Newbie- How to Create a "Waldorf" Home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All!

I'm new to MDC, but really liking it so far. Also fairly new to Waldorf, especially where it applies to family life. I have a 10 1/2 mo DD, and DH & I are working on making the transition (or trying to!) to a more natural, "Waldorf" environment in our home. We're doing good, so far, at keeping most of the noisy and plastic toys at bay (I wonder what her first b-day, coming up, will be like though?).

My question (for today anyway! ) is this:

How can I keep my 10 1/2 mo and a 21 mo (child I care for every day) busy/ fairly contentedly occupied while they're with me in the kitchen? I'm in the middle of trying to can/preserve our garden produce these days, and I'm at a loss! Please help!

Thanks,
Jenni

BFing, co-sleeping, no-vaxing, water-birth at home mommy to DD (10/11/09).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniKail View Post

My question (for today anyway! ) is this:

How can I keep my 10 1/2 mo and a 21 mo (child I care for every day) busy/ fairly contentedly occupied while they're with me in the kitchen? I'm in the middle of trying to can/preserve our garden produce these days, and I'm at a loss! Please help!

When my little one was a mobile baby/toddler my mom suggested that I clear out a bottom cupboard and stock it with things for the little one, like a few smaller pots and pans and measuring cups, then he could crawl over and play with the things in his cupboard. It really did keep him busy!

Also, have you seen The Learning Tower? It's expensive but IMO quite worth the money. If you or a family member are handy with wood/tools I've seen some homemade versions that are quite nice and cheaper.

Good luck with the tomato canning plus two toddlers! I'm sure the results will be well worth the effort

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM

I recently found Shannon Honeybloom's book Making A Home...published by Steiner press. It has some sweet little thoughts and ideas on making a waldorf home....or rather making a home that will nurture your family.

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Oh and perhaps the first thing I did that was "waldorfy" was to have a nature table in the home. For me, that really set the tone.

There are many mamas who have made lovely Waldorf homes on this list. Start peeking in on people's blogs. You'll see some inspiring photos and words .

Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabeehilly View Post
Oh and perhaps the first thing I did that was "waldorfy" was to have a nature table in the home. For me, that really set the tone.
That was our first waldorfy addition to the home too! We started it when our son was about 10 months old and its been a part of our home ever since.

I agee with mommabeehilly about peeking in on people's blogs to get ideas. Also, if you are just starting out your journey I would highly recommend the book "Beyond the Rainbow Bridge".

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 AM

Have you seen Rhythm of the Home? It's an online waldorfy magazine and this month they even have an article called: Creating a Waldorf Home. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure it's at least interesting. Also there is a blog called TheMagicOnions that has a Discovering Waldorf series I find it very nice to read.

Also
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniKail View Post
We got a play kitchen when my little guy was about 21 months and he loved it. It was a cheap one from Target and it didn't stand up to time. But you can get them everywhere, even Ikea! Ikea also has a lot of little pots and pans and little baking sets.

mama to DS1 10/04 and DS2 9/07 and brand new DS3 5/29!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 AM

i have all the cupboards they can reach full of things they can use in the kitchen- measuring cups, bowls, etc...

my little ones are next to me all day in the kitchen. my 2.5 year old is the official egg cracker and stirrer.

what i do, is if im doing something they cannot help with, i give them a separate thing to do- like mix water and a little oil...or give them some play clay to knead..

they mostly just want to be next to me working.

i highly recommend "you are your childs first teacher"

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM

We transitioned to a waldorf inspired home and it took us two years and we are still on the journey. I loved Heaven On Earth for ideas!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody! Very helpful tips here. Can't wait to find time to browse some of the blogs of mamas on here and get some inspiration!

I love the idea of having a play kitchen area in the kitchen for them, I'm just really stumped on how to find the space for it. I'll have to keep thinking on that one for a bit.

Thanks so much for the replies and advice and encouragement. What a lovely place to come, here on the "web".

Jenni

Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Banned

at our waldorf playgroup, our "play kitchen" is a crate. they put stuff on top and stir away, they put stuff in to bake. it's outdoors, so they use sand, driftwood, stones, and shells (and water).

in our home, i have a bench in our kitchen (one for sitting, in case anyone else is from NZ and uses the term "bench" to refer to 'countertops'). he uses that as his play kitchen (he's now two, he's been playing kitchen/cooking for about 4-5 months). so it doesn't ahve to be anything fancy. keep it simple.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
We transitioned to a waldorf inspired home and it took us two years and we are still on the journey. I loved Heaven On Earth for ideas!
I can never find that book in my library. I guess I am gonna have to wait and buy it. Boo.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM

Lots of great suggestions here! Even looking at Waldorf kindergarten books is helpful. We loved looking over 'What is a Waldorf kindergarten' for the pictures and ideas for our home as well as 'Raising Waldorf'.
Really, it's just about simplicity and lots of nature inside your home. You don't need expensive toys or anything like that.
HTH!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
Really, it's just about simplicity and lots of nature inside your home. You don't need expensive toys or anything like that.
HTH!
Love this reminder. Our house is decorated with bowls of rocks and seashells. Some of DD's favorite toys are her stick collection.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Lots of great suggestions here! Even looking at Waldorf kindergarten books is helpful. We loved looking over 'What is a Waldorf kindergarten' for the pictures and ideas for our home as well as 'Raising Waldorf'.
HTH!
so true. every flat surface in this apartment has a rock, stick, or bucket of leaves on it every nature walk brings in more....

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
HTH!
I think that's where I may need the most help- learning how to simplify!

~Jenni

Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 AM

Don't we all? hee,hee. We are in the process of doing it all over again. My kids have too many toys and we plan on selling/donating at least half of them.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 AM

Uh, even tho this is about simplifying, if you list toys online, Nicole, you be sure to tell us about it

At 10.5 mos, I'm pretty sure I put dd1's baby swing in the doorway so she could swing while I cooked. Didn't use it every day, but a good bit. At 21 mos, they can help you out a bit. Sometimes once they see what you are doing, they don't really want to help you anymore and will go off and leave you to your thing

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 AM

Ha,ha I will! It's all in boxes right now to be sorted through.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 PM

My little ones also played with their wooden kitchen set while I was busy in the kitchen. A cupboard or drawer with their playthings works well, too. Having play-dough handy or having a big tub of flaxseed to play with could be used too.

Here are some of my favorite Waldorfy blogs that inspire me --

www.waldorfmama.com
www.frontierdreams.blogspot.com
www.heirloomseasons.blogspot.com
www.seventimestheday.blogspot.com

I second You Are Your Child's First Teacher as an excellent resource.

Good luck on your journey!

User Tag List