Mothering Forum banner

inner work - share what you are working on?

749 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  dharmama 
#1 ·
just curious how others go about this...

I consider my inner work to usually be something where I am reading and trying to put into practice something I'm reading about such as NVC... Thats an on going one for me haha I've read the book twice and should probably start it again ... I'm focusing on not making demands on others (dh mostly haha) and not using punishment when they dont meet my request...

A really big one for me is slowing down and being calmer, in my whole everything... How I walk, breath, talk etc. I am trying to speak more quietly, take breaths throughout the day cause I swear I forget to breath and my muscles are all tense..

I work on it, outside of trying to live and be these things all day, by taking some time in the morning and evening to think, read, and use imagery about a specific topic I'm working on. Try to find sayings, poems, quotes that relate also

What are other's working on? and how?

#3 ·
I have been working on slowing down and being calmer for years now. I am also working on being less judgemental of others and just being a kind person to all.
I do all of this through yoga, meditation, reading, and just by practice. The calmness really comes from slowing down my breathing and being present.
It is always a work in progress

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I have been working on slowing down and being calmer for years now. I am also working on being less judgemental of others and just being a kind person to all.
I do all of this through yoga, meditation, reading, and just by practice. The calmness really comes from slowing down my breathing and being present.
It is always a work in progress

I think those are really wonderful goals to work towards!

Thanks Yukookoo for this thread, it's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately and posted about recently.

I've really been trying to focus on observing and listening to my kids instead of jumping in at the first sign of an argument or struggle. My natural inclination is to try to make things better for them instead of letting them learn to make things right for themselves. I have to admit, for me it takes considerable inner strength to just sit and observe. For me it grows with every time they are able to resolve things or learn how to do things themselves.

When I'm constantly running around, being frantic, trying to juggle a lot of things, it makes it a lot harder. I like what mlh said about being present and having a calmness... that's part of the work I have to do too....

Would love to hear what others are working on as well...

#5 ·
This is a GREAT thread. I also do reading at night and at down times during the day--right now I am reading Kabat-Zinn's Wherever You Go, There You Are. Through it, I have focused also more on my breathing. My muscles too (even or mostly in my face) are tight so much; breathing helps me release the tension.

I have been trying to work on helping my kids resolve conflicts for themselves. I really like the idea of breathing into the situation, waiting for a few minutes before I respond. Thank you for that.

#6 ·
Great idea for a thread!

I am working on trying to be calmer, slowing down and being more patient. With three young children I find when the chaos reaches a fever pitch so do my emotions and I end up getting worked up much more than necessary. I also tend to shout (which is something that really bothers me). I have been working on this by reading books, running and meditating. I definitely feel better when I make time to exercise and do an early morning meditation.

#7 ·
I have been thinking of starting a thread for this very thing. I will be homeschooling Waldorf as there isn't a school close to us, but we have done Parent/Child classes when we lived in the city. Patience is my biggest dragon. I have been working on that. Also, finding joy in the day to day chores and just being home. I used to get so mad at housework and things like that. It also seems like I'm having to research so much because I'll be providing the education for my children at home. I have been getting bogged down in information. I'm reading Heaven on Earth right now and I love the book.

I also practice yoga (both Kundalini and Hatha styles) and meditation. I have seen wonderful improvements in myself since being diligent about practicing. I also make sure I have time for prayer and reading scripture. The latest Self-Improvement book I've read is The 8 Human Talents by Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa. That is a great book! Actually, it is the first self-improvement book I've ever read. I'm hoping to read more Steiner as I have only read one article actually written by him. Any recommendations?

#8 ·
I've been working on being mindful about food. I tend to overeat, even though we eat healthily, I eat too much. So I'm trying to channel that energy somewhere else----creativity!

I want to start waking at 6 am before everyone else to exercise.

#9 ·
I take time for yoga and meditation at night. It always helps me to journal as well, but that doesn't happen as often. I have recently started the practice of holding each of my daughters in my mind for a few minutes while I meditate. It helps me to clarify what is going well for them and what they might be needing more of. If I'm having a hard day or feeling anxious, I might also spend time meditating on what I'm grateful for or on what I did right that day.

#10 ·
what a great thread.

i'm always working on a bunch of things but right now in relation to my children and home life, i am working on being more clear with my intentions and desires and getting more grounded in the daily rhythms of life.

i feel like over the last five years i have struggled to find the balance. i knew i didn't want to be a totally authoritarian parent, but i feel like instead much of the time i end up being a doormat. so i'm working on gently and respectfully telling my children what i expect of them and what the consequences are when expectations are not met. my kids are responding SO well!! especially my 5.5 year old...it's like she's been pushing me all this time to give her more clear boundaries, and now that i have (with dh's support) she's just thriving.

i'm also working on getting more grounded and comfortable in the rhythm of everyday life. housework and cooking are really not my thing. (they used to be and i thought they really would be once i had kids...but now that i'm here...ummm...not-so-much.) i've neglected housework/cooking a lot in favor of writing and photography and other things that feed my soul, which has been really good for me. but now i'm noticing how much better our family does when *someone* is holding the energy of running the home. as soon as i can afford to hire someone wonderful to help me with housework and cooking, i will! but in the meantime, i'm trying to settle into the role a little more comfortably.

~erin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.