Is anybody else NOT buying toys this Christmas?Sorry Long! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 117 Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsiLeaf View Post

Hmm.

What about the books do you think are to much for your daughter?

Madeleine is the same age and we have been reading LHOTP for at least a year.  She adores them and I have read to her the proper versions.  I think in all the books, I have had to explain 2 things to her because they worried her.  One was when Pa spanked Laura for slapping Mary in the first book, and the other was when Jack nearly drown in the river. We haven't gotten through all of them yet, as the later ones in the series are to old for her right now, but all the way up to the 4th or 5th book I found to be okay for her.  

I absolutely love those books, I can't explain to anyone the feeling I get when I read them.  They just put something into my heart that I can't get anywhere else because it reminds me of the most special time in my life as a little girl going to school learning.

She's really enjoying the My First Little House books at the moment and I guess I want to wait until I know she is ready for them, we're vegetarian so she has a hard time with Pa going off with his gun to hunt things to eat eyesroll.gif  We have tried her one some chapter books like 'Gobolino The Witches Cat' which she enjoyed but her attention span at the moment is better suited to shorter books, plus her sister is only 2.5 years old so I want to be able to read to them together so the My First Little House books work perfectly....I feel like I'm 'saving' them because it is going to so special for us to read them. We're probably going to read them aloud as a family in the evenings with a candles and stuff so its really magical for her. I can't wait!!!!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#92 of 117 Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrebird View Post

Yes, struggling with what to do about Christmas presents too… though I think we’re managing to go very simple this year.

I also like the want, need, wear, read idea. But four presents is a bit too much for me - our children will be getting two presents each from us: something useful and something playful. I think we’ll do that for each other too. Father Christmas will bring something to read, something to craft and a few sweet treats.  

DS1  (5 year old): a backpack for school and a game.

From Father Christmas: a book I came across at a local fair about the adventures of some Australian animals, perhaps some new crayons or wax, and a few treats (Chocolate Santa, sweets).

DS2 (15 month old): rain suit and a couple of knitted animals.

From Father Christmas he might get a tub of play dough, a few treats, and a book too, though I haven’t been looking yet.

I’ll probably get to Christmas and panic that I’m being too stingy – I don’t think I am, but expectations these days seem to go through the roof!

it sounds like you're doing brilliantly!

I think I might panic that I'm being too stingy but i need to stay strong!!!! I want simplicity!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think we should post here if

a) we end up getting any last minute bits or

b) we need to support each other that really, it is fine to go simple!!!!!!!

the back pack for school sounds nice and useful, the perfect gift!

I agree with you about expectations! I want Christmas to be about being together,magic,candle light, shared time together, beautiful christmas meal, not the amount of presents.

#93 of 117 Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateye View Post

Gnome Children's Flatware...

http://www.auravita.com/product/Childs-4-Pieces-Cutlery-Set-Elves.WMFA10337.html

I just found this set made by WMF, a German company...I have two sets (baby and child) from when I was young from this company and they are still in great shape--we are using them w/ my DS.  They have many different patterns, but I thought this one might be especially fun for Waldorf families :)

They are so sweet! I might think about those for little L for her birthday in March. Thank you for the link ♥

#94 of 117 Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have been thinking about this one some more...here are some additional ideas, sorry if they are repeats...pregnancy brain, I can't even remember what I read yesterday!

Wooden childs table and chairs (big enough to grow into, I can still easily sit at our set, I think the table is about 23in high)

Child-sized porcelain, wooden, or even metal dishes and cups, child sized silverware (not the baby versions, I think there are several companies that make dishes and silverware for toddlers-young children, these could be used for many years)

Small dresser or bookshelf for their favorite things in their bedroom or play area

Small frames with artwork or family photo (can be hung in their play space at child's eye level)

Calendar with beautiful art or photos

New pajamas (our family tradition is to get a new set on Christmas Eve so we have something to open and something new and special to wear to bed)

We always get new wooly socks in our stockings :)

New bedding...on one of my favorite Christmases, my sister, brother, and I woke to new fluffy down duvets on our beds left by Santa

Ok, that's all for now!  Love to hear more ideas if anyone else has them :)

I love the idea of wooden dishes, they would be great for snacks. I think I need a list b/c all these great ideas are perfect for the future.

We would like K to have  vintage chest of drawers for her bedroom painted in apple green (the idea from the book Milly Molly Mandy) so we might save for that for next Christmas. That would be a big pressie though and would need to be saved up for. Vintage furniture in the UK is not cheap!

Love wooly socks idea too.

New bedding great...I love a nice Cath Kidson bedding set for my little ones, they clash up nicely with vintage quilts. Do you know of cath kidson? or is it a UK thing?

I am loving you take on all this ♥♥♥

#95 of 117 Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrebird View Post

Yes, struggling with what to do about Christmas presents too… though I think we’re managing to go very simple this year.

I also like the want, need, wear, read idea. But four presents is a bit too much for me - our children will be getting two presents each from us: something useful and something playful. I think we’ll do that for each other too. Father Christmas will bring something to read, something to craft and a few sweet treats.  

DS1  (5 year old): a backpack for school and a game.

From Father Christmas: a book I came across at a local fair about the adventures of some Australian animals, perhaps some new crayons or wax, and a few treats (Chocolate Santa, sweets).

DS2 (15 month old): rain suit and a couple of knitted animals.

From Father Christmas he might get a tub of play dough, a few treats, and a book too, though I haven’t been looking yet.

I’ll probably get to Christmas and panic that I’m being too stingy – I don’t think I am, but expectations these days seem to go through the roof!

it sounds like you're doing brilliantly!

I think I might panic that I'm being too stingy but i need to stay strong!!!! I want simplicity!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think we should post here if

a) we end up getting any last minute bits or

b) we need to support each other that really, it is fine to go simple!!!!!!!

the back pack for school sounds nice and useful, the perfect gift!

I agree with you about expectations! I want Christmas to be about being together,magic,candle light, shared time together, beautiful christmas meal, not the amount of presents.

lyrebird, I love your list!  all of you are inspiring me to cut down our list even more.  my DS is only 2.5 and I think we can always scale up if we think we have been too restrained, but once the expectations are set, it is more difficult to scale back.  mamauk--I feel the same way about what I want christmas to be about...it is just so hard not to equate the "magic" of Christmas with lots of beautiful toys under the tree, even though I know that is not what is most magical to my son.

Kat, Mama to M (July 2008) and another babe due in Feb '11
#96 of 117 Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post

Quote:

I have been thinking about this one some more...here are some additional ideas, sorry if they are repeats...pregnancy brain, I can't even remember what I read yesterday!

Wooden childs table and chairs (big enough to grow into, I can still easily sit at our set, I think the table is about 23in high)

Child-sized porcelain, wooden, or even metal dishes and cups, child sized silverware (not the baby versions, I think there are several companies that make dishes and silverware for toddlers-young children, these could be used for many years)

Small dresser or bookshelf for their favorite things in their bedroom or play area

Small frames with artwork or family photo (can be hung in their play space at child's eye level)

Calendar with beautiful art or photos

New pajamas (our family tradition is to get a new set on Christmas Eve so we have something to open and something new and special to wear to bed)

We always get new wooly socks in our stockings :)

New bedding...on one of my favorite Christmases, my sister, brother, and I woke to new fluffy down duvets on our beds left by Santa

Ok, that's all for now!  Love to hear more ideas if anyone else has them :)

I love the idea of wooden dishes, they would be great for snacks. I think I need a list b/c all these great ideas are perfect for the future.

We would like K to have  vintage chest of drawers for her bedroom painted in apple green (the idea from the book Milly Molly Mandy) so we might save for that for next Christmas. That would be a big pressie though and would need to be saved up for. Vintage furniture in the UK is not cheap!

Love wooly socks idea too.

New bedding great...I love a nice Cath Kidson bedding set for my little ones, they clash up nicely with vintage quilts. Do you know of cath kidson? or is it a UK thing?

I am loving you take on all this ♥♥♥

I know a number of these probably require some planning, so not that useful w/ 23 days to go!  I think Cath Kidson just recently became available here in the US, love the patterns, and the oilcloth fabrics--I would love to make a tablecloth for DS's table with these and maybe some placemats (we have him using a plastic one--I just couldn't stand having to wash cloth every single day!).

One more idea...slippers/indoor shoes.  It seems like these often need to be replaced every year!

Kat, Mama to M (July 2008) and another babe due in Feb '11
#97 of 117 Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 AM

Oh, yeah I understand that.  We are a religious vegetarian family and the hunting part was a bit hard for her to listen to.  She understood it and I asked her if she wanted to stop reading and she said no.  I was surprised that she understood why they hunted and we don't.  

They are great books, you will really enjoy them a lot.  I have so many wonderful memories of reading them over and over and over.  Everytime I would finish a book I would get sad because I wanted to keep going.  I wanted the stories to never stop. 

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#98 of 117 Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Ok...we're getting closer...so status update:

Want:  a fabric toy box from Ikea with a few dress-up accessories (cloak, pirate hat, superhero mask)

Need:  magnetic chore chart

Read:  A book about knights

Wear:  I may or may not actually finish his sweater in time.  I won't worry about it if I don't.  He can just have it when I'm done.

Santa:  Ostheimer black knight and horse  plus a "big fence" (turns out Breyer, the toy horse company, makes a great wooden folding fence, just perfect for any herd of horses!).  Santa was a little confused when DS sat on his lap and asked for a fence though!  That was kind of funny!!  He questioned him a bit more and finally figured out it was for his toy horses.  :-D

St. Nick:  a few sweets (Trader Joe's sells the chocolate gold coins!!), and a felt dragon I picked up at the local Waldorf school fair.

I really think this Christmas will be a blast.  He's almost 4 yrs old and very into teasing and jokes.  I've been joking with him that I told Grandma he wants socks and underwear for Christmas.  :)  Grandma is going to tease him a bit by giving him socks.  But just to make sure he gets the joke (she's worried he'd be upset to open them), we're going a little silly with it and making sure he knows we're just teasing.  He's going to help me pick out socks to give to Grandma (I refuse to buy my mother underwear -- it's a thing!!).  And in the tradition of my family, the cats will definitely be giving him some underwear or socks under the tree.  (Our dogs and cats growing up lacked imagination when it came to gifts.  Socks every year!)  I love that my "baby" is old enough to get into the silly things with us!  And it gets us past the "I want this and this and this and this" which is SO hard to combat if you let your kids out in the real world at all!  He's at the perfect age for Christmas magic and I love it!!   My favorite Christmas Eves over the years were when we did silly things...wrapping up a brick in a BIG box with a tiny present, or a tiny box with a "look in the closet" note...anything that makes gift opening more than just a wrapping paper explosion! 

How's everyone else doing at sticking to the plan?

#99 of 117 Old 12-04-2010, 06:20 PM

well, my dh thinks there should be more than

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
And something to read

I am playing around with the wording mainly adding another something or two to make my dh more comfortable with the idea. So far, we have:

something you want - dd - royal figures (making) and lyra face paints, ds - truck

something to create with - dd - pot holder kit, ds - wood sticks ( i am so tired of sanding blocks, I had to purchase them)

something for your room - dd - canopy (making) , ds - mobile (making)

something to read - books

something you need - dd - broom (a replacement is needed), ds - measuring cups and sea sponge for bath

some art supplies- dd - a drawing pad and an art caddy, ds - playdough (making)

santa/father christmas - dd - fairy skirt (making) shelf elf (the only thing she wants for Christmas) some sweets, ds - mop and doll and an apple

I have been trying to plug into this list (and our list is not as simplified as I would like) and rework things to make my dh happy , as I do not want him going out to a toy store this Christmas. My dh goes along with everything, aside from Christmas Day. He seems to not care if some toys tossed or put away. I think mainly because we had a smaller house and he likes everything open. As far as Christmas, he says, "It's about that day." It must go back to his childhood. The kicker is that we just sold the toys he purchased my dd last Christmas at our tag sale.

He is most likely is going to purchase our ds a plastic truck, even though I have showed him the wood ones. He has already been looking, although he said most of them were for 3 years and up (our ds is almost 2 years) I am sure he'll buy our dd a few things from the toy store as well. I have come to accept this for another year and hold out hope for next Christmas. We will even have our children's birthdays and he leaves the gifts up to me. I focus on our advent activities that bring our family together and enjoy creating and sharing in the magic of Christmas together (not let our different views about Christmas Day toys divide us)

#100 of 117 Old 12-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Unfortunately, I think I am one of "those" parents.  I dont really think that I give my kids much during the year (except I do always get them something pretty significant for their birthdays), so at Christmas time, I open the gift closet and see what I've collected in there over the last year...  mind you, gifts from my side of the family are not included (as they dont tell me anything...so its always a crap shoot).

DD is receiving:

• from Santa: Lego "Bellville" House; American Girl doll (she begged for this, so I caved); Scooter
  • from Family/Friends (that I know of so far): perler beads; walkie talkies; Mac Computer Art program for kids; books; plant kit; WII game
  • from us: wrap-its addition/subtraction game; costumes; lego spongebob set (we dont watch the show, just read the books, and they are actually decent books); french knitting set; qwirkle board game; pattern play puzzle
  • from St. Nick: lego camera

DS is receiving:

• from Santa: lego construction set; bike; Maxim wood pirate ship (this thing is amazing)
  • from family/friends (that we know of so far): lego trucks (2); books; WII game; garden tools; pirates
  • from St. Nick: camera
  • from us: pirate puzzle; build-a-bear clothes; costumes; lego city set; leapster (just like sis has...for car use only)

Unfortunately, most family assumed we had a WII....so they purchased the games, which meant we had to buy a WII for the kids for christmas.  Its not such a bad thing, as I doubt that they will overplay it, and since we rarely watch tv, i'm ok with occassional use.

So, did I give too much?  It does add up fast, but the amount of gifts from us doesnt seem too extreme, does it?

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#101 of 117 Old 12-04-2010, 07:34 PM

We are doing great with this. Struggling to get by does kind of help though :p My oldest is getting a poncho I knit her (yarn thanks to a RAK) and the 3 figures I mentioned earlier in the thread that we bought awhile ago and put away, then my youngest is getting a new gnomie hat I knit her (yarn again thanks to a RAK) and a koala bear I am knitting her as well. That's it!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#102 of 117 Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post

We are doing great with this. Struggling to get by does kind of help though :p My oldest is getting a poncho I knit her (yarn thanks to a RAK) and the 3 figures I mentioned earlier in the thread that we bought awhile ago and put away, then my youngest is getting a new gnomie hat I knit her (yarn again thanks to a RAK) and a koala bear I am knitting her as well. That's it!

Lack of funds and/or lack of space are highly motivating!!   :) 

I can make Christmas look pretty small, but a week later is birthday, then Easter, plus little things here and there throughout the year just because.  I'm really happy with what I've heard from family so far!  My sister got him a name-puzzle stool.  And my mom was out shopping for cowboy boots today.  (Boots might be the hit of Christmas this year!)  Last year my brother and aunt's family both got Melissa and Doug things. The inlaws typically send books and clothes because they don't really get what I'm doing, but they've come to respect it which I really appreciate!!  So it's adding up to generous but not overwhelming gifts.  :)  This is the third Christmas since we made the deliberate switch away from plastic, battery powered, or character things.  That makes a big difference too with the relatives!  They might not get it, but they realize it's a long term decision!

#103 of 117 Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 PM

I think we've done pretty well and stuck with our beginning goal.  I'm just posting gifts for the littles as my older two are teens.

ds2 - want - daddy-made drawbridge for his castle

need - rainbrow broom

play with - mama-made apron and chef's hat

read - Elsa Beskow book and a Tiptoes Lightly book

stocking - lyra face crayons, Ostheimer giant, watercolor pencils

ds3 - want - daddy-made jailhouse for his castle

need - rainbow broom

play with - mama-made apron and chef's hat

read - farm book and elf book

stocking - scissors, ferby neon pencils, Ostheimer little red riding hood and wolf

It makes me really, really happy to have a "simple" Christmas. 

A happy woman
#104 of 117 Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM

Here is what we are doing.
For Solstice each boy will get a hand knit sweater and a book (fingers crossed I finish in time!).

For Christmas:

DS1 - waldorf doll (made by me), wool socks, Holtzeiger animal

DS2 - Ore gnome (from the last issue of Living Crafts), wool socks, Holtzeiger animal

Baby - new Padraigs slippers, new woolens

For everyone: the Harvest Time cooperative game

From my parents and my IL's I know they are getting a castle, a king and two knights, some more Holtzeiger barn animals, a set of 6 Stckmar watercolours, some more wool socks, and baby is getting a wool sleep sack.

I haven't done stockings yet, but they will be very minimal. (Except for DH's, since we are only exchanging stockings this year.)

Busy mama to my three little lads!
#105 of 117 Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM

It is going pretty well here. Not perfect...but hey...I am not perfect. I have a few little wooden figures for DD for Christmas and some books. She will also be getting a handknit blanket (assuming I finish in time :)) 

I've asked for family to consider our request of not adding to our toys...and instead have a wishlist that includes woolies, play table and chairs, some art supplies and a few specific Christmas decorations. I am feeling rather good about it all really. Simplifying is good for the soul.

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#106 of 117 Old 12-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'm doing pretty well with my little guy.  He is getting a wooden truck (from us), wooden tool trolley (to hopefully reduce his desire to bang on everything in the house) (from Mimi) and a riding toy (from Santa).  These are all things we didn't have from dd's toddlerhood, so, I don't feel like we are piling on in the toy department.  I've asked for undershirts and socks from an aunt.  My dad is giving him a bear that has the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep prayer somewhere on it.

For dd, we're doing pretty well, too, I think: papi is making another playstand, I actually gave in to an American Girl doll from Mimi (who is also giving her a nice notebook to write down the stories they make up together - I'm secretly hoping she doesn't get much play.  The most beloved baby doll in our collection, though is a Corolle doll my mom gave her for her 2nd Christmas and it's now in the crib with our son and the Waldorf doll I made for him gets zero love!) and 3 crafting/building kits; oh and a yarn basket!  Basket is from Goodwill, will have 1 set of size 9 needles and a couple of small skeins of PF from a crochet gift egg kit I bought 2 years ago and never used.  She's also getting 2 Egglings from Mimi.  I'm hoping we will not kill these.  I am supposed to be making clothes for the Waldorf doll I made for her birthday and a needle felted toadstool fairy house.  I've at least started the needle felting.  Advent crafting has severly slowed me down, though!  On the need front, I have ordered wool slippers and Soft Star boots for her.  Since it has been below 0 here with the windchill, they may make an appearance before Christmas!  She'll get earmuffs from my aunt. Oh, and my dad is giving her a Pillow Pet type thing.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#107 of 117 Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 AM

I have 3 DDs and we celebrate the Solstice but I am following the Want, Need, Wear, Read theme too. 

7yo

Want - wooden flower press

Need - ?

Wear - shearling boots

Read LMNOP

Grandma - doll high chair & sling

4yo

want - groovy girl

need - 

wear - ?

read - snowflake bentley

grandma - dolly bed & ?

6mo

amber necklace and soft baby brush from nova natural

#108 of 117 Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 AM

It's good reading this thread because sometimes I wonder if I'm not giving them enough for Christmas! Any of my friends would think I was horrible and weird!

DD1 who is 3:

Waldorf doll I made

tiny baby Waldorf doll (like 3 inches high)

playmat made by me (like this http://www.etsy.com/listing/39480298/made-to-order-discovery-tote-in-the)

toothbrush!

wooden tangrams made by dh (if he finishes them!)

DD2 will be 10 months old:

Waldorf doll made by me

tiny baby Waldorf doll

shared presents:

a bunch of wool felt animals I made

floor puppets I made

tree block train made by dh

little wooden boat made by dh

I guess dd1 has lots, but I feel bad for the baby.  But I have to remind myself she doesn't know or care!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#109 of 117 Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Our kids are kind of getting a bunch by now, but most of it was not funded by us :)

The BIG shared gift this year, courtesy of my mother :D is the Kinderkram stable & new Ostheimer farm animals.  3 goats gruff, a set of chickens, 1 lamb, and 1 baby bear (for dd2, bears are her animal).  I bought a tiny stuffed flying pig & they already have a ewe and a dog.  I will leave it all unwrapped & set it up under the tree for Christmas morning.

As for the rest, also from Grammy, is an Oscar the Grouch shirt for dd1 & books for both girls.  From dh and me, a wooden letter matching game & an electronic word building Fridge Phonics game for dd1 and a small wooden Noah's Ark for dd2, all purchased at the thrift store in excellent shape, woo hoo!  Small plush Bert and the Count dolls and more books for dd1.  In their stockings, small plush Cookie Monster, a little plastic horn she can toot, toothbrushes, and chocolates for dd1, a small Boyd's Bear & toothbrushes for dd2.  We bought the Sesame Street dolls from Sesame Place this summer, I won the Boyd's bear in a raffle, & the books are rewards from an Usborne Books show I hosted back in February.  All said, dh and I spent v little ourselves over the course of the year to get Christmas gifts, yay!  There will also be gifts from other relatives.  The ones I know are a bathtub pump toy and some more dollhouse furniture.  I am planning to make the girls a set of tree blocks if we ever get our vice mounted to our workbench & I would like to make dd2 a snuggle baby doll & I have the fabric to make dd2 a baby quilt, but if I actually get to that stuff, I will consider it a bonus :)

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#110 of 117 Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

here is what DS is getting this year:

1. home-made felt dragon, purchased at the waldorf school fundraiser;

2. whatever my aunt brings;

3. whatever my ILs are getting him.

these second two will not be at christmas. he has plenty of clothes for right now, but here is how the 4 things align:

1. something you want: he's two, what does he want? LOL but, i plan on only giving him ONE of the toy presents, likely from my aunt, and withholding the others until later in the year or just having them "show up" in his toy section when something else leaves (due to destruction). 

2. something you need: new gum boots

3. something to wear: sun hat

4. something to read: my parents are sending a collection of stories for him. 

also, i learned from our waldorf teacher/leader/parent coach person that he has a very sunny personality -- mostly air and fire -- and over-stimulation can be an issue. so, by keeping his toys--and in fact our whole house--minimal, we actually help him stay grounded and calm. :) this is great. :)

we did a purge of clothes, put away winter gear, and did a run to library/friend's-loaners to give back those things we've borrowed (books, movies, etc), and reorganized drawers, closet, cupboard, and shelves. i have one more closet to clean out, but otherwise, we are doing well with keeping it simple.

also, we have a friend living with us over the next two weeks, so i'm hoping that we'll get a garden in the ground before we go on vacation--perhaps on wednesday and friday we can do some work on that. :) i decided to go with things that are floral, rather than edibles/culinaries because we don't know the state of the soil. we'll do culinary ones indoors in a pot.

#111 of 117 Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Our list all has to do with available sqaure feet :lol

DS has been awesome about some major toy downsizing this fall. We have gotten rid of bags of things, he was so mature about it I was really proud!

So I am making him 2 wallets (one for his foreign currency which he collects and one for his regular money he finds and earns doing jobs around the marina). I am embellishing a thrisfted sweater with a pirtate ship. I am attempting some mittens and a hat from a felted sweater (without much luck at the moment)

I got a fabulous castle from etsy (MamaKopp) that is on hinges to unfold big for play then fold back in small for putting away -- perfect for boat life! I never thought we could do any sort of castle b/c of space but this was the perfect solution and very affrordable too. And a wood car ferry boat for his toy cars also from etsy.

Then some fresh art supplies (wax, colored pencils, and hopefully I will have time to make more play dough plus some mama made blank books) and I am making him a batch of CD's with his favorite music and favorite audio stories to play in his room on the freecycled boom box he has (best freecycle ever, he gets SO much use from it!)

It seems like a lot when I write it all down :) But it's all very carefully thought out as far as needs and space and what will make him smile.

The baby gets an amber necklace and a pair or knitted (etsy) wool longies and lots of kisses.

For his very close friends we make surprise balls -- paper mache balls with shiny rocks, little felted goodies, chocolate coins, etc inside. The kids lots busting them open!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#112 of 117 Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM

My kids are getting a lot but only a few items are from us. I'm just going to put the whole list for ll four kids, ages 6, 4, 1, 3 months since some items are for all of them or at least more than one.

Dollhouse (kinderkram), dollhouse furniture (plan toys), dollhouse dolls (evi), 11 wooden animals (ostheimer), a waldorf doll plus pj outfit (from palumba), 2 dolls (camden rose), wooden building sticks (camden rose), wooden ironing board (camden rose), fire tunnel stacker (gs&h), play clips (camden rose), metal dust pan and brush (from nova), wooden rattle (camden rose), metal tea set (from nova), metal pots set (from nova), baseball glove and ball, hammer balls (plan toys), a dozen or so books, ballet slippers, wikki sticks, children's broom (camden rose), fridge to go with play kitchen (camden rose), cash register, plan toys roller, several movies (from family members), stockmar watercolors, felted ball making kit (from nova), silk butterfly wings (sara's silks), my first Christmas ornament (hallmark), a museum membership, a scooter, a children's dictionary, and walkie talkies (real adult ones). 

It's a TON of stuff and that's not including all the gifts we didn't specifically give suggestions for.  Luckily we live in a big house. DH's family is very generous and gets really into Christmas. They're also, for the most part, well off and able to give lots of gifts. We've found that we have to give them ideas or we end up with stuff we don't want or the kids don't like - such as a big all plastic dora doll (real gift from a few years ago). So now we make a wish list on amazon and suggest websites that carry things the kids will like. I gave out nova natural and palumba this year. We had another call this morning for gift ideas and I suggested a kinderkram stable but who knows on that one, the person I told that to tends to ask for ideas then if she doesn't like the idea she just gets the kids whatever she was going to get anyway - like more legos (which I'm fine with be we have tons already). At least she lives in another state and always includes a receipt. 

#113 of 117 Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post
 We've found that we have to give them ideas or we end up with stuff we don't want or the kids don't like - such as a big all plastic dora doll (real gift from a few years ago). 

Dont feel that this is unusual.  2 years ago, DD received a 36" barbie from her uncle.  Yes, it was taller than her and they could share clothes.  Ridiculous!

Bradenton, Florida
#114 of 117 Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 PM

We're not really doing toys this year. I love the idea of establishing the tradition of four main gifts (not four things, just four sets of things) so we are trying that out this year. We also do stockings, gave a gift for st. nicholas day, and doing a gift for solstice.

wooden roadway

beeswax pillar candle / blanket doll 

solar powered rainbow chime maker

car battery for freecyled powerwheel

himalayan salt lamp - (solstice)

amber teething necklace - (st. nicholas, wrote story using this as inspiration, and necklace is reminder to be like the sun)

5 knitted gnome babies (getting one at a time during advent next week)

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#115 of 117 Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanette0269 View Post

Quote:
 We've found that we have to give them ideas or we end up with stuff we don't want or the kids don't like - such as a big all plastic dora doll (real gift from a few years ago). 

Dont feel that this is unusual.  2 years ago, DD received a 36" barbie from her uncle.  Yes, it was taller than her and they could share clothes.  Ridiculous!

Bachelor uncles always come up with the most interesting things, don't they? 

#116 of 117 Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanette0269 View Post

Quote:

Bachelor uncles always come up with the most interesting things, don't they? 

haha!  You knew he was a bachelor! Good call!

Bradenton, Florida
#117 of 117 Old 12-24-2010, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like everyone had done so well!

Can't believe Christmas Eve is finally here and i have actually stuck to my plan to have a simple Christmas. Even went into town this morning and didn't have a last minute panic and buy anything so I am very pleased. The gifts are all wrapped up and ready to go.....

I did a blog post a couple of days ago because of this thread and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for you support for simple/useful gift giving!

Thank you and Seasons Greetings!

xxx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page