Conflict Resolution at Waldorf Schools - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-17-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be visiting the 3 Waldorf schools of the Minnesota Twin Cities in early April. I will be deciding whether one of them will fit our family, and compare them to Friends School of Minnesota, one charter Montessori and the Cannon River STEM school.

My question pertaining to Waldorf (many), first of all, is: What are the commonalities and differences between various Waldorf schools as to how conflict resolution is taught/handled. Two of the schools are AWSNA.

What other criteria could I use to compare one Waldorf school to another? What would you look for?

Rachel
trying to get up to speed quickly.
#2 of 4 Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 AM

You mean among kids, right?

It really isn't commonly taught in a Waldorf grade school. Waldorf teachers are trained to deal with conflict on a spiritual plane, but not directly with students.
#3 of 4 Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 AM

Oh, but someone hopefully can talk about Kim Payne who is a consultant that helps Waldorf schools with conflict resolution. I don't know anything about his approach except that it is Waldorf oriented. Hopefully someone has some details!

And one more thing: the culture of a class from 1st grade is really defined by the class teacher, so the most important thing would be to ask the teacher you child is going to have. In the nursery/kindy level, I would say that redirection is the best way to describe what they do.
#4 of 4 Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 PM

hi, rachel! We talked on the phone the other morning (I'm at one of the three schools in MN!), and I know that all three schools have worked extensively with Kim Payne. The two larger schools have been able to better integrate his work, as it relies heavily on the 8th grade class leading the way for the other children. Our little school has worked with it in the past, and still is incorporates some of his methods, ideas, and solutions. I work very directly with my students, as do more and more Waldorf teachers, realizing that it is part of our work to help the children learn these skills as well.

Orangewallflower is right in her assessment of the early childhood approach, and teachers also help older kindergarten children to work through situations a bit more directly. I'm sure that any of the teachers would be happy to talk with you at greater length.

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page