What do you do when they're in bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so after spending a meaningful day full of ritual and song with the children, what then? Specifically, please share activities that you and your partner engage in rather than watching television. Do you play games, if so which ones? We have found that this winter we have often chosen to watch movies (we don't have tv) on the laptop, and are looking for fresh ideas to get out of this rut and to have more meaningful and creative connections with each other. My partner has been wanting to learn to play the guitar and I love to read, so we are planning on intertwining the two, he can play the guitar and I can read out loud. My partner also is very artistic, and I'm always learning how to do new things, and will hopefully find time to learn to sew and knit this summer. I am curious to see what other Waldorf families do when their little ones drift off....
#2 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 AM

i don't have much to add. i tend to fall asleep with my little ones (far more often then i'd like to).

on the nights when my dh puts them to bed, i usually use the time to catch up on work, clean the house etc.

not very exciting.

but...i wanted to comment because this is just so beautiful!!!!

"My partner has been wanting to learn to play the guitar and I love to read, so we are planning on intertwining the two, he can play the guitar and I can read out loud."
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM

We used to not watch any tv or videos, so I've got a lot of experience there! We do watch a little tv & videos together now. Since it is not every day & not for hours at a time, it is a nice time of togetherness for us, not just zoning out. We often end up talking about the show or quoting it to each other and cracking up.

Otherwise, we both like to play board games, so we have several of those. A few that we really enjoy are Man Bites Dog, Dicecapades (better w/ more than 2, tho), In a Pickle, Stratego, Othello, and VisualEyes. We also like this epic board game called HeroScape. We used to play it a lot more often, but b/c you have to assemble the board every time (or leave it up), we barely ever play it anymore Sad, too, b/c once we get into it, we could play it for hours and hours. We also v often do our separate hobbies, but usually in the same room. Dh plays a miniature war game called WarHammer & it involves miniature figures that you have to assemble and paint to play w/ them. His painting table is in the computer room. The room is big, we have the comp & a couch, too. I can either play online or sit on the couch or birthing ball & do some knitting or reading to myself. Dh usually listens to a book on tape while painting. I have ZERO interest in reading his books out loud, they are not interesting to me AT ALL. His alone time is really at a premium, so I try and make sure that he has this time to pursue his own interests. Since we are in the same room, it is v easy for us to talk to each other even though we are engaged in different activities. Together but separate, kwim? Dinner time is our big family together time, so after that we do not usually have a problem separating. Sometimes dh does karate practice in the basement & I work in my sewing room.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM

knit! I always knit. And i veg out on the computer. Sometimes I think about cleaning the house. Actually, I am better about it now.

But seriously, lately its been a lot of vegging out. I am recovering from a winter of being sick. so I just watch online episodes of the daily show and another show i am to embarassed to admit my husband and I watch.

I am trying to go to bed earlier. But it's not working. I stay up way to late.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#5 of 9 Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't really do anything with DH unless he's willing to watch a movie with me, he plays video games every night.

But I use that time to get out of the house sometimes (like go to a bookstore or get myself some dinner from somewhere DH doesn't enjoy, or buy myself clothes if ever).

Or I take baths and read. Or sit in front of the fire. Or work on my online store. Or knit. Or play on the computer. Or work on a novel (for my amusement only, not for publishing). Or catch up with old friends via phone or letter writing. Or I de-clutter something. Or research new things to try out in the kitchen.

TV doesn't enter into the equation, but the computer does 9 times out of 10. But often it's in the form of writing on it.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#6 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 PM

DH and I play games several nights a week. Usually things like Carcassone and Ticket to Ride. It's a good way to unwind. We are also both compulsive readers so we might have some tea or wine and read side by side. DH also likes to work on his bicycles - he commutes by bike so there's always something he needs to tweak on it. TV and movies happen once a week or so - we have Netflix, but have bumped ourselves down to the one movie plan since we rarely use it.
#7 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned

it varies for us.

i should say that sex is probably most common. we also just spend time talking to each other about 'stuff.' and then it's reading or hobbies. and then watching movies on our computer (maybe 1-2 per week unless we are really stressed and just want to relax).
#8 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i should say that sex is probably most common.
Sounds like a plan to me!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#9 of 9 Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM

My dh works second shift so during his work week it's usually just me and the baby after the other two have gone to sleep. tbh, after I make it through the day and get everyone into bed (successfully) I don't have much oomph left for other things. I typically try to fit my screen time (computer or TV) in while the kids are asleep (nap or bedtime). It works best when I get it in at night, but that doesn't always happen (as you can see).

When my husband is home we typically will watch the few shows we taped on the DVR. I've tried to get my dh interested in playing games together or something, but it's been met with a less than enthusiastic response.

At this time in life (end of winter, a 3mo old, 2 yo, and 5yo) I'm finding some sort of opportunity to veg out and go to bed early usually fits the bill.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page