Getting Started: Basic Art Supplies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-26-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 2.5 and I want us to get acquainted to arts & crafts together. I am looking for a basic art supply set up. Besides playdoh and crayola, we have nothing!

Can we put our brains together to compile a list of some must haves, and nice to haves for use with toddlers & pre-schoolers?

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, so please chime in! I'd especially appreciate information on who has the best prices after shipping.

Must have
Block crayons (which is better lyra or stockmar?)
crayon rocks
Paint (no clue on this one, but would like to try some wet on wet, cakes too soon to introduce, tempura?)
Colored pencils (lyra ferby , picture shows ferby, but description says chubby so is there a difference?)
paper (i'm sure there's a thread if I search)

Nice to have
Lyra wax o glass window crayons
Fairy wool (need to figure out how to really use this, I have the book the art of feltmaking)
large wooden beads (maybe caseys or bayer wood a better route?)
Prang water color crayons (seems fun and probably not messy)

Posts that may be of help (I hope nobody minds me doing this, just think it's easier than having multiple windows open or bookmarking to read later. Maybe this will help other newbies too.)

parent/tot class crafts
watercolor vs tempura
new and overwelmed by arts & crafts

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#2 of 18 Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 PM

That looks like a fairly extensive list. My DS is only a little older than yours. I tend to use the crayon rocks more than he does, but we both like them. He's fine with fat crayolas. His favorite thing is wet on wet waterpainting. I started him with regular waterpainting, but I tried to go back to it after doing wet on wet and he didn't like it anymore. We are happy with strathmore paper from our local craft store for wet on wet. I'm sure there are better papers to buy, but this is working well and is affordable for us. We started with cheap rose art waterpaints, but I bought some stockmar to go in his stocking. I also bought some of the lyra glass crayons to go in his stocking and stick stockmar beeswax crayons, so our reviews on those will have to come next year.

I let him draw with watercolor pencils and go over it with a wet paintbrush, but he wasn't really into it.

I also bought the a book on window stars, but haven't yet gotten any kite paper to try it out. We are also going to try some wet felting soon and I'm sure he'll love that.

HTH

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#3 of 18 Old 11-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree that it's very extensive.

When my first was two, I planned for an arts/craft/handwork time each day. And then, in my mind, I created a "schedule"-- Mondays would be a seasonal craft, Tuesdays, modeling with beewax or dough, Wednesdays, painting, Thursdays, coloring, Friday, I would work on something in front of him, like a doll or an animal, and try to create opportunities for him to imitate. Each little session would last 10-20 minutes, and even though that was 10 years ago, we still follow that rhythm!

I think a lot of the stuff you have listed is great if you want to use it to make toys and crafts and decorations for your home, but if I was buying stuff for a toddler I would probably get
1. beeswax block crayons and maybe the crayon rocks because I think they look cool
2. Stokmar watercolors, a kindergarten paintbrush, good paper, a painting board, and maybe a paint tray. I got mine here and love it.
3. modeling beeswax
4. some nice felt, embroidery floss, a hoop, and a good thick beginner's needle (maybe even one of those big plastic ones) if he wanted to sew along

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 18 Old 11-27-2009, 12:53 PM

As an artist myself, it was really important to me to make sure that my kids were always surrounded by art. My ds was 1 when I introduced painting. We used tempera on canvases and different types of paper and cardboard. Watered down tempera is great, for us, as water color. it is such an inexpensive, versatile paint. and it washes out well, too. These days, we keep block crayons and oil pastels permanently out on his art table. he has markers that he's crazy about, and uses them on some days. we also color on our large glass door with them. sidewalk chalk rocks his world. glue is one of his favorite mediums, he loves watching it flow/ drip out. he likes gluing all kinds of things, especially salt and leaves. we keep a bunch of "recyclables" for art: cardboard, foil, containers...
he also loves prismacolor colored pencils, which i think are the prettiest.
nature art is big in our house, where we create with stuff we find out doors. he isn't into crafting as much as he digs just free flowing, non-orderly art. the process means more to him than what actually gets created.
#5 of 18 Old 11-27-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

I found swift river toys and they have individual crayons and modeling beeswax so maybe I'll just buy the primary colors for now. Prices are great too!

Tashakitte - What prismacolor pencils do you have? Michaels sells these and I have a few 40-50% coupons. I'm eyeing the watercolor pencils =)

annettemarie - I do want to create decorations, art work, and toys for our home. Would a flat rounded cutting board be an okay alternative to a painting board?

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#6 of 18 Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
annettemarie - I do want to create decorations, art work, and toys for our home. Would a flat rounded cutting board be an okay alternative to a painting board?
I'm not sure. It would need to be large enough that you could put the paper on and have a little bit of a margin, and it would need to not slip and slide around. I would worry with the wood that any paint slopped on it would soak in, and then the next time you went to paint, the wet paper would then pick up the color of the soaked in paint. Does that make sense? The board I have, you can wipe completely clean and it doesn't soak in the paint.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 18 Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 PM

Hey Whoami,

I forget the actual title of the Prismacolor pencils. They aren't the color sticks or the watercolor ones- which do look awesome by the way, I have not gotten around to them yet... As an art student, I have always used Prismacolor colored pencils, and love them. Ds was introduced to them by my set. The color is deep, and he appreciates the good quality. He likes the color sticks too, which are these rectangular "pencils" but are solid, and created from only the colored part of the pencil, like a hybrid of the pencil and a crayon. 40-50% is an awesome deal, considering that I find prismacolor products tend to run a bit pricey by my standards. another great place for art bargains: www.jerrysartarama.com has excellent regular prices for great quality products.
#8 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 AM

about the painting boards...
i have been researching them a bit today.
i notice many are coated with polyurithene or low-voc natural finish.
then i read about how some can be coated with beeswax.
i was even thinking about my bamboo cutting board and wondering if i could coat it with beeswax
Quote:
Would a flat rounded cutting board be an okay alternative to a painting board?
we were thinking the same thing
but i do have to agree with annette that it may be too small
i am trying to go the cheapest route to get everything i need for watercolor painting but i do want the high quality paper and paints as i know that is important. i already have some decent brushes but i am not sure if they are really the right size. i need to research that.
anyhow, i'd love to hear any ideas for painting boards that are unfinished wood...something i could coat with beeswax.
i am enjoying this thread

::
#9 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
about the painting boards...
i am trying to go the cheapest route to get everything i need for watercolor painting but i do want the high quality paper and paints as i know that is important. i already have some decent brushes but i am not sure if they are really the right size. i need to research that.
anyhow, i'd love to hear any ideas for painting boards that are unfinished wood...something i could coat with beeswax.
i am enjoying this thread
I agree! I was thinking of taking a trip to a thrift store and measuring boards that are around the same size as the medium paint boards (21" long, 15" wide). I've been reading that some people use the backside of wood puzzles, rubbermaid lids, cardboard etc. I understand the need for a painting board but if there's a way to cut down costs I'm all for it.

So far in the shopping basket are:3 stockmar crayons (primary colors)
3 stockmar modeling beeswax (primary colors)
1 lyra super ferby 4 color pencil

Still want paint, board, brushes, and paper...I prefer to buy these locally, but I can't buy stockmar locally so I'm in a pickle.

I know that Prang and Stockmar are non toxic. What about Winsor & Newman or Grumbacher? I read read that Grumbacher has lead , but couldn't find any other information. I'd like the least toxic stuff since we have lot's of unfinished wood that I'd like my son to be able to paint and play with as well.

Tashakittie - Thanks for sharing about the washable markers on windows. I tried it last night and that should work fine until we decide to get window crayons. As for colored pencils, I think I'll take a trip down to Michaels and take a look at the colored pencils. The crayon/pencil hybrid sounds fun!

#10 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
What about Winsor & Newman or Grumbacher
...yes, they will have lead and maybe cadmium,,,and other toxins. i would personally stick with the non-toxic paints.

i think i am going to get the stockmar since it seems to be the most popular in waldorf. i am getting the primary colors. i bet they will last a really long time since i think it is like 1 part paint to 10 parts water.

#11 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

After reading I feel I should note that I don't believe we will ever be "purists". Pure" or "Inspired" - I truely want to create an indeal starter art kit for my 2,5 year old son, based more on Waldorf beliefs. I'm still learning. If there's another forum I could be posting in please point me in the right direction....

So I checked out Michaels and I feel I am in so over my head. Honestly, I think it's me that wants everything. I am a quality vs. quantity person and I want us to learn to appreciate art and crafting together. I know that's above my 2.5 year olds capabilities right now, but if perhaps I can fall in love with art and crafting, he will do. I need to take things slow though or I won't stick with it. I think the first craft I'll attempt is making some rainbow gnomes.

Annettemarie, I feel you are posts were right on with what I am trying to achieve. So to just get started, I will take your advice. I want to keep costs under $50, although I will go up to $75 if necessary.

1. beeswax block crayons
2. crayon rocks
3. Painting Supplies: Stockmar watercolors, a kindergarten paintbrush, good paper (strathmore), a painting board, and paint tray.
4. modeling beeswax

Questions.
- How does Stone brand paint compare to Stockmar?
- Should I get just the primary colors to begin with?
- Any other art supplies I should add, besides the above. I want some pencils, but I'm not sure it's necessary for now?

#12 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM

I'm getting my crayon rocks here today-- 99 cent shipping!
http://lets-explore.net/category/Build/c27

ETA: They have Stockmar crayons as well!

#13 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet! I was going to buy these at Whole Foods but this is a was a better deal!

#14 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 09:39 PM

you can make a DIY paint board :0

plywood cut into a rectangle at your local hardwood store. you can even add in the angles with a small hand saw if you like the look of the ones sold online.

i finished mine with beeswax polish and some paint did get onto the board, it does not pose a problem with future wet-on-wet paintings.

i found beeswax to work well with older children (and mamas!).

in answer to your questions:
yes, id say primary colors are all you need

oh, id just add little baby food or canning jars for paint storage. so cute!
#15 of 18 Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I want some pencils, but I'm not sure it's necessary for now?
when i read your original post my thought was that your 2 year old would probalby be too young for the pencils. my dd is the same age and she would definitely get hurt with pencils

i bet that was one of the items you wanted...want to know how i knew that? because the pencils are what I have always wanted. maybe when dd is old enough i will be able to justify getting them.

so, when do waldorf school start using the pencils with kids?

#16 of 18 Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM

My toddler already uses pencils - they ae much easier for him to use than crayon blocks (we'll see how he does with the crayon rocks though). If you only had one thing for drawing I would recommend them.

OP, I don't know if you have already gotten things but here is our list. We are not purists but we are minimalists so I went for what I thought was simple but touched all the bases, so to speak.

Lyra Ferby short pencils

crayons (we have the blocks now but will be going with the rocks soon)

white construction paper (this is less expensive than drawing paper but still has a nice surface for the pencils and crayons)

liquid water color paint

paint brushes

watercolor paper (If you do wet on wet you really do need paper specifically intended for watercolors but the cheapest of that type seems to work just fine. I have some really nice ($$) stuff from when I took a class and I can't really tell it is so much better then the other stuff)Also I just have them paint on cookie sheets. I know, the metal is totally not natural but that's what we have and it works fine.

playdough (homemade, I went with this over beeswax because it is easier for
little hands and a lot less expensive)

embroidery hoops with muslin and yarn

scissors

glue

My dss also has some markers and nice paper for origami and kirigami - rice paper, kite paper - but they are tucked away for him, they aren't part of the regular rotation.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#17 of 18 Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

reducereuserecycle - You are so right is assuming I am the one that wants the pencils. Really, I want everything, he could probably care less. I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy with just some cars and sticks.

SageR - So far I have only bought the crayon rocks, so I appreciate you chiming in.

Paint supplies are causing me to drag my feet and complete an order. I'm still wondering if Stone brand from paper,scissors, stone is a good alternative to stockmar. Seems like it will be more pink unless I were to buy the colors red rose and vermillion to mix?

#18 of 18 Old 12-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page