Pick your top three - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you were to have three *things* (toys, art supplies, gadgets) in your Waldorf collection, what would it be?

As we are slowly crawling our way toward more of a waldorf way ( and I do mean crawling) I don't want to go overboard in buying everything I see. For one thing I can not afford it, and another thing, it's to overwhelming. We have paired her toys down again, and it still seems like a lot. There are lots she doesn't play with, but I am afraid of taking more away because right now she is going through a rather emotional time (she is 4.5) and I don't want to upset her to much.

Thanks!

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#2 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM

I like your question and completely understand the "emotional" aspect of 4.5 year old girls (mine is 5.5 now). But, I'm sitting here trying to think of our top 3 and I keep thinking of things that aren't things! We switched to Waldorf almost 2 years ago. We bought lots of Waldorf things along the way like toys, art supplies, some wall art, etc. But, the things that matter to me most and have remained central to our life are Waldorf habbits like playing outdoors, noticing/appreciating nature, no TV, cooking together, learning poems, singing seasonal songs, etc. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I wanted to confess that after all this change and Waldorf-adoption, the things now matter least.

Still, I'll try. Maybe: 1. Wet watercolor paints 2. block crayons 3. child sized gardening tools

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

#3 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 04:09 PM

1. Play Kitchen- you can use "goodwill" plates and cups & acorns, rocks and shells for "play food"

2. Wooden blocks

3. A bunch of play silks

4. Waldorf baby doll and clothing

5. Lyra pencils and Stockmar stick/block crayons

6. Doll stroller

Sorry, I couldn't get down to 3 must-haves...but 6 is close

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#4 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 05:29 PM

If you are so inclined, I've found that ANY toy that my 2 1/2 yo ds sees me make for him or one he helps make are the ones he forms a real attachment to. It's very rewarding! We've wet felted some colorful wool balls (good for indoor play!), I've sewed some VERY simple clothes for his dolly, I've recently taken up needle felting (easy!) and he truly appreciates the toys we make together. Just yesterday he asked me to needle felt a blue fish with blue eyes. Done! Dh has cut a fallen tree branch into a ton of "coins" that get loaded and unloaded into the dumptruck endlessly, and some bigger pieces that are used as natural tree blocks. When it's a bit warmer weather we will dye some playsilks and tee shirts.
#5 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 06:51 PM

1. Baskets. We LOVE baskets. We go on nature walks and my 2yo brings along a basket to collect flowers/pine cones/rocks/etc. for our nature table.

2. Playsilks- they can become anything.

3. Wool roving and needle felting stuff. Because you can make almost ANYTHING for your LO our of wool. You can wet felt too. Both methods of felting are super easy and if my 2yo likes helping me wet felt, I'm sure your 4.5yo will too!

We have yet to move onto beeswax stuff, but I'm sure that in the future they will be another favorite!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#6 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
1. Baskets. We LOVE baskets. We go on nature walks and my 2yo brings along a basket to collect flowers/pine cones/rocks/etc. for our nature table.

2. Playsilks- they can become anything.

3. Wool roving and needle felting stuff. Because you can make almost ANYTHING for your LO our of wool. You can wet felt too. Both methods of felting are super easy and if my 2yo likes helping me wet felt, I'm sure your 4.5yo will too!

We have yet to move onto beeswax stuff, but I'm sure that in the future they will be another favorite!

for some reason, I am unable to wet felt. I don't know what my problem is, but it never comes out right. Maybe I am not felting for enough time?

#7 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

Yeah, add the roving and needle felting stuff to my list too! You can make ANYTHING, just like the PP said! Play food, animals, trees, seasonal decorations, playmats....the list goes on and on! That makes 7 must-haves on my list then!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#8 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Banned

i think that the best thing would be a good resource for you. for example, Seasons of Joy is a good resource because it provides a good foundation/framework for things you can do to "waldorf-ify" your life.

then, i would focus on the supplies that you need to facilitate that--whether it's simple instruments for songs, or art supplies, or what not.

i do not focus on toys. call me crazy, btu i feel like my son has plenty of toys. i grant you, he is young. but, he has blocks, wooden trains, a number of stuffed animals, and his instruments (which he plays most). he also has some books that we read and 'read.' but i do not focus on the toys at all.

and since your daughter has--by your own reckoning--too many toys, just de-emphasize that for now. when the time is right, cull the toys back again, and then at birthdays or christmas (or your holiday of that variety) replace with "waldorf" toys and art supplies.
#9 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Yes, what he PP said is a VERY good idea. Spend your money on an inspiring Waldorf resource for yourself. That will go a long way!

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

#10 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsiLeaf View Post
for some reason, I am unable to wet felt. I don't know what my problem is, but it never comes out right. Maybe I am not felting for enough time?
Maybe it's the roving, or your water might not be hot enough, or you aren't using enough friction. It was hard for me at first, but after awhile I got the hang of it. If I make balls, I stick them in a nylon stocking and tie it tight, and run it through the washer with a load of towels (on hot). If it still isn't felted all the way, I help it along by needle felting

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#11 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 04:54 PM

I'm with pps. Get yourself some great books. The things I value most are the thoughtful sacred-seeming time that the kids and I have when I do the work of planning and learning ahead of time. I needed help learning new songs and rhymes and developing a good rhythm to our day...books have been my #1 Waldorf 'thing'.

We also just pared down and although I'd love a Waldorf-y collection of toys, I'm happy for now watching my boys rediscover the good-quality mostly wooden toys that survived the purge.

Oh, and be careful with picking up a felting habit...it's ADDICTIVE. In fact, you may as well add in a line item to your budget right now because same time next week you'll be posting in Crafts about which felting tool works best for a 2-inch gnome hat...

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#12 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
mlh

My kids are 6 and 3 and the items they have played with the most over the years are:

1. play silks and clips (this is technically 2 things
2. Wooden or organic cotton Kitchen food...no need for the kitchen if this is too much, but if you can swing getting a play kitchen also that would be great
3. Beeswax crayons

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#13 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 PM

I vote for:

Earthschooling - we have a lifetime membership and I love it.

Beeswax crayons and the "Coloring with Block Crayons" DVD

blocks

And Home Made Toys - it's great if they tie into one of your stories and especially good if your child sees you make them! So, you can make her a dolly

Homeschooling

Roland 08/03
Oscar 05/07

http://pnwlifelearning.blogspot.com/

#14 of 27 Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM

1 - playsilks get daily use here
2 - salt dough (just made by us) with an assortment of wooden knives, cookie cutters, and rolling pins
3 - play kitchen (although the dishes and food get more use than the kitchen itself)

DD2 is also super-keen on her Waldorf baby. DD1 not so much. Depends on the child.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#15 of 27 Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 PM

Our Waldorf teachers recommended this book and once I was done with it I realized the work still needed to be done of getting rid of things. Once we could see the floor and the shelves the favorite things are:

the play kitchen, mostly various items, like a coffee table from craigslist
crayons
lacing games, like this but there are all different shapes and sizes so that they can pretend to work alongside me

I get a lot of inspiration from this blog and her photos.
#16 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons_undone View Post
Our Waldorf teachers recommended this book and once I was done with it I realized the work still needed to be done of getting rid of things. Once we could see the floor and the shelves the favorite things are:

the play kitchen, mostly various items, like a coffee table from craigslist
crayons
lacing games, like this but there are all different shapes and sizes so that they can pretend to work alongside me

I get a lot of inspiration from this blog and her photos.
Simplicity Parenting is sooo good. I wish I owned it. Maybe I should have asked someone to buy it for me for mother's day. Books for you are much more important than the toys or lack of toys. I think the most important thing is the lack of television in your kids lives. When you don't have a TV, kids play.

Oh The Parenting Passageway blog is also amazing.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#17 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Yes, Simplicity Parenting!! It is very inspiring and I never put it down without renewed energy to make our home and rhythms more meaningful to us.
#18 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsiLeaf View Post
Oh good, I thought it was just me. I have been unable to do it as well. Everyone talks about how easy it is, and my stuff always comes out so weird looking!

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#19 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM

-Playstands (and can I add play silks/cloths (You can get colored muslin pretty cheap in the summer months or dye your own) and play clips as an all-in one?) Dc play with these *all*the*time*.

-Playsilks (I've had fun dying my own from dharma if cost is an issue)

-simpe dress up items (capes, hats, playsilks tied)

-play kitchen (though at 4.5 I wonder how many more years you'd get out of it?)

-dolls and doll "accessories" like sling/carrier, pram, clothing, tiny spoons...

I know it depends upon your particular child, however around here things which do not get played with (that I want gone anyway) often disappear overnight (or while they're at school). So far, only one thing has ever been missed such that I had to deal directly with it, and Dc was 6-7 yo at that time.

ETA: And though I enjoy needlefelting, handsewing, knitting, etc. etc. I am also wet-felt challenged! I have pretty much given up.
#20 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 AM

*Hi* It's Rosaleen here (I'm not stalking you, honestly) just thought I would say what our top three toys are:

-Wooden pram
-Natural doll
-wood play kitchen with pots and pans

The pram and doll are played with morning and night in our home!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#21 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
*Hi* It's Rosaleen here (I'm not stalking you, honestly) just thought I would say what our top three toys are:

-Wooden pram
-Natural doll

Rosaleen! I owe you a return email. I keep meaning to do it, but then I start and then well the pixies in my mind take over and I forget!

My daughter does love her babies. I made her one, albeit a very crazy looking one.

Thanks everyone!

#22 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=Melaniee;15391052

-play kitchen (though at 4.5 I wonder how many more years you'd get out of it?)

[/QUOTE]

I though this was interesting, i might be wrong, and it depends on the child, but i would expect a five year old to be still playing with her play kitchen until she reaches 7 at least. I was even hoping 8 or 9 if there is a younger sibling around. I remember working at a school about 5 years ago and the eight year olds still liked playing mums and dads...and play pretending stuff. But children grow up so quickly now () I would love to hear when other people expect LO's to stop playing with certain items.

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#23 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I though this was interesting, i might be wrong, and it depends on the child, but i would expect a five year old to be still playing with her play kitchen until she reaches 7 at least. I was even hoping 8 or 9 if there is a younger sibling around. I remember working at a school about 5 years ago and the eight year olds still liked playing mums and dads...and play pretending stuff. But children grow up so quickly now () I would love to hear when other people expect LO's to stop playing with certain items.
While I do expect my 5 year old to still play with it, I just don't see getting as many year's "use" as if the child was 2 or 3. And ITA, if there is a younger sibling that does change a lot. I'm sure my 8 yo plays with a lot of things he would not if he didn't have a 4 yo sibling. However, in our house, the reverse is true which is that the little one tries to 'catch up' to the bigger one as fast as she can.
#24 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Another vote here for Simplicity Parenting. In response to the original post, that was exactly what I was going to post. I'm in major overhaul mode right now, and buying more things hasn't barely crossed my mind. (my kids are 6 and 4 so we already had way too much stuff). I did think today about buying some of those wooden clips to use with playsilks but I pulled out some clothesline clips (the kind with springs in them) and will be buying more just because they are cheap and plentiful.

Happy Simplicity to you all.
#25 of 27 Old 05-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post
While I do expect my 5 year old to still play with it, I just don't see getting as many year's "use" as if the child was 2 or 3. And ITA, if there is a younger sibling that does change a lot. I'm sure my 8 yo plays with a lot of things he would not if he didn't have a 4 yo sibling. However, in our house, the reverse is true which is that the little one tries to 'catch up' to the bigger one as fast as she can.
When older children in the neighbourhood have come over to play, they can't stay away from our play kitchen. The ten-year-old neighbour loves that thing. Just my experience.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#26 of 27 Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:

-Wooden pram
-Natural doll

I would pick these things exactly. Except that our "pram" is just a pushcart. It has been used as a baby stroller, shopping cart, car, lawn mower, vacuum, ...I could go on and on.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#27 of 27 Old 05-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
When older children in the neighbourhood have come over to play, they can't stay away from our play kitchen. The ten-year-old neighbour loves that thing. Just my experience.
ITA. I see kids on their knees playing with bead mazes in stores. I think when it's not in their home it's always going to be of interest.

I'm not trying to say no one should buy one, BTW, I love it! I can't imagine parting with ours, ever. I like to organize it when the kids are away. Shhh...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page