Missing Childhood Magic Blog :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else out there missing Ariella's Childhood Magic blog? I really think her blog could have been a whole book! One that I would buy in an instant and treasure forever!

Does anyone have any suggestions for "Childhood Magic" type blogs as an alternative now that it's gone?

For those of you who don't know what this blog was like, here is a little peek:
http://artfulparent.typepad.com/artf...ood-magic.html

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#2 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 PM

YES I miss it it was my favorite blog!
#3 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Me, too. I did stumble across this one, though and it reminds me of Childhood Magic: earthboysblog.com

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#4 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM

http://momenttomomentdk.blogspot.com/ is really beautiful, and reminds me of Childhood Magic.
#5 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM

I miss it too
I'm especially sad that the tutorials for the star lanterns are gone. I never got a chance to make them, since my LO's are too young at the moment, but I'd bookmarked it for a later date.

Does anybody know why it's no longer available?

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#6 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 PM

In an effort to not have the computer screen blaring when my son was around, I printed lots of her tutorials and crafts to keep in a notebook. So if anyone wants one, I can see if I can scan them, or mail you a copy, or something.
Just PM me (though I am 40 weeks preggers and in early (annoying prodromal) labor, so I may be a little behind in getting back to folks for a couple of weeks).

Also, there are so many other nice, inspirational waldorf-ish blogs out there. I also love moment to moment (mentioned above).

The fabulous mamaroots! http://www.mamaroots.com/my_weblog/

My pal Nicole (aka GardenMama) http://gardenmama.typepad.com/my_weblog/

The other fabulous Nicole - http://frontierdreams.blogspot.com/

My pal Joy (who has the best recipes) http://www.anartfamily.com/

and of course soulemama

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Poppies View Post
I miss it too
I'm especially sad that the tutorials for the star lanterns are gone. I never got a chance to make them, since my LO's are too young at the moment, but I'd bookmarked it for a later date.

Does anybody know why it's no longer available?
I believe she posted that she just didn't want her children to be so "out there" in the public space anymore. I think when she started it, she did not anticipate developing such a large readership. It looks like she is doing it again, but, now, readership is by invitation only.

#8 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
In an effort to not have the computer screen blaring when my son was around, I printed lots of her tutorials and crafts to keep in a notebook. So if anyone wants one, I can see if I can scan them, or mail you a copy, or something.
Just PM me (though I am 40 weeks preggers and in early (annoying prodromal) labor, so I may be a little behind in getting back to folks for a couple of weeks).

Also, there are so many other nice, inspirational waldorf-ish blogs out there. I also love moment to moment (mentioned above).

The fabulous mamaroots! http://www.mamaroots.com/my_weblog/

My pal Nicole (aka GardenMama) http://gardenmama.typepad.com/my_weblog/

The other fabulous Nicole - http://frontierdreams.blogspot.com/

My pal Joy (who has the best recipes) http://www.anartfamily.com/

and of course soulemama
Thank you so much for the last one! As a WOH Waldorf mama, I find myself in a very different space from most of the other mothers. I will definitely be looking at this one alot. For example, today, there was a post on the group site for my daughter's school announcing the meetings for the Parent Volunteer Organization. Two out of 3 of the upcoming meetings are scheduled during the work day. I had to ask what are the specific goals of the group (no mention of them in the post) so I can determine whether I will want to/need to take time off from work to attend as I suspect I'd like to be involved. Anyway, enough off topic mini rant from me. Thanks again!

#9 of 41 Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
Thank you so much for the last one! As a WOH Waldorf mama, I find myself in a very different space from most of the other mothers. I will definitely be looking at this one alot. For example, today, there was a post on the group site for my daughter's school announcing the meetings for the Parent Volunteer Organization. Two out of 3 of the upcoming meetings are scheduled during the work day. I had to ask what are the specific goals of the group (no mention of them in the post) so I can determine whether I will want to/need to take time off from work to attend as I suspect I'd like to be involved. Anyway, enough off topic mini rant from me. Thanks again!
I understand, I bow down to all of my friends working outside the home. It's funny, because my friends who do are the craftiest and most creative b/c I think they are better about making good use of their time when they are home with the kidlets. I am always grateful being able to do my work at home in the wee hours.

Joy from that blog is a "real life" friend of mine and such an inspiration. I don't know how she does it all, and always with such grace.

Oh -- and one more place for inspiration is http://rhythmofthehome.com/

and of course the crafty crow! http://belladia.typepad.com/crafty_crow/

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#10 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It looks like she is doing it again, but, now, readership is by invitation only.
Does anyone know how to contact her to get an invite?

I can't wait to check out all of the suggestions for alternatives.

My children were really looking forward to doing the projects on Aurellia's blog. It was so inpiring! I really do think she could just print out her blog and have a great selling book! I wonder how many followers he blog had?

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#11 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I believe she posted that she just didn't want her children to be so "out there" in the public space anymore. I think when she started it, she did not anticipate developing such a large readership. It looks like she is doing it again, but, now, readership is by invitation only.
I don't believe she put it back up there. I think what she did was just make her entries private.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#12 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariposaMami View Post
Does anyone know how to contact her to get an invite?

I can't wait to check out all of the suggestions for alternatives.

My children were really looking forward to doing the projects on Aurellia's blog. It was so inpiring! I really do think she could just print out her blog and have a great selling book! I wonder how many followers he blog had?
The last time I visited the site (maybe a week or so ago?), there was a message that it was open by invitation only. Now, I see that even that is gone. So, no ideas here, unfortunately.

#13 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Many of her craft idea came from other people's blogs (which she always credited where she found them). Then she would try them out and photograph them in her own beautiful way. If you remember a project you liked of hers, try googling it with the word blog and you may find where she sourced it from.

Just an idea!

#14 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Also, to add to boatbaby's post, there is a yahoo Waldorf crafters group that can be helpful. When the site first went down, I posted there to get the star lantern tutorial and was provided with a link to another blog.

#15 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Also, to add to boatbaby's post, there is a yahoo Waldorf crafters group that can be helpful. When the site first went down, I posted there to get the star lantern tutorial and was provided with a link to another blog.
Any chance you can share that link here? That's the tutorial that I'm craving!

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#16 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh, I started with Moment to Moment. It's great!

#17 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 PM

::sigh:: childhood magic was one of the reasons I was inspired to start blogging in the first place!
she is an amazing woman and mother....I miss her presence in blogland..haha!
I enjoy writing about waldorf "lifestyle" and parenting....it is a creative outlet for me, and I find lots of inspiration and friendship from other likeminded bloggers! i am so grateful!
http://bendingbirches2010.blogspot.com/

Natural mama to my mid summer DS, 8-7-09 Pre service early childhood waldorf teacher <3
#18 of 41 Old 09-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl View Post
Any chance you can share that link here? That's the tutorial that I'm craving!
Ask and you shall receive: http://thelothians.blogspot.com/2009...-tutorial.html

Enjoy!

#19 of 41 Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 AM

I do miss it, too, and I seriously want to know how she got all of her photos to pop like that! Every single one looked like candy, LOVED IT. I remember that she did say that she felt like she was spending too much time on the blog & not enough time in family life. SAD.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#20 of 41 Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#21 of 41 Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
I do miss it, too, and I seriously want to know how she got all of her photos to pop like that! Every single one looked like candy, LOVED IT. I remember that she did say that she felt like she was spending too much time on the blog & not enough time in family life. SAD.

www.picnik.com

It's free and for the extra efx it's only like $20-some a year. Very intuitive and easy to learn. Also never use a flash, only natural light.

#22 of 41 Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
www.picnik.com

It's free and for the extra efx it's only like $20-some a year. Very intuitive and easy to learn. Also never use a flash, only natural light.
Oh geez! you have created a monster!!!!!!

That site is so fun. NOw I just have to worry I won't do this to every shot I take.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#23 of 41 Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you!!!!

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#24 of 41 Old 09-30-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Many of her craft idea came from other people's blogs (which she always credited where she found them). Then she would try them out and photograph them in her own beautiful way. If you remember a project you liked of hers, try googling it with the word blog and you may find where she sourced it from.

Just an idea!
: What Boatbaby said All of her ideas were other peoples creations she just made again and photographed. She always credited the sources but I think a lot of people still thought she designed them herself. All of them are available online or in craft books.

For her pictures it's really easy to duplicate. She just saturated her photos in some kind of photo editing website. You can do it, too, on Picnik or any other photo editing website out there.

She is such a sweet, sweet soul. I have had the pleasure to chat with her every now and then. I miss her kind words but boy do I understand where she is coming from!!

Her blog was really un-schooling with some Waldorf crafts thrown in, I don't think I would have called it a 'Waldorf blog'. There are so many wonderful true Waldorf blogs out there. Most of my favs have already been mentioned. A couple others that should be mentioned are Waldorfmama and www.asmalltribe.blogspot.com. There are lotsofWaldorf inspired blogs, as well.
We had a Waldorf blog thread going awhile back, if you search for it, it should come up

Anyways, that was longer than I planned. I hope that helps

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#25 of 41 Old 10-03-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
www.picnik.com

AAAAAAWWWWWW SNAP! You seriously need to know that you have now created a monster & changed my life. I used to have Photoshop 7, which I was okay at using, on our old hard drive, but I have had no photo editing software, aside from the auto-correct, in a LONG time.

I did take a photog class in college (back when it was real film, mostly b&w and you developed your own film & pics), but I also got a D b/c I never really paid attention or turned much in ¬_¬ AT ANY RATE, I know that to get the bestest pix, using natural or set-up, non-flash light works the best, but dang it if it is not hard as bells to get a pic that is lit up enough & clear when you are in the house. V v difficult, esp w/ kids! And I have a great camera & lens, too (Nikon D70), so it's not like idk wtf is going on. So, hrm, yeah.

jumpers.gif

#26 of 41 Old 10-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
AAAAAAWWWWWW SNAP! You seriously need to know that you have now created a monster & changed my life. I used to have Photoshop 7, which I was okay at using, on our old hard drive, but I have had no photo editing software, aside from the auto-correct, in a LONG time.

I did take a photog class in college (back when it was real film, mostly b&w and you developed your own film & pics), but I also got a D b/c I never really paid attention or turned much in ¬_¬ AT ANY RATE, I know that to get the bestest pix, using natural or set-up, non-flash light works the best, but dang it if it is not hard as bells to get a pic that is lit up enough & clear when you are in the house. V v difficult, esp w/ kids! And I have a great camera & lens, too (Nikon D70), so it's not like idk wtf is going on. So, hrm, yeah.
BWAA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!! Picnik junkies unite!

Serioulsy though, with a D-70 (drool-jealous) you should be good to go. You can do fine just setting it to the no-flash setting or auto with th eflash turned off and take a millions shots. That's the true beauty of digital... the ability to take 70 shots even if only 5 are worth keeping.

And if some are low light of slightly out of focus, don't sweat it. It's mood. Look at soulemama's blog. She plays with photo editing software but many of her pics are still "imperfect" -- but that doesn't make them any less appealing. They capture a slice of life. A mood. A moment.

And don't be afraid to direct a little. That doesn't mean staging life, but saying things like "honey can you move your hand for a second." And also get into weird positions. Don't be afriad of standing on the sink or getting on your belly or peering thru the window. Some of my favorite ones are ones where I don't even look thru the lens. Literally... just hold the camera up or out or down and snap.

And of course, just have fun! Sometimes shots I didn't think much of glancing at the back of my camera are my favs when I upload and have a good look.

#27 of 41 Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Serioulsy though, with a D-70 (drool-jealous) you should be good to go. You can do fine just setting it to the no-flash setting or auto with the flash turned off and take a millions shots. That's the true beauty of digital... the ability to take 70 shots even if only 5 are worth keeping.
now that's a camera. my ds (1 1/2 years) is constantly on the run and it is almost impossible to capture a photo these days.
#28 of 41 Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 PM

It was my wedding gift from my husband I had been using a nice, but v v basic, manual film camera before then.

What I really truly need to do is finally read the instruction manual (over five years later, whoops!). The biggest difficulty that I have is that in my film camera, there was a circle in the lens that lined up when your subject was in focus, but there is no such thing in the digital. I prefer to manual focus the camera, but it is quite difficult to do w/ out that guide.

DH also bought a v nice lens when he bought this camera. On full auto mode, the pix are fantastic. Simply using auto correct is all I need for almost any picture. I do love to mess w/ my photos, though, & have not done it in a long time.

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually not too shabby behind the lens, I'm just incredibly lazy, haha!

jumpers.gif

#29 of 41 Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
It was my wedding gift from my husband I had been using a nice, but v v basic, manual film camera before then.

What I really truly need to do is finally read the instruction manual (over five years later, whoops!). The biggest difficulty that I have is that in my film camera, there was a circle in the lens that lined up when your subject was in focus, but there is no such thing in the digital. I prefer to manual focus the camera, but it is quite difficult to do w/ out that guide.

DH also bought a v nice lens when he bought this camera. On full auto mode, the pix are fantastic. Simply using auto correct is all I need for almost any picture. I do love to mess w/ my photos, though, & have not done it in a long time.

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually not too shabby behind the lens, I'm just incredibly lazy, haha!
oh man! I am so with you!! I miss my film camera sooo much and have many issues with my digital. I love it but even after 4 1/2 years of owning it I still am stuck in film camera mode and can't wrap my head fully around the digital (I have a now older model Canon Rebel, I went with Canon over Nikon b/c I have always used Canons when I had my film cameras). The circle focus you mentioned if one of my biggest obstacles I have to overcome. I loved that on my film camera.
I wish I could go back to college and take all of my photogtaphy classes all over again but this time for digital I miss my black and white photos though and developing in the the lab *sigh*

OT: Boatbaby - I miss you! I need to e-mail you. Thinking of you and sending you love!!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#30 of 41 Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
BWAA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!! Picnik junkies unite!

Serioulsy though, with a D-70 (drool-jealous) you should be good to go. You can do fine just setting it to the no-flash setting or auto with th eflash turned off and take a millions shots. That's the true beauty of digital... the ability to take 70 shots even if only 5 are worth keeping.

And if some are low light of slightly out of focus, don't sweat it. It's mood. Look at soulemama's blog. She plays with photo editing software but many of her pics are still "imperfect" -- but that doesn't make them any less appealing. They capture a slice of life. A mood. A moment.

And don't be afraid to direct a little. That doesn't mean staging life, but saying things like "honey can you move your hand for a second." And also get into weird positions. Don't be afriad of standing on the sink or getting on your belly or peering thru the window. Some of my favorite ones are ones where I don't even look thru the lens. Literally... just hold the camera up or out or down and snap.

And of course, just have fun! Sometimes shots I didn't think much of glancing at the back of my camera are my favs when I upload and have a good look.
I get a bit obssessed with my images and can't blog unless I'm 100% happy with my pictures which is a bit silly of me really. I need to take you advice to heart and still blog even if my photos are a bit dark etc etc. I actually haven't blogged in past if my photos are bad! You're right, blogging is about capturing a slice of life...

I use Picnik for my banner on my blog (which is great for me b/c it makes making my banner very easy) and also for cropping photos, but that is only very occasionally if I need to crop any facial detail of my child out that I don't want shown. So, I love Picnik too and have been using it for at least 6 months now...possibly a bit longer!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page