Update of sorts -- DS' first day at Waldorf! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi All,

Some of you have followed our journey on my "Waldorf Education and Dyslexia" thread, as well as my comments on the "Older DD to Waldorf" thread.

Anyway, a brief synopsis is that DS (7.5; 2nd grade in the US; Groep 4 in Holland, Class 2 in Waldorf) has been very unhappy socially at his school for a long time. We've tried to work with the teachers, who are lovely and committed people, but it's just not clicking with the other kids in his class. He asked to be moved to a different school about 4 or 5 weeks ago and we started looking at the local Waldorf school because we thought the social environment might be better + he's super creative and loves to link learning with what he does with his hands, so we thought it might be a better fit educationally, as well.

The local Waldorf school asks that children coming in after kindergarten (age 7+) come for three days before a final decision about attending the school is made on either side. So DS went this morning for his first "trial day" to see how he liked it.

I picked him up and he *loved it*! He melted my heart when he said, "I really fit in, Mom!" This is so big for us. He then went on excitedly about how the kids included him and he played this and that at recess and how fun math was and how much he loved the painting they did, etc., etc. I'm so thrilled and hope he loves the next two days as much. Then he can make his final decision.

I've just wanted him to be happy, to have friends, and to be appreciated for the great kid he is. That simply hasn't happened at his current school, despite the good academic reputation.

Anyway, various people have responded with compassion and thoughtfulness to my postings and I want to thank everyone. I'll update when the final decision is made.
#2 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds wonderful! I hope it works out!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#3 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM

#4 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
How wonderful! Here's also hoping that the next two days are just as joyful for him!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#5 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 03:06 PM

I am so glad. I hope the next two days go just as well.
#6 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post
I am so glad. I hope the next two days go just as well.
I agree! I'm hoping for the best!
#7 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

me too! i hope everything continues to go fabulously for him! he deserves to have a place where he feels welcome!
#8 of 15 Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 AM

That is wonderful!

My son had a similar response after his first day. I wondered would it last? Well, it has been over a month. When I picked him up on Monday he said, "This is a really small school. It is the perfect fit for me!" With a huge grin on his face. Definitely a great fit for him and I am so glad we changed.
#9 of 15 Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Picked him up today (day 2 or the three day trial period) and he was tired because everything is still new and different, but happy. He doesn't like playing the recorder much (!), but other than that he seems really happy.

He told DH and me definitively that he doesn't want to go back to his old school except to say goodbye. I do think it's good that he goes and takes leave of it emotionally, because he has been there since he was four and he's almost eight. Plus, I think with the upcoming Fall break and the various bureaucratic stuff going on, it may take a few weeks before he can really start at the Waldorf school. That's a bit frustrating but generally ok. The important thing is that he's made the decision and seems happy with it.

Of course, I guess something could change drastically tomorrow, but I doubt it.
#10 of 15 Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 PM

That is so wonderful, mama! I'm so happy for your son. It is so hard to go to school somewhere you don't feel accepted. I hope he continues to thrive at his new school. Keep us updated!

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#11 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well . .. DS loved his third trial day at the Waldorf school as well and we started to official bureaucratic process of moving schools.

Last week was Fall Break here but, much to our surprise, we got a call today from the coordinator at the Waldorf school and it is all clear for DS to officially begin next Monday.

We thought it would take at least a few weeks before we could move him, but apparently not!

So it's going to be a busy week tying up all the loose ends at the current school, baking cupcakes for his last day on Friday, plus preparing for the Halloween party, but it's really positive. I look forward to becoming part of the community at the Waldorf school and to the constant low-level stress of DS not really being happy or fitting in at his current school disappearing from our lives. I also look forward to participating more in this forum.
#12 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusMom View Post
Well . .. DS loved his third trial day at the Waldorf school as well and we started to official bureaucratic process of moving schools.

Last week was Fall Break here but, much to our surprise, we got a call today from the coordinator at the Waldorf school and it is all clear for DS to officially begin next Monday.

We thought it would take at least a few weeks before we could move him, but apparently not!

So it's going to be a busy week tying up all the loose ends at the current school, baking cupcakes for his last day on Friday, plus preparing for the Halloween party, but it's really positive. I look forward to becoming part of the community at the Waldorf school and to the constant low-level stress of DS not really being happy or fitting in at his current school disappearing from our lives. I also look forward to participating more in this forum.
What a wonderful update! So glad it has worked out this way for your son!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#13 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

fantastic! i look forward to hearing about your family's experience being part of the waldorf school community!
#14 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM

That's wonderful! I've had quite a bit of experience with the public school and both my husband and I are always happily surprised at how kind and sweet the waldorf school kids are at festivals and activities we attend (our daughter isn't old enough yet to attend the school, but we do our best to be involved in the community) I love waldorf education
#15 of 15 Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2Elia View Post
That's wonderful! I've had quite a bit of experience with the public school and both my husband and I are always happily surprised at how kind and sweet the waldorf school kids are at festivals and activities we attend (our daughter isn't old enough yet to attend the school, but we do our best to be involved in the community) I love waldorf education
You know . ... one thing that *amazed* us on DS' first "trial day" at the waldorf school was how nice and compassionate the kids were.

DS had been really looking forward to the trial days at the Waldorf school, but the reality of walking into the new school, even with DH there, kind of freaked him out and he froze in the hall outside the classroom. A girl in his class came up to him (keep in mind, she didn't even know him!) and said, "you can sit next to me." and guided him into the class.

Of course, she could just be an abnormally confident, compassionate kid for her age, but it was also amazing how the kids included him in their activities during his trial days. I really think the atmosphere at the Waldorf school was much more conducive to teaching compassion and inclusion than his rather rough and tumble, though super academically-focused school. It also helps that it's a *much* smaller school. (DS will be the 22nd kid in the class vs. the 28th in his current school and there is only one group per grade).

Anyway, I know not everything will be perfect in the Waldorf school and DS may face some challenges there once the newness wears off, but we think it's gonna' be an exciting adventure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page