I need? Sorry to be a pain! Thank you so much for your help!

I believe you can either use the packet or the yeast in the jar. They are probably the same thing, just the packet is premeasured and the jar you have to measure out yourself. Just use the 1 1/2 teaspoons the recipe calls for and it should work out fine! I know that some of the measuring units are different in the UK. Any other UK mamas know about this?

Re the teacher who didn't want to share the recipe~ that's so strange and unlike the Waldorf school near us! They gave us all the recipes we used in our classes so the children (and their mamas and papas )could have those yummy, comforting snacks at home, too!

#15 of 23 Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
He

do you drain the millet before you add it to the mixture? how much water should you soak it in?

this recipe looks great
You don't have to drain the millet- I usually just work the soak water into the dough. I guess if you drain it, you won't have to add as much flour. I just boil water in the kettle and add it to cover the millet in my measuring cup.

Have fun baking! I like this recipe, because it is quick and the millet is nice and crunchy.

#16 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
You don't have to drain the millet-
thanks

#17 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 AM

Location: In the mountains, under the redbuds, smelling the roses.
mamaUK, I have the Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book. It doesn't have any meat-containing recipes in it.

om.gif

homeschooling mom to 2 pisces & 2 sag

homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 

#18 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
Sorry I didn't check this for so long! I use all kinds of yeast- fast acting is fine, I think about 2t- 1T per batch? I am at the point where I don't measure much so a shallow palm full is what I do.

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#19 of 23 Old 10-01-2009, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenmoon View Post

1 packet yeast
1 c warm water or milk
1 t. honey

1-2 t. salt
3c water
1/3c honey

Hello! I am half way through making the bread and I think I have messed it up In my defence, my LO was distracting me so maybe I didn't put enough cups of flour in....it was very wet and gloopy...should it have been pretty wet???? so I kind of added a bit more flour b/c it was so wet................then I tipped it out to try and knead it a bit and then seriously regretted that and then thought you didn't say to tip it out to knead it so maybe I should have kept it all in the bowl.............LOL so then I put it back in the bowl, kneaded it in there and now it is rising...........
So I have basically had a bit of disaster but I am still going to see if it rises and then hopefully make some bread from it!
So I am going to try this recipe again when my 18 month old is napping another day so I can get used to the recipe....
so a couple of questions:

-should the mixture be pretty gloopy and wet or quite dry?
-I am using american cup measures... is that right?
-should I leave it all in the bowl when I have finsihed stirring it and just knead it inside the bowl with my hands?

I am obviously completely rubbish at making bread.....................

Thank you for your help.......

#20 of 23 Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 AM

you poor thing, my first thought was maybe I wrote the wrong recipe down. I can't find my original book and was doing that from memory. Could be my fault. Blame me, I haven't slept through the night in four years.

Yes, American measuring
knead wherever is easiest for you, bowl or table with plenty of extra flour for your surface

Overall you can feel free to add more or less flour as you see fit, sometimes I have to use as much as 8 cups of flour a batch and the next time only six. I don't know why. Something in the stars on that day maybe. Here is how I do it.

I mix half the flour in the liquid and make a glorpy messy stew of it, then a cup at a time add the rest until it is too hard to stir and knead more in with hands in the bowl until it will hold its own, so to speak. If your fingers are still sticking, add more flour. The dough will really firm up enough to pour out and knead but you will have to keep putting flour on the surface for awhile. You will know it is time to stop kneading when the dough springs back when you poke it with a finger....then you know the gluten has really formed it's "nets" to trap the air when it the yeast starts to work and the your dough will have a nice rise.

A well kneaded dough has a soft and springy texture, almost shiny with bits of the wheat germ practically floating on the top surface. It takes me about 20 minutes to get there.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the poor directions before- ask more questions if you need to. The lucky thing is that children will usually any kind of bread if there is enough butter on it (read: buttered rocks).

#21 of 23 Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM

Hello!  I was excited to make this bread, but something must be missing from the recipe...  I ended up using over 10 cups of flour to get a consistency that I could actually knead!  If I use 6 cups the dough is of oatmeal consistency, - I couldn't possibly knead it.  I am waiting for it to double now and I pray it is going to work!  I felt like I kept adding flour over and over again... dusting the surface a million times for the dough to finally get to the point where it was no longer a big, messy, sticky glob!  Hmmm.. I wonder what I missed.  I am not a seasoned bread maker, so I may have screwed up somewhere too.  I did double and tripple checked my steps though.  Hopefully, the rolls will turn out fine in the end.  My toddler loved licking the dough off his fingers!  LOL!  twins.gif

#22 of 23 Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM

The liquid to flour ratio does seem a little off in that recipe.  Maybe a typo?  I love making bread with my little ones.  They get so into the kneading process, and I think it teaches character values too, like patients and delayed gratification.  This is my favorite bread recipe.  It evolved after much tinkering around with a basic sandwich bread recipe. It can also be made into rolls, or whatever shapes your kids make it into. 

In a large bowl, put:

4 tsp yeast
1/4 cup warm water

Let the yeast dissolve, then add
1 cup warm milk
1 cup warm water
2 Table spoons oil
2 Table spoons brown sugar
1 Table spoon salt
Stir in 2 cups white flour
Gradually stir in 2 1/2 - 3 cups whole wheat flour
Knead, adding more flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and elastic.
Coat dough with oil, and let rise, covered, until doubled or more in volume. Punch dough down and form into two ovals and place in two 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" bread pans. I baked mine in one big pan, but I took out quite a bit of dough for the kids. Let rise again for about an hour or more. Bake @ 350 for 40 minutes, or until loaves are brown and sound hollow when tapped. Enjoy!

My blog, where I write about homeschooling, crafting, and just about everything else: www.s-thefiveofus.blogspot.com  My Etsy shop, where I sell Waldorf inspired, natural toys: www.etsy.com/shop/SteppingStoneToys

#23 of 23 Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 AM

Well, the rolls turned out fantastic!!!  I am so pleased!  The only thing that seemed off in the recipe was the amount of flour.  My family loves the rolls and I ended up making so many that I had to freeze two bags of them!  They are very yummy indeed.  Butter makes them even tastier (surprise!)!  Thanks for the recipe and for all the tips from other moms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page