Doll houses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG, I feel like I need to lie down.

I was not expecting dd to be ready for a doll house until she turned three. She LOVES the doll house at church and played w/ one of the doll houses at the Waldorf school. She knows how to play w/ it for real. Her second birthday is coming up soon & I thought a doll house would be a nice gift since everyone asks what to buy & I can say different furniture or dolls.

Now is the time to show off, ladies! What doll house do you have & what do you like/not like about it? I am not going to get a $300 house, either. We just spent a crapload getting the Camden Rose kitchen and fridge for Christmas (asked everyone for money, NO, WE didn't buy it!!). DD has a small, but growing, collection of Ostheimers, but not the people b/c I don't really like them. I like that the Plan furniture is cheap & I can buy it locally, too, but I don't fancy their dolls or houses much. Yes, I know, I put WAY too much thought into this, lol! That is why I need another year!

I was v seriously thinking of buying this one since it is so marked down: http://www.quiethourstoys.com/produc...roducts_id=490 but I don't think it is open enough & dd likes stairs. Also, if anyone makes houses or has a fave etsy maker, lmk. It is v hard to search on etsy to find exactly what you are looking for, imo.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 PM

We made ours but if we had bought I would have gone with one from Willow Toys or Elves and Angels. I think Sarah's Dollhouse would be perfect for a two year old. I don't think stairs are super important. We don't have any, and though my boys really like the one in the library dollhouse they don't seem to miss it in theirs. I don't know about Etsy - I never know if what I want just isn't there or if I'm searhing the wrong way I've heard people finding stuff on Craigslist so maybe that's worth a look.

Those farm houses are really pretty but they look like they'd be hard to play with,especially for little ones. I would be jumping all over that sale for some Evi dolls though. At 40% off they are a steal. I thought they were overpriced until I saw one in real life and realized how much work and skill must go intothem!

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#3 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

*I* don't care about the stairs, dd likes them, lol! I agree, Sarah's doll house looks just about perfect for a young child, although I do wish it had an opening door on the solid side. Oh well! I had the Little People folding doll house when I was young. It had no stairs & was v simple. It was plenty until I got older & wanted a "real" doll house. Never did get one, but my mom won one last year at a festival, so that is waiting at her house until dd gets older. Has to stay at Grammy's, tho

I have seen the Evi dolls in person and do like them, but they are hard to stand up. The dolls I really want are some brand that I forgot to write the name down. The head, hands, & feet are wood, but the body is cotton & stuffed, but floppy. They had them in the one classroom at our Waldorf school & both dd and I LOVED them. I am going to call them at some point and ask if they would look at the brand name for me Yanno, I didnt even think of buying them on sale, I was focused on getting Ostheimers! I already spent about $50 on those, so I'm hesitant to spend another $50 on dolls. Esp since I already paid shipping once

At the end of this long ramble, thank you for the info. The price on that house is not bad at all. Was building your own house difficult? Dh and I have talked about it being a possibility to save money.

jumpers.gif

#4 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I made two dollhouses for my girls last Christmas. Pics are in my blog, but they're super easy if you have saw access.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 26 Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 AM

I had my heart set on the Kinderkram dollhouse for several years. At the last minute I changed and bought a Spiel and Holz dollhouse. I am SO glad I did!!

The first time I saw it I thought it looked so silly but my boys ADORE it. They play with it all the time. I think because they can get in there and really play - the house can be small or large. The play can, and usually does, carry over into the room around. It isn't confined to the 4 (or 3 rather) walls of a regular dollhouse. We just have some basic furniture. Usually the house is kind of one room but sometimes they section off different areas. We also have a Kinderkram barn but the boys always zoom straight for the house first. I think it is more comfortable for them to play with also - they don't have to get on their stomachs or bend down to peek inside.

We have the Evi dolls also and LOVE them. So much better in person.

Crap - I can't find a link anywhere. I'll try to find it but it is basically just 3 walls hooked together with hinges. There are windows on 2 walls and a door on the third wall. HTH!

Here is a link to a picture: http://http://www.seesawtoys.co.uk/p...ing_Doll_House

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#6 of 26 Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I wouldn't get too stressed about it. My daughter was the same way at that age. She always played with the dollhouse at school. Got one for Christmas this year; she's 4 now. At 3, we'd given her an inexpensive, wooden, fold up style (front of house with door and two sides with windows in each). I longed for some of the lovely ones that have been posted, but, didn't want to make that investment and have her not play with it. Plus, she was getting a wooden swing and wooden pram for her dolls. She almost never played with it. She rarely plays with the dollhouse she received for Christmas. At home, she mostly likes to draw and play with her kitchen and dolls.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#7 of 26 Old 02-12-2010, 03:08 PM

We have Seri's Dollhouse with Plan Toys furniture. I really love the dollhouse, easy for two kids to play with it. BUT. My daughter hauls all of her favorite furniture over to the play stand and plays house there! She even builds stairs with her blocks. Seriously, if I could do it over I would have skipped the kitchen and dollhouse and just bought a play stand because she does everything there! It becomes SO many things for her! Stove top, oven, everything... even with the kitchen right there in front of her. So, my vote is for a play stand if you have the room. Also, we have tried so many different people and they have all frustrated my daughter. A few weeks ago she received some of the little wooden people from the Plan City set... they stand and you can twist their waist to make them sit. Both kids (age 5 and 2) LOVE them. Anyway, have fun shopping!
#8 of 26 Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM

I don't know if you'd be happy with the one from Quiet Hour Toys. We have it, and it's more of a bedside doll house for show rather than one that a small person could play with easily. For one thing, it sits on a base, but isn't too stable, so when you go to play with it, it sort of falls apart. Also the doors are hinged on with strips of leather so they are hard open, and because of the design of the doors you can't really get your hand inside the doll house and once you do, your hand is trapped and you sort of pull the whole thing over.
Since your looking for something for a three year old, I'd pass on that one.
#9 of 26 Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniscus View Post
I had my heart set on the Kinderkram dollhouse for several years. At the last minute I changed and bought a Spiel and Holz dollhouse. I am SO glad I did!!

The first time I saw it I thought it looked so silly but my boys ADORE it. They play with it all the time. I think because they can get in there and really play - the house can be small or large. The play can, and usually does, carry over into the room around. It isn't confined to the 4 (or 3 rather) walls of a regular dollhouse. We just have some basic furniture. Usually the house is kind of one room but sometimes they section off different areas. We also have a Kinderkram barn but the boys always zoom straight for the house first. I think it is more comfortable for them to play with also - they don't have to get on their stomachs or bend down to peek inside.

Crap - I can't find a link anywhere. I'll try to find it but it is basically just 3 walls hooked together with hinges. There are windows on 2 walls and a door on the third wall. HTH!

Here is a link to a picture: http://http://www.seesawtoys.co.uk/p...ing_Doll_House
OMG, the link is broken and now I am desperate to see what it looks like and if it is similar to one I've had my eye on in the UK.................... could you try re-posting it?

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#10 of 26 Old 02-12-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

I am guessing she means this foldable house: http://www.foedoe-shop-ist-freu.de/p...d21f1d749e7ebc

We already have a playstand and the plain stacking houses, so using the stand as a house is def a possibility. I was thinking that even if dd got the Plan people for her house, it's not like she has to marry them We can always get something different later. I think we will go w/ the Sarah's house & ask for it from Grammy. I like that it is small enough to move around & plain enough that if dd wants it to be a barn or something else, it can be. I love love love Anna's house, but it is SO big & just too expensive right now. Maybe after we have a couple more kids

Thank you all so much for your input! It would be nice if you could reach into the computer actually try the different toys, wouldn't it?

jumpers.gif

#11 of 26 Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 PM

We have "two" which we created a community with [including our barn..] and by we, I mean mostly me but I have so much fun doing it. The first is just a simple Melissa and Doug wooden dollhouse that latches closed/opens and the second is a pink monstrosity [wooden, "green" and whatever but just so PINK] my husband got.

We "redecorate" though. Sewing little rugs, using craft paper for "wallpaper" and painting has been DDs [who's 2 1/2] fun mommy/me project.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#12 of 26 Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 AM

We got this one from Lakeshore Learning:

Play All Around Dollhouse

It is much more subdued in person than it looks in the picture and is solid wood except for the clear part of the roof. I should add that it is *very* well constructed. DH had to take it apart to get it home on the plane for Christmas and he kept marveling at how well it was constructed with the joints, etc.

We use it as a barn, firehouse, etc. and it works great when there are multiple kids visiting. I think its a nice compromise between the $300 dollhouses and the cheapo poorly constructed ones you usually find for under $100.
#13 of 26 Old 02-13-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
OMG, the link is broken and now I am desperate to see what it looks like and if it is similar to one I've had my eye on in the UK.................... could you try re-posting it?
Sorry about that - but yes, it is the same one posted in the post below yours.

I love the playstand idea - in fact, I wonder if that has a lot of the same elements as our house. It is just so open that it is easy to visualize and play in. There is more room to maneuver.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#14 of 26 Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM

Making a dollhouse can be really easy. Especially for that age. A simple wooden box (see yardsales, thriftstores) can be outfitted as a dollhouse quite easily. Also a wooden treehouse is easy to make as well. I made my son's with nothing but a handheld drill and a bow saw. A few little people and you are in business (or playtime ).

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#15 of 26 Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I used to work at a day care & Lakeshore does make really nice stuff. I showed dd the picture of that house & the first thing she did was said, "Steps" and pointed to the staircase. So, uh, yeah, I guess for her stairs really ARE important! I do wish that price tag included the furniture and people, too!

I know a few years ago Parents brand made a really nice looking wooden house, but it seems as though they don't make it anymore

jumpers.gif

#16 of 26 Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks so much for the recommendation, I have managed to find it in the UK for a really good price so I have ordered it for my girl for her fifth birthday in May, she will be so excited I think, it is to go with her dress-up Evi dolls and her Speil and Holz furniture which she already has....it so great for us that it folds, we can keep in in the living room and my LO's will be able to set it up when ever they want without it getting in the way and taking up a bunch of floor space!
Thanks for motivating me to get her birthday present all fixed up!

#17 of 26 Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 PM

This dollhouse is a great value

http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Design-b...d=UDSZWS49T9PU

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#18 of 26 Old 02-16-2010, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

This one is really cute, too! http://www.amazon.com/Educo-Welcome-...ef=pd_sbs_t_14 I'm not sure about the curved staircase, though. Good thing I still have 2 months to shop, lol!

jumpers.gif

#19 of 26 Old 02-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I made mine. Pics here. I'm not sure how much money it saved in the end, but I ended up with something I'm really proud of! And it took the bits I liked from several.

DS (3) doesn't care about the steps. If he does, it's very simple to make some. I saw a great idea on etsy and I'm scanning it quickly to show you! It would only take a short time and a couple of scraps of wood to make stairs you could just add on at any time. Shoot---can't find it. Basically, the person had a little floor piece and had cut out a simple staircase and attached them to the floor. Then when the child wanted to play with the stairs, they just put them against the open side of the house and dolls could just walk right up to the 2nd floor. It was really cute.

Ooh...while I was searching, I found this etsy shop. She's got some inexpensive, sturdy dollhouses...perfect for a toddler! Ooh...except it's sized for peg-people...so sort of small and commercial furniture wouldn't fit. OOOH! This is super sweet and comes with some furniture: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=38797274. There's not much on etsy right now. Must be the post-holiday collapse-from-exhaustion.

My little guy at 2 was more than happy to have a little bit of furniture to play with. The house wasn't necessary. So that's always an option too.
#20 of 26 Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post
I made mine. Pics here. I'm not sure how much money it saved in the end, but I ended up with something I'm really proud of! And it took the bits I liked from several.

DS (3) doesn't care about the steps. If he does, it's very simple to make some. I saw a great idea on etsy and I'm scanning it quickly to show you! It would only take a short time and a couple of scraps of wood to make stairs you could just add on at any time. Shoot---can't find it. Basically, the person had a little floor piece and had cut out a simple staircase and attached them to the floor. Then when the child wanted to play with the stairs, they just put them against the open side of the house and dolls could just walk right up to the 2nd floor. It was really cute.

Ooh...while I was searching, I found this etsy shop. She's got some inexpensive, sturdy dollhouses...perfect for a toddler! Ooh...except it's sized for peg-people...so sort of small and commercial furniture wouldn't fit. OOOH! This is super sweet and comes with some furniture: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=38797274. There's not much on etsy right now. Must be the post-holiday collapse-from-exhaustion.

My little guy at 2 was more than happy to have a little bit of furniture to play with. The house wasn't necessary. So that's always an option too.
Thanks for sharing that etsy link! MamaMadeThis has wonderful things!

#21 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

RCM, I know you made yours & I loved it from the moment I saw it! I did see both of those houses previously on etsy. I think the second one is ADORABLE, but it is much too small.

Honeybun, ita about mamamadethis & I'm ordering a set of the keys for the new baby

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Wonderworld-WW...4FABTQPYXYYB7G

and this one: http://www.amazon.com/Voila-Wooden-L...4FABTQPYXYYB7G

are so ding-dong cute! I showed the Educo one to dh and he really liked it, too. It's on sale now for $100 & it comes w/ furniture & people. We would have to get the baby nursery set, too, b/c we're having a baby, but that is no big deal. This is what I think I'm asking from Grammy for dd's b-day, esp w/ the sale.

jumpers.gif

#22 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 04:54 AM

Dd doesn't have a big one as we really don't have room. There's a local person who makes them that I drool over every year, but they are somewhat like this one, and I just live them:
http://www.novanatural.com/toys/seris-dollhouse-set
#23 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
That Seri's one is really nice but it's SOOOOO big! I started looking at the measurements and it is just massive. I went a little smaller after watching how DS plays and how other kids his age play. That being said...when I was a kid -- probably through nine or ten years old I would have loved a dollhouse that big!!! I had one that I built with my mom when I was little (while she worked on her fancy one) and I really loved it!
#24 of 26 Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
RCM, I know you made yours & I loved it from the moment I saw it! I did see both of those houses previously on etsy. I think the second one is ADORABLE, but it is much too small.

Honeybun, ita about mamamadethis & I'm ordering a set of the keys for the new baby

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Wonderworld-WW...4FABTQPYXYYB7G

and this one: http://www.amazon.com/Voila-Wooden-L...4FABTQPYXYYB7G

are so ding-dong cute! I showed the Educo one to dh and he really liked it, too. It's on sale now for $100 & it comes w/ furniture & people. We would have to get the baby nursery set, too, b/c we're having a baby, but that is no big deal. This is what I think I'm asking from Grammy for dd's b-day, esp w/ the sale.
LOL! I ordered the keys yesterday, too! My soon-to-be one year old still only has 4 teeth (unlike his sister who had 3 molars cutting the night before her first birthday), so, I'm hoping the bumps on those keys will be soothing to him as the rest of his teeth come in.

ETA: Those houses are adorable!

#25 of 26 Old 02-19-2010, 02:18 PM

My DD has this dollhouse from Hearthsong and she loves it.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#26 of 26 Old 02-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Arggghhhh i bought this from seesaw toys over a week ago and i just phoned them up because it hadn't arrived and they said even though i had an e.mail through saying order succesfull they didn't stock it anymore.... i thought the price was too good to be true! this one from http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/produc...0House%20Frame is much more expensive, i just wanted to check with you if this is the right one? i'm pretty sure it is the spiel and holz one..............also have the windows got plastic in them to make them look glazed or are they just holes cut through to make the windows?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page