Is there a modern version of "Wash on Monday..." - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm trying to work on our rhythms. We don't only wash on Monday because we do laundry every day. We don't iron at all. We paint on Wednesday. We go to co-op and run errands on Fridays. We do the marketing on Saturday. We rest and go to church on Sunday. We bake throughout the week, but I'd like to have a baking day.

"Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday."

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmmm... First - what did "churn" mean?

Do have any desire to add elements of each of these words into your current routine or are you looking to create a new poem specifically for your our rhythms?

I was thinking that for wash day, you could decide that is the day you choose to wash those special items like curtains, blankets, rugs.

Iron day could be "Fluff" Day. What corner of the house needs prettied up?

Did "churn" mean when they would make their butter? Maybe this could be your soak day - where you soak, cook and bulk freeze your beans, cut up veggies for the the fridge...

Your inspiring me to once again look at our routines. We (I) have been so lax lately.
#3 of 20 Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Churn butter, yes.

I'm not sure what I am looking for. I saw in a very old Froebel kindergarten the idea of making a calendar, but instead of the days of the week written in, they drew pictures of the day's work. (Side Note: I am constantly amazed at how much Froebel's idea of what kindergarten should be looks like a Steiner/Waldorf kindy. Back in the day, the two weren't so far apart.)

I guess I'm also curious if there's deeper meaning as to why each day had that particular job assigned to it. I understand that washing was done on Monday after the weekend, but I wonder about others.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 20 Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'm trying to work on our rhythms. We don't only wash on Monday because we do laundry every day. We don't iron at all. We paint on Wednesday. We go to co-op and run errands on Fridays. We do the marketing on Saturday. We rest and go to church on Sunday. We bake throughout the week, but I'd like to have a baking day.

"Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday."

My daughter and I are reading the Little House on the Prairie books and we just read this the other day!

We are trying to implement something like this in our house to.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#5 of 20 Old 03-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
(Side Note: I am constantly amazed at how much Froebel's idea of what kindergarten should be looks like a Steiner/Waldorf kindy. Back in the day, the two weren't so far apart.)
There was JUST a reader's letter in Natural Life Magazine that went into detail about Froebel & kindergarten! I guess they did an article about him & it and there were some errors, so the letter-writer was pointing them out. SO MUCH DIFFERENT than modern kindy, it's unbelievable!

Aight, side note over

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#6 of 20 Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:

"Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday."
Do you do laundry on Sunday? If not, you could substitute your own schedule:

Start wash on Monday,
____ on Tuesday,
Paint on Wednesday,
____ on Thursday,
Errands on Friday,
To market on Saturday,
Worship on Sunday.

I chose "worship" b/c both church and rest together are worship. I realize we actually worship every day, but ykwim. That leaves you w/ only two days to fill in & you said you wanted a baking day, so you could pick one of those.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#7 of 20 Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM

subbing because i am trying to work on our weekly chores right now too@
thanks,
#8 of 20 Old 03-13-2010, 01:47 PM

We do.... for what it's worth...

Market on Monday (Grocery shopping, 2 stores)
Wash on Tuesday (Major laundry day)
Paint on Wednesday ( )
Bake on Thursday (We go to playgroup on Thursday, so this is sometimes done there)
Clean on Friday (house cleaning, more laundry, and a quick trip to the local grocer if need be)
Errands on Saturday
Rest on Sunday

It's not set in stone...sometimes errands on Friday if the house is clean, to give more family time on the weekend.

My grandmother did a similar routine, although I'd have to ask my mother exactly what it was. I know they always cleaned Saturday morning, and so did my mom.

I absolutely love knowing that we start each week with fresh groceries and a good attitude. Also, my daughter kind of dislikes Mondays (misses Daddy), so this is a nice, get out of the house activity for us.

Hope you can find your own groove!

Erin
#9 of 20 Old 03-14-2010, 01:13 PM

I'm subbing to this.. we've been working on what we do each day and are now trying to get our weekly routine down.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#10 of 20 Old 03-14-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Still thinking on this... hope to be back later today with something constructive to add, LOL!

#11 of 20 Old 03-20-2010, 11:44 PM

It is just me and my 13 month old daughter home alone most days. Daily we mostly wake, dress & have breakfast, I tell her a story while we look at our nature table. Then she plays while I do a bookkeeping task, which is what I call bill paying, filing, etc. Usually she is ready for her AM nap soon and needs me to be with her so I usually lay down with her and read my twitter stream, blogs, or a book on my iPod touch while she gets about 45 minutes of rest in. Then, I usually put a load of her cloth diapers in the wash and we go to play outside or just to walk. Then lunch and I put her down for her afternoon nap. I like to start my housework chores during her afternoon naps. Then when she wakes up, she likes to be carried in the ergo and go around with me while I finish. Then I start dinner while she plays and then we eat when Daddy gets home, about 5:30. Afterwards, I clean up and do evening tasks while they go play. My husband starts the bedtime routine with her bath, gives her the nighttime snack and does the pjs, song, story thing. I come in at 6:30 and lay down with her for her to fall asleep. When she does we have our evenings free.

Here are our weekly rhythms:

Mondays are errand day - In the mornings we have a standing doctor appointment so I also run any errands then. I'm usually too pooped to do other stuff because she hates the car. I usually knit in the afternoon while she rests.
Tuesdays are wash day - Mornings we go to library story time instead of our outside play time and I balance the checkbook. In the afternoons I do all the wash (except cloth diapers which I do every other morning).
Wednesdays we go to visit Abuelita (her grandmother) and our routine stays normal except we do everything in Spanish. In the morning I make necessary phone calls and answer home related emails because I can do this at her house.
Thursdays are baking day - Mornings I pay bills and file receipts. Afternoons I bake bread and usually cookies too.
Fridays are cleaning day - Mornings I do our filing and afternoons I do the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. The rest of the house (generally just some vaccuming, dusting, trash take out) is done by Nelson during the baby's Saturday afternoon naps.

Saturdays are food day - Mornings we walk to the farmer's market. I do weekly food tasks during her afternoon naps because my husband can play with her while I finish (like menu plan, bulk cooking, veg prep, etc.)

Sundays are spirit day - Mornings we take a nature walk (I like the outdoor nature challenges). Afternoons we rest, read together, listen to music, etc. All with Daddy. Sunday evenings my husband and I sit down and plan the week ahead. I usually also plan any Waldorf related stuff (look up a verse, ideas for nature table, consult books for ideas, etc.) during this time as well.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien
#12 of 20 Old 03-21-2010, 10:21 PM

I like this thread. Monday is wash day for us, and we have to go to a laundry mat, so it's kind of an outing at the same time. My son always finds kids to play with, I bring a book. The rest of the week is kind of up in the air though. I would like to find a better rhythm to our days and week.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#13 of 20 Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm also curious if there's deeper meaning as to why each day had that particular job assigned to it.
This is what my grandmother told me:

Wash on Monday was because it was the most labor-intensive of the jobs. Being rested up from Sunday would help you have the energy for such a big chore.

Iron on Tuesday just made sense, being right after wash day. Ironing was really important to kill bugs' eggs and other things we don't really have to worry about these days.

Mending made sense on Wednesday because you've already looked over the clothing during washing and ironing, so you can take note of what needs mending and do it while everything is out and ready.

Churn on Thursday-- not sure!

Clean on Friday to get ready for the Sabbath. (possibly to get ready for baking day

Bake on Saturday so you could have fresh rolls, etc, for the Sabbath day.

I would be interested to know how accurate these reasons are. Its what my grandmother believed to be the reason behind the chore days, and it makes sense to me.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#14 of 20 Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 AM

We found some cool vintage embroidered flour sack "days of the week" kitchen towels that have revolutionized our rhythm. All I have to remember to do is switch the towels at the end of the day, and I have a cute little reminder there to keep me on track through the next day! We opted for some very generic-looking towels because we don't want to promote the idea that housework is a "womanly" activity, so we have to be a little creative in how we interpret our towels (ie, a chicken has feathers, like a feather duster, so we'll dust and vacuum on Thursdays!), but I find that having to think about it for a second makes it a little easier to stay on task. It's a lot more fun this way, anyway!
#15 of 20 Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 PM

Here's my version of the "schedule"

Monday- Do laundry
Tuesday- Put laundry away
Wednesday- Vacuum
Thursday- Sweep or mop
Friday- Nothing (or whatever else needs done)
Saturday- Clean bathrooms
Sunday- Dust

Dishes are an everyday thing.

If it doesn't need done, I skip it. For example, sometimes I let dusting go more than a week.

I have every day set on my Google Calendar which sends me email and text reminders.

HTH!

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#16 of 20 Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

here is what i do:

dishes, laundry and tidying are part of daily rhythms.

Wash the bathroom on Monday
Garden on Tuesday (garden work)
Dust/Sweep inside and out on Wednesday
Playgroup on Thursday
Scrub Kitchen on Friday
Rest on Saturday
Rest on Sunday

two days of rest for us.
#17 of 20 Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Banned

oh, and for fun, i looked up the amish days of the week, but the closest i could find was about their weddings: http://www.800padutch.com/amishweddings.shtml

they can only wed in late Nov/Dec when the harvest is in but before hard winter sets in. they wed only on tuesdays and thursdays, as these are the least busy days on a farm, and it allows a day for preparations and a day for clean up without affecting the sabbath day.

winter weekends following the wedding are spent visiting those family and friends who attended the wedding, visiting at least 4 families per weekend (friday night visit, spending the night to have breakfast there; saturday lunch; saturday dinner and spending the night there, breakfast and church; sunday lunch/dinner with another family, and then home sunday night to work the farm monday morning). this is when the couple gets their gifts which are always useful objects.

the couple lives with the bride's parents until spring, when a house can be erected.

anyway, i'm still looking up how they see their days of the week. i'm not finding anything more specific than this yet. but it may have a reasoning for churning on thursday.

it may be that the cream has risen and is ready, and/or that the butter will be ready for use over the weekend if churned on thursday. still checking it out though.
#18 of 20 Old 05-14-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
This is what my grandmother told me:

Wash on Monday was because it was the most labor-intensive of the jobs. Being rested up from Sunday would help you have the energy for such a big chore.

Iron on Tuesday just made sense, being right after wash day. Ironing was really important to kill bugs' eggs and other things we don't really have to worry about these days.

Mending made sense on Wednesday because you've already looked over the clothing during washing and ironing, so you can take note of what needs mending and do it while everything is out and ready.

Churn on Thursday-- not sure!

Clean on Friday to get ready for the Sabbath. (possibly to get ready for baking day

Bake on Saturday so you could have fresh rolls, etc, for the Sabbath day.

I would be interested to know how accurate these reasons are. Its what my grandmother believed to be the reason behind the chore days, and it makes sense to me.
I've thought about this a lot over the past years when I've tried to implement weekly schedules and have failed with many of them. The reason for the traditional weekly rhythm was actually very pragmatic, like your grandmother states. My theory is that is all revolved around Sunday being a day of rest. Most important of all, you had to be clean and fed on the sabbath, this meant Saturday was a very busy day with cooking and baking, and your once-a-week saturday bath. Working backwards from there, you could see how you would want to do your churning on a different day, but just before baking day and sunday. I've never churned, but I'm guessing it was a labor intensive chore. I came up with the same sequence of events and reasons as this post for the clothing ironing and mending. These chores are very time consuming. The reason a similar schedule doesn't really work for us now is that such a schedule is artificial. Now we can do laundry every day of the week. Clothing is so easily available, we don't really need to mend them, we just get new ones. One way to create a rhythm that makes sense in our culture is to base it around food. Despite our busy lives, we still need to eat. At our house we have soup day, baked potato day, pizza day, bean and rice day, etc...

Recently I attended my grandmother's funeral and met two of her surviving siblings. They took me out to the old homestead where my great-grandmother raised her 11 children. My grandma's sister remembered how it was her job every morning to wash the diapers, while it was my grandma's job to "set up" the bread and her brother's job was to fetch water from the well using his yoke carried buckets. She remembered how she was jealous that she couldn't set up bread until my grandmother left the house and that job was reassigned. This brings me to daily chores. I also struggle with enlisting my children's help with chores. After thinking about this, I realized that some of the "meaning" and "natural consequences" have dissapeared from our modern lifestyle...or are pretty weak. Taking out the compost just doesn't have that immediate life-and-death survival element compared to let's say, chopping the day's firewood.

I guess I just want to stress the very pragmatic reasons our forebearers had for their tightly regulated lives.
#19 of 20 Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Also, laundry was on Monday so you could wash your Sunday Best before the stains set.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#20 of 20 Old 06-08-2014, 06:08 AM

"Here we go 'round the mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush, the mulberry bush.
Here we go 'round the mulberry bush,
So early in the morning.
This is the way we wash our clothes,
We wash our clothes, we wash our clothes.
This is the way we wash our clothes,
So early Monday morning.
This is the way we iron our clothes,
We iron our clothes, we iron our clothes.
This is the way we iron our clothes,
So early Tuesday morning.
This is the way we scrub the floor,
We scrub the floor, we scrub the floor.
This is the way we scrub the floor,
So early Wednesday morning.
This is the way we mend our clothes,
We mend our clothes, we mend our clothes.
This is the way we mend our clothes,
So early Thursday morning.
This is the way we sweep the house,
We sweep the house, we sweep the house.
This is the way we sweep the house,
So early Friday morning.
This is the way we bake our bread,
We bake our bread, we bake our bread.
This is the way we bake our bread,
So early Saturday morning.
This is the way we go to church,
We go to church, we go to church.