maintaining rhythm while on vacation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're getting ready to head out for a two week family vacation.

as i'm packing clothes i'm thinking a bit about how our days will flow.

wondering if anyone has any thoughts about maintaining some semblance of a gentle rhythm while on the road (and in the air) and living in a totally different environment.

is it reasonable to try to keep some of our home rhythms going or are vacations about going with the flow, being spontaneous and just relaxing into whatever presents itself????

love to hear your thoughts.

~erin
#2 of 5 Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 PM

I found that when we took long trips by car (we didn't fly much, but I assume that this would work for plane rides as well) we did meal time in the car, since eating was a distraction that lasted for many miles. We did lots of snacks packed ahead of time, and scouted out grocery stores en route. Cubes of fruit and cheese and strips of nori and jerky could be doled out over an hour or so, to maintain some semblance of mealtime rhythm. Then when we stopped for gas or to use the rest areas, our DC could use that time to run, play chase, or just get the wiggles out. If DH and I ate fast food, we flexed the times of our own meals so that those breaks happened not at naptime and not really at the DC's mealtime either.

The other rhythm that we kept from hometime was bedtime. We could flex about an hour on that, but past that, we all suffered so much that it wasn't really worth it.
#3 of 5 Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM

I just blogged about this... in short we failed miserably at rhythm. Which was ok. But we were gone for 6 weeks and we started to feel it in a bad way after a while. And we're not even THAT good about rhythm compared most true blue Waldorf families.
For us, being spontaneous is good, but keeping some basics like nutrition and bed time routines in place was dearly needed.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#4 of 5 Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM

We have always stuck to the same times (give or take a little) for waking and bedtime, meals and snacks and rest. That helps ALOT!

One thing to ponder is how you can alternate out-breath activities with in-breath activities to minimize meltdowns on everyone's part

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#5 of 5 Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
I just blogged about this... in short we failed miserably at rhythm. Which was ok. But we were gone for 6 weeks and we started to feel it in a bad way after a while. And we're not even THAT good about rhythm compared most true blue Waldorf families.
For us, being spontaneous is good, but keeping some basics like nutrition and bed time routines in place was dearly needed.
i think this is going to be key for us too! our kids are in a waldor-inspired nursery school 3 days a week and i even notice a difference on our home days and weekends if i lose track of...rest times, healthy snacks, and bathroom reminders (for my younger).

i loved following along on your recent trip, btw! i learned so much too!!!

Quote:
We have always stuck to the same times (give or take a little) for waking and bedtime, meals and snacks and rest. That helps ALOT!

One thing to ponder is how you can alternate out-breath activities with in-breath activities to minimize meltdowns on everyone's part
thank you. this is a great reminder!!!

Quote:
The other rhythm that we kept from hometime was bedtime. We could flex about an hour on that, but past that, we all suffered so much that it wasn't really worth it.
we find this at home so it's a good reminder while on the go.

thanks everyone!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page