Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi: I wonder if anybody read the recent New Yorker
short story, "The Erlking" about a mother and daughter's
visit to a Elves’ Faire with comments on both Waldorf and
Montessori schooling among other things.
#2 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Is there a link to an online version...?

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#3 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
Is there a link to an online version...?
http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/fea..._fiction_bynum

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#4 of 10 Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
arb

Yes, I just read it, and I am shocked that it didn't create much buzz over here!! In fact, I came here to see how it had been discussed only to find that it had not been discussed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
#5 of 10 Old 11-03-2010, 08:52 PM

I forgot to mention when I first posted that I didn't have any real impression at first as far as Waldorf goes because I was just totally creeped out at how it ended and it had my heart racing and whatnot.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#6 of 10 Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 PM

is this based off of Der Erlkönig?

I haven't read the article all the way through, but it seems like it is.

Der Erlkönig is one of my most favorite pieces ever. My most favorite Schubert piece, it left me creeped out for weeks after I heard it.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#7 of 10 Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 AM
arb

Yes, it is. The author wrote the short story for inclusion in a recently published collection of modern day fairy tales.

http://www.amazon.com/Mother-She-Kil.../dp/014311784X

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsiLeaf View Post
is this based off of Der Erlkönig?

I haven't read the article all the way through, but it seems like it is.

Der Erlkönig is one of my most favorite pieces ever. My most favorite Schubert piece, it left me creeped out for weeks after I heard it.
#8 of 10 Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM

I read the article as well, but it was a few months ago. I was confused and concerned at the ending. I am going back to re-read and see if it reads differently now. I must have misunderstood or read into the story incorrectly.

co-sleeping  single mama to dd5 and ds 15
#9 of 10 Old 11-06-2010, 03:05 PM

i found the whole thing pretty awesome. her choice of goethe's erlking coupled with a waldorf fair, the name ondine--all either well-researched and/or the author has intimate knowledge of waldorf/steiner. i really enjoyed reading it and could relate to the mother's awe of all the beauty and expense of the elves faire.
#10 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 PM

I have no idea what Goethe's Erkling is, but if it is creepy, I cannot read it right now b/c it is nighttime here orngtongue.gif  Sad, but true.  The entire thing from the girl's POV made absolutely no sense to me & I guess that is why.  I hated the ending and it made me feel creeped out and confused as to what had happened.

Otherwise, I did enjoy many aspects of the piece, such as the pressure we parents can feel about the decisions we make about our children's lives.  This school or that one, plastic or no, is this toxic, wow, that is expensive, etc. Yes, I am absolutely delighted by all of the Waldorf aesthetic.  My daughter is also slow to warm up and academic-minded.  She fits in *perfectly* at our Morning Garden class.  I do know that she would flourish at a Waldorf school & I do know that she loves the atmosphere and rhythms.  It wasn't just me picking this for her, it was Waldorf fitting in perfectly w/ our family.  The part that stood out the most for me in the story was the mother's difficulty at finding a brown Waldorf doll.  YES, THANK YOU.  I know that there is writing about Steiner being a racist & I believe it.  I also would not say that Waldorf toys are racist b/c that is too harsh imo, but almost all of the dolls are white.  That is really bad, imo.  Kids are also not supposed to use black crayons or paint b/c it is too powerfully negative.  Well, some kids have black hair and eyes, so how do they draw themselves?  I also thought it was funny how the mom thought the girl should like this or that thing & the kid either didn't care or didn't like it.  That is so v true to life!  Disappointing, but true!  Oh, and I didn't like the undertone I got that knocked Waldorf methodology.  Maybe that was just me..

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page