First Grade waldorf and Reading - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-26-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there
I have a few children that have attended a waldorf school prior to a move that now makes that impossible. we are using a waldorf curriculum that we really like.
My question is, I will have a first grader next year but she is reading pretty well. I'm wondering how schools handle this?
Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#2 of 7 Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Sorry, I am just a bit confused by the question. Are you asking how a Waldorf school would feel/deal with a child entering first grade there who has reading skills?
#3 of 7 Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. Sorry, I was in a hurry and should have made myself more clear.
my now second grader wasn't reading fluently in First grade so it wasn't an issue. My now Kindergartener is working at a first grade level and is now reading (self taught) My concern is that the first grade curriculum will be boring too her because the emphasis is on capital letters and writing both she is doing quite well.
I am hesistant to move her too 2nd grade though. SHe is rather small for her age and very socially sensitive.

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#4 of 7 Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Am I reading correctly that you are now homeschooling? One major benefit I see of homeschooling is that one can tailor the curriculum to fit an individual child. How exactly you would keep the social/emotional feel of first grade and incorporate more advanced academics I am not sure. But certainly it can be done.
#5 of 7 Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

it really depends upon the teacher and school too. at one school, a precocious kid was really disrupting class with his reading (kind of showing off) and had other behavioral issues (related to his diagnosed disorder), and his parents were really "taken to task" about it. i can't relay all of the facts because i wasn't there, but ultimately they sent him to a different school that met his special needs where waldorf couldn't.

but otherwise, kids who teach themselves--at least at the schools here and there where i was--tend not to worry if it is early, so long as the kids go along with the program as it is. it may be ok for her, it may not be. it really depends upon the kid and the teacher, you know?

anyway, think about it, see what works.
#6 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Like zoebird says, I think it's really dependent on not only the school but even the individual teacher and the class itself.

My daughter is in class one and has been self taught at reading for a couple of years now. She has also known the letters and sounds and writing since she was about 2.5. However, she hasn't been bored at school as there is a depth to officially learning these things that she appreciates and she enjoys the practice.
Saying that our class one class is doing reading and writing sentences already. Our amazing teacher who is very Steiner/Waldorf and very experienced also happens to be very sensitive to the needs of her class and has flexed to what the kids demand to learn. Not by them saying mind you but by what she has observed. It is a very mature class one and she has altered the curriculum to suit that. They are all very much enjoying what they do and it's right for them.

In our years at a Steiner school I have never encountered any outright disapproval or discouraging of a child reading or writing at all. It was never emphasized or encouraged either before class one but again was not looked upon negatively. We also tend to get a lot of kids who come to our school after they give mainstream a try and realize it's not a good fit so many children have already been taught before, especially kids here can start school as early as age 4 in mainstream.
#7 of 7 Old 03-06-2010, 06:32 PM

My oldest daughter was an early self-taught reader, and was reading a lot by the time we did grade one Waldorf homeschooling. She enjoyed the letter stories as much as a child who was not reading, because those stories speak on such a soul level. She was very busy with form drawing, painting, flute, knitting, cooking, gardening, memorization of poems, helping her little sister, and math. She actually didn't love to write, even though she liked to read, so drawing the letters in picture form and modeling them in beeswax and etc. was fun for her ...and when we did go to writing a summary of our tales in the second half of first grade, we just made the sentence summaries a bit more complex.
So, i guess what I am trying to say is that the Waldorf curriculum is first and foremost about the holistic development of the child; that children who are reading should still be placed in with the grade one stories if they are six and a half or seven but you can adjust the academic pieces up as needed; and that there is more to first grade Waldorf than just the reading part.
Hope that helps!

Warmly,
Carrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page