Toys for a 10 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there have been a lot of toy threads recently, and I've eagerly read them all, and I now have lots of inspiration for when our daughter gets a little older. But I'm a little stuck on what to do now. She's almost 10 months old, and I feel like her current toys just aren't making her happy right now. We don't have many toys - all her toys fit into one small basket. almost all of them are waldorf-y - she has wooden cup stackers, lots of silks, rainbow stackers, tree blocks, wooden rattles, and assorted plush toys.

So many of the toys I want to buy are just too small for her now (she tries to eat everything), so I'm not sure what to do. should I start thinking about a play kitchen for christmas (when do children start to really enjoy that)? maybe a drum set? (she loves music) or should i just relax? we'll be inside for most of the winter, so I want to make sure she has a nice set-up at home.

any good site recommendations for where to look? i like rosie hippo and a toy garden, and various places on etsy, but i think that's about the extent of my knowledge.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 PM

These are not all Waldorf ideas, just some you might like. How about balls? Felted balls look nice, and we have this great wicker (or ratton?) ball my baby likes. A wooden shape sorter? We have a really nice one from Plan Toys.

I made some sensory beanbags with fabrics of different textures. You could also put different scents in, like lavender, cloves, oregano.... Wooden puzzles with the little knobs you pull the pieces out with?

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

those are wonderful ideas. i just bought a sewing machine, but am a bit scared of it, although i think i could manage bean bags. thanks so much!!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Hello, my DD is nearly 10 months old too!!! She has a small basket of toys with a few wooden teethers in, a small wooden car, a felt ball (which she loves), a hand knitted ball, a wooden bone (sounds odd I know) with two bells in that she like to jingle and some wooden maracas which she enjoys...She also has a small wooden horse on wheels which has a string tale that she likes to chew (lol!) and her aunty just gave her the most beautiful wooden dumper truck that I think she will LOVE when she starts crawling...
I also managed to buy her a beautiful wooden kitchen on sale when she was 3 months old to put by for her for Christmas/ birthday...my niece started really enjoying her toy kitchen at 18 months! Her grandparents are giving her money for Xmas/birthday to put towards some wooden blocks which I think will be lovely! xxx
Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM

Oh and our local waldrof store is having a 50 to 70% off sale on Saturday...eeeeeeek!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:13 AM

DD1 also got her kitchen at about 1 & a half. I do think that 10 mos is too young for a kitchen just yet. I would wait until next Christmas.

This is a great article on natural baby & toddler play: http://www.littleacornstomightyoaks....e%20basket.php

This is the drum set that dd1 got for her first Christmas (8 mos old): http://www.amazon.com/Sounds-Like-Fu...7029361&sr=1-4 It is awesome! A real rawhide & wood drum that doubles as a handled bucket to store all of the instruments. It used to be sold on Oompa, so I assume that the paints are safe. V well made, love this set. http://www.oompa.com is a great site for more challenging toys, like shape sorters & ball pounders. Stuff that will engage toddlers physically & not rely as heavily on imaginative play, which can be sometimes be challenging for young toddlers.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
She might be ready for a baby doll. Or a ball track or a shape shorter (we love the wonderland posting house) or one of those little wooden animals that walk down a track. She also likes a little ball pounder from plan toys. And I second the organization at ooma, it has lots of good toy ideas for early toddlerhood.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 AM

I can also recommend:
loads of balls of different sizes and textures - esp. felt ball and beach ball (great for inside).
Finger puppets
ukelele, xylophone (though there are some Steiner early childhood people who say this is too young)
Wooden book
Graspers
Sandbox inside if you dare
Own cupboard in kitchen (or box) with wooden spoons, measuring cups, etc.

User Tag List