How important are "Waldorf" colors to you? - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > How important are "Waldorf" colors to you?
Mom2Ian's Avatar Mom2Ian 12:34 AM 04-18-2010
I'm relatively new to Waldorf and have a 2 year old boy. Although I know the Waldorf community is not "homogenous" and families will differ somewhat on their view of the philosophy and the implementation of it - I wanted to ask how everyone feels about colors, particularly in their home.

Before DS was born (and before I had read anything about Waldorf/Steiner etc) we painted a farm scene mural on his wall. We live in an old farmhouse and this just seemed to fit. I still like it very much, but although most colors are muted/pastel, we had a big red barn, some red apples in the trees and some of the trees are very dark green.

I didn't really think much of this until one day when DS pointed to the barn and said "yucky barn" (he's 2). Then I got to thinking, maybe I should repaint it a softer color. On a whim I decided to paint it a light yellow. I like it better, but I'm wondering if I'm going "Waldorf crazy" and my husband thinks my repainting the barn is "bizarre" even with our son saying it was "yucky." Red is also my least favorite color, but since it was a barn, it seemed like it should be red when we decided initially.

So I guess my question is, how do other families incorporate colors into their home/child's room - is this something that is important to you? Why or why not?

Tashakittie's Avatar Tashakittie 04:50 PM 04-18-2010
For me, "Waldorf Colors" mean a combination of natural, earthy hues, woods, and great warmth. I understand the warm, womb-like intention of the Lazure, "peach blossom pink" rooms, and I do think they are beautiful. When we decorated Ds's room, when he was 3, he said he wanted his walls to be green, his most favorite color. We chose earthy, soft shades, and used them interchangeably. His floors are wood, the shades are wood, and the furniture is wood, so everything is inviting and warm. We also live in South Florida, so we have a lot of natural light year round. For me, the room needs to be a safe haven and reflect nature, and I feel we have done so perfectly, also reflecting my own artistic expression, and my ds's personality. His room is beautiful, we all love hanging out in there!
accountclosed3's Avatar accountclosed3 07:29 AM 04-19-2010
i don't think abut this, personally. our house is a rental, and a nice neutral cream with white trim. we have cream curtains in one room, and green in the other. our shared bedding is white and grey.
WindyCityMom's Avatar WindyCityMom 01:06 PM 04-19-2010
Our living situation is not ideal and our walls are yellow. Mustard yellow. "Exotic Honey" to be exact! It goes halfway up the wall and is wood paneling so it's not too bad...

In an ideal situation, I would keep the colors more "waldorfy". I really, personally enjoy the pinkish color! I think it is beautiful.

The only thing that we don't really do is keep earthy colors off of the baby. I mean, she doesn't wear all brown or anything but I guess it depends on how anthroposophical your ideals are
aHikaru's Avatar aHikaru 11:30 PM 04-11-2011

Planning on getting supplies tomorrow to start to lazure a wall in our rental, i personally dont mind if i have a rental, i choose to decorate it how i want.

onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos 06:55 PM 04-12-2011

i think about it in terms of avoiding horrible bright un natural colors when possible but as long as it is natural i don't mind. I wouldn't mind a red barn but if you don't like it a yellow barn is good too :)

Jenn_M's Avatar Jenn_M 12:38 PM 04-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandraz View Post

Planning on getting supplies tomorrow to start to lazure a wall in our rental, i personally dont mind if i have a rental, i choose to decorate it how i want.

Not everyone has that option.  We live in a rental and aren't allowed to paint.

aHikaru's Avatar aHikaru 05:07 PM 04-13-2011

I'm not necessarily allowed to paint in my complex either, we have to make it look like we never painted after we move. Making adjustments, such as hanging pictures may worry some, but this is my home and I like the feeling of being free, so I do what makes me happy, and if that means painting a wall and possibly getting repercussions for it later, so be it. I myself am rather free spirited with a tendency to over think a lot of decisions, but being creative in an artistic matter is rather uplifting for me and is worth it and i know they won't be able to tell when the time comes.

Melaniee's Avatar Melaniee 02:22 PM 04-18-2011

I think about it, but our children's rooms were already painted soft blues and yellows. I wasn't going to repaint them. :)  Now we've got rental creme.  I did try to do what I felt was peaceful harmonious colors, at the time, though in later reading decided what is peaceful and harmonious to an adult may not be to a child. However the budget didn't include redoing their rooms.   If we end up somewhere we plan to stay longer, next time, I will likely do a mock lazure with the children in their rooms, at least on one wall.   Cassandra what colors are you planning to do?

aHikaru's Avatar aHikaru 04:48 PM 04-18-2011

Melanie,

I just found out three weeks ago we'll be staying here for our entire lease term, so that's why i decided to decorate a bit.

We're are just doing one wall in the living room (her playroom), her favorite color is green, so I'm trying to figure how to incorporate another color with that. But i am leaning more towards pink and peach, considering thats her second favorite color, maybe when we move and she gets her own space i'll do that green. But those are the ideas for now.

Cas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post

I think about it, but our children's rooms were already painted soft blues and yellows. I wasn't going to repaint them. :)  Now we've got rental creme.  I did try to do what I felt was peaceful harmonious colors, at the time, though in later reading decided what is peaceful and harmonious to an adult may not be to a child. However the budget didn't include redoing their rooms.   If we end up somewhere we plan to stay longer, next time, I will likely do a mock lazure with the children in their rooms, at least on one wall.   Cassandra what colors are you planning to do?

Tags: Waldorf
Up