Tell me about your day... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've got a three and two year old. Looking to get more rhythm and habits into our lives. What do your days look like?
#2 of 8 Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 PM

Our days are varied rhythm-wise since they are in waldorf nursery 3 mornings a week but I will share something that I have learned both from waldorf books and from experience as a mother.....alternate active and quiet activities throughout the entire day no matter what! It eliminates major meltdowns, both in me and my kids!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#3 of 8 Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

pretty basic:

wake up

straighten up--make bed, pick up any messes left around from Dh or the night before

breakfast--cook, eat, clean up

chore--daily chore (three days a week)

free play or activity-- two days a week we go out of the house: 1 to the community garden to weed and play; and 2. to the steiner playgroup. the other three days are free play indoors or music.

snack time and then nap time. he usually sleeps through my lunch, so i make lunch for DH and I, and then i'll prep a lunch for DS to be given to him when he wakes up. I then go to work and DH stays home with DS.

the afternoon rhythsm is generally this--

lunch with DH, then clean up after lunch

city walk and park explore--they walk along a couple of city streets and say hi to the different shop keeper-friends of ours. then, they explore a couple of parks along the way--one by the church that also has a rose garden, one by our house which is rather "natural" in a lot of ways, and another that we jsut found that looks a bit more cultivated with flowers and such.

return home and have a snack, and then free play time indoors.

i return home from work and DS nurses while DH preps for dinner. i finish cooking dinner and we eat together. then we clean up dinner and prep for the next day (soak beans, whatever).

then we do a quick clean up of the whole house--putting things away--and then get ready for bed and quiet time. bathroom stuff (face, teeth, toilet), PJs, get into bed, read stories to each other (this is really fun because DS is 19 mo and doesn't "read" or have sentences yet. but he's cute the way he "reads" to us. we are currently reading norse myths. followed by winkin, blinkin, and nod and goodnight moon). DS nurses down while DH reads to us, and is usually asleep by 8:30.

DH and I have time to do what we want, which right now, is watching Weeds on DVD! LOL i know, not at all waldorfy. but, we like a bit of entertainment now and again.
#4 of 8 Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 AM

I didn't really get a more structured rhythm until dd was 3. At age 2, we just followed her sleep and eating routines and kind of did whatever we felt like (play, go outside, tear toilet paper and watch it flush . . .)

Dd is nearly 4.5 and this is a typical spring day for us:

9-10 am--wake-up, nurse in bed and snuggle, talk about our dreams (we co-sleep)
10-11--I make up the bed, do a few chores, make and eat breakfast
11-1--play inside on yucky days, otherwise take a nature walk
1-2--lunch
2-3--shower for me (or on Wednesdays and Fridays for dd)
3-5--playtime either indoors or out (snack is at 4 pm)
5 pm--come home and make dinner
6 pm--dinner
7-9--family playtime
9--bedtime snack, get ready for bed, candle and prayer time, read books
10-11--rock and sing dd to sleep
11-1 am--my time

It really varies by the day, though, like Mondays I do a lot of baking and cooking so we usually only go out in the mornings. On Tuesday, we clean after dinner in the spring/summer and in the afternoon during the fall/winter. Thursdays we paint in the afternoon during the winter but only on yucky days in the spring and summer, or if we just feel in the mood. This summer we're going to be spending most of our afternoons at the pool, so that will push my shower time until after we swim. We only do errands on weekends so our weekdays are all at home, which at the very least I think provides a consistency of its own. I always feel guilty, though, that we don't have a more firm rhythm.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#5 of 8 Old 04-29-2010, 03:14 PM

I'll describe my crazy day today!

6:30am: DD woke up and told me "it was a beautiful day!" which it was, but I was tired from not sleeping much the night before, so we laid in bed for awhile talking/she played with her dolls and I drifted in/out of sleep.

8am: Breakfast + clean up. Today we had easy breakfast of cold cereal + fresh fruit.

8:30-9:30: Story time; read the Little House little kids books, and "Where do they Go when it Rains.." and talked about them while having some tea.

10-12:30: Friend came from far away to go to Whole Foods market, went and the kids played in the isles while we shopped/talked. Stopped to smell a lot of candles, got some smoothies and sat for awhile.

12:30-4: Quiet time, since my pregnancy I hired a mothers helper to take DD to the park and outside so she can run and get chased because at 32 weeks pregnant, I just can't. I need to rest! So that's what I'm doing, and she's outside.

4-5: Quiet time/dinner. We are having homemade pizza + roasted veggies.

6pm: Doctor for moi, DD is tagging along to "ask questions" her words

7pm: Home + bed time.

This day is a little bit crazy with a lot going on!

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#6 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 02:51 AM

I'm looking for ideas for my 2 y.o. DS as well so I'm subbing. I just got a book to help with this in the mail today that looks like it will be good - Seven Times the Sun -Guiding your child through the rhythms of the day by Shea Darian. I haven't started it yet however. Just thought I'd pass it along
#7 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 PM

I recently posted our rhythm in another thread, but I will put it here too I guess
I have a 2.5 yr old DS1 and a 3 month old DS2. Baby hates all carseats/strollers/carriers, so for now our outside time happens while he naps (so no walks). I hope that changes soon!

8:00-8:30 Wake up, diaper change/potty, nurse DS2
8:30-9:15 Prepare breakfast, eat, clean-up
9:15-10:00 Free play (I would do handwork here if I didn't have baby to hold. We usually sing/play piano/read books during this time too.)
10:00-10:30 Nap for DS2/Daily chore
10:30-11:00 Creative Activity for DS1 (dough play/painting/drawing)
11:00-12:00 Outside freeplay or work in the garden
12:00-1:00 DS2 wakes up/Prepare lunch, eat, clean-up
1:00-2:00 Free Play
2:00- 5:00 Story/Nap for both DS1 and DS2 (I use this time to email/knit/bathe/do something for myself)
5:00- 6:00 Play outside/inside
6:00-6:45 Play with Dad, prepare dinner
6:45-7:30 Eat dinner, clean-up
7:30 Clean up
8:00 Bath for DS1
8:30 Story, Bed for DS1
10:00 Baby settles for the night

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#8 of 8 Old 05-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Let's see. Our days are so varied. Right now we're working at a farm, so we wake up and he nurses and we be silly. Then I get up and make breakfast, usually a smoothie or fresh orange juice, Saturdays we make pancakes because we don't have to go to work (pancakes make me too thirsty when I'm working). Then I clean up stuff while he plays or do some small woodworking. Usually we head over to the farm at nine and work until 2 or 3 or 4 or 5. While I'm working, he helps or plays, talks to people. Sometimes I tell him stories. Sometimes he plays in the van. After work we usually either go to town (post office, library, shopping, playground, etc.). or go back and do woodworking/playing, then we eat dinner, play some more, read or tell stories and go to bed.

When we are on the road (we live in our camper), I haven't really figured out a good rhythm. It sort of depends on where we are (near the beach, inland, etc.). Generally we'll get up, eat breakfast, and then go somewhere to play. I'll try to do some sanding in the morning. Lunch is at mid day. After I'm tired of working, I usually read a book in the afternoons while he plays. Then dinner, stories and bed. When we don't have a "home" base, we usually go food shopping every day, because we have no refrigerator. And that usually gets worked into our evening routine.

Almost all of our time is spent outdoors. We go to the library a lot. I liked the part in the Rainbow Bridge book that I was just re-reading yesterday, where she says that when you are trying to create more of a rhythm, you start with one activity at a time and make it a beautiful, purposeful event, and then move on to the next thing.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page