Heaven on Earth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2010, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought this book today and have read chunks and chunks and chunks and I really like it. I was wondering what your point of view on the book is. I've never heard anything negative about it so I'm just curious

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM

I have not read it, but I did flip through it. I was planning on buying it, but at glancing thru, it looked A LOT like You Are Your Child's First Teacher to me. I may be wrong about that, but it did keep me from buying it at the time. Now that we are finally back into a tv-free, hang out and play rhythm, I do plan on running out and buying it before the school closes for the summer. It seemed to have a lot of ideas in it & I NEED to get back to our Waldorf roots!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 AM

It's WAY better than You Are Your Child's First Teacher! YAYCFT has good information, but it's very dry. Heaven on Earth is just a lovely, inspiring read.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 PM

I second that it is way better than YAYCFT. Its beutifully written and the well-designed layout really supports the primary content. The section on celebrations was just fantastic. I think it would be a great book even for non-Waldorf households.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, YAYCFT (that's a funky acronym!) was kind of bland- good information- but still not a fun read. Don't get me wrong- it did help me with a ton of questions I had, but I wish it were written like Heaven on Earth.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 AM

Hmm, well I am feeling the opposite here! While I am enjoying HOE, I got a lot more out of YAY.. I did not mind the informative tone at all; it was exactly what I was looking for at the time. I am finding that my initial impression of HOE as "YAY.. lite" was true. Not that I am not enjoying HOE, b/c I am, but I was looking for a book of different activities, festivals, recipes, songs, etc. I already know the "whys", I want the "whats". I am feeling as though I paid to read parts of YAY.. again :/

So, a good book suggestion for me?

jumpers.gif

Old 06-05-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

dogretro- I think you'd probably benefit from reading waldorf parenting blogs and joining your local waldorf community (if you have not already).. they have more of the "whats" and the "hows"

Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 AM

I sent in the application for the parent/child class which will be starting in the fall. DD1 is finally old enough for it (it's 2-4yrs). That starts in September. I do read a few Waldorf blogs & have seen so many nice things so far. We have been doing A LOT of outside time, even when it has been raining. My goal was to work up to 2 hrs per day, but it has been no work at all! DD1 loves going outside & it is easy to spend hours and hours throughout the day out there. I don't have v much time to get online these days w/ the new baby & I am still only about half-way thru HOE, lol!

jumpers.gif

User Tag List