Shining Star in PDX? (or other part-time Waldorf) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone going to Shining Star in Portland, OR? I am so finished with full-time school (dd is in 1st grade in Eugene), I am considering any other reasonable option. We all need a couple days of school, but five is not good for our family.
Is it mixed grades? How's the neighborhood/and playground (thinking about outdoor time...isn't MLK a big street?) How about diversity? EWS is pretty homogeneous, is Shining Star?

Any other part-time Waldorf schools out there??

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
#2 of 4 Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 PM

I thought they had to close down?
I fell madly in love with the Micha-el school in PDX. You might want to check them out. They are new but have amazing teachers and can be done on a budget. hth!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#3 of 4 Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would LOVE to find a part time Waldorf program for my girls (& later for Ds.) They're never attended any form of school but I do love our local Waldorf school. 5 full days is too much for us - but maybe twice a week, for 3 or 4 hours each day sounds about perfect. We're on the other side of the country though!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 4 Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 AM

Shining Star is still in operation. They had to fall back and re-group after an upheaval in Dec. 2008, but the new incarnation for grades seems to be going strong at their new location on NE Tillamook. The Tillamook classrooms are in the basement of a church on a quiet street in a pleasant neighborhood. When I visited this location last fall the playground was the enclosed church parking lot. Marsha Johnson, the director of Shining Star, said she was hoping to be able to find a neighbor that would let them use their backyard for a playground (They had this kind of set-up at their old site on Emerson and it worked well). I don't know if this has happened yet or not. The K and nursery classes are on NE Prescott. The Prescott neighborhood is marginal but the school, garden and grassy playground are a little oasis of peace. The grades program at Shining Star is multi-aged, 1st through 4th grade. Marsha is the main teacher. She is helped by many parent volunteers. I have friends who send their children there and love it. It is a friendly community of people, though not very diverse.

The Micha-el school was started by Valerie Miles, one of the teachers who left Shining Star during the upheaval of Dec. 08., along with her husband John, who runs our local Waldorf Teacher Training school, The Micha-el Institute. This school is in SE Portland, at our Lady of Sorrows Church (52nd and Woodstock), on a busy street in an OK neighborhood. In my opinion the Micha-el school has a better site, with large well lit classrooms and a nice playground just across a small street. It is a traditional, full time Waldorf school though, not a part-time program like Shining Star. For the short month we were there, there was little diversity amongst the student body or faculty, but it was still a nice community of friendly folks. Unfortunately, I have not kept in touch with anyone at that school, so I cannot tell you what it is like now.

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page