Questions- When is it too late to start and creating a Waldorf-y home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-22-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving in 3 weeks and this will be our 5th move in 2 years. I'm ready for some stability and rhythm in our home. I've taken parts here and there from Waldorf philosophy but now that we are moving into what we hope will be our home for several years I'm considering it a "blank slate." I'd like to create a Waldorf feeling in our home but my girls are 3 and 7 and have been exposed to mainstream everything (TV, radio, movies, etc) their entire lives. Is it too late to make some major changes? How do you incorporate Waldorf into your home?

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#2 of 14 Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 PM

I don't believe it's ever too late- everyone could benefit from a more natural environment with less TV/electronic media. But if your children have bonded to their plastic toys, I think it's probably not a good idea to start throwing out their things without their permission. Eliminating TV cold turkey after they have been accustomed to it will feel like cruel punishment.

I think it would be wise to do some research first and see how you can incorporate the best of Waldorf philosophy with what you are already doing. One of my favorite inspirational books is Children at Play but there are lots of others-
http://shop.waldorf.ca/product.php?p...&cat=29&page=2

http://www.waldorfbooks.com/joyous-l...renting-famili

http://www.waldorfbooks.com/?s=Waldorf+play

It's simply not about how many "natural" toys you purchase.
#3 of 14 Old 10-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Banned

when i was 9 we moved from CA to AR. we moved into a friend's home (house sitting) that was tv free. then we did another house sitting stint without a TV. we were TV free for about 6 months. i honestly didn't miss it, and when we moved into our home with tv, my mom instituted a 'no more than 2 hrs with tv' rule. well, those two hours were typically when they watched TV too, and it was usually programming that i didn't like (like sports). so, i would go to my room and read. sometimes, i would read in the TV room.

what made TV free really easy in those homes, though, was that they didn't have a tv at all. since there was no tv, there was no temptation for it. i'm sure there wre times when we 'wished we could watch tv' but it just wasn't possible so you find other things to do.

when i moved to uni, i didn't have a tv--though tv rooms were available--and i didn't watch tv until my second year when i got a tv for christmas. even then, i didn't watch much tv. when my husband and i moved from uni to our first home, we didn't have tv for two years, then we only had rabbit ears (and 5 or 6 channels). we didn't watch much then, but i watched far more than ia ctually liked (that's a long story).

so, when we moved to NZ, and we've been here 6 months, we decided not to get a tv, and we are quite happy. we do rent movies--and we watch them on our computer when DS is asleep. he occasionally watches you tube videos, but we have greatly decreased that--down to a bare minimum (no more than 3 per week, and most weeks, he has zero).

so, i think that you could easily let go of tv when you move, and it's easiest if you leave the tv behind altogether.

from there, it's just about creating a strong rhythm (daily, weekly, seasonal, etc), and creating the family life you prefer.

so, here are some things that i would do, in addition, that might be nice:

1. paint the home in waldorfy ways/decorate in waldorf-y ways--check blogs for images;

2. simplify everything--i love Your Money or Your Life in regards to simplifying away from consumerism and trash. seriously, it's fantastic. we have very little trash now because of this, and we are getting more and more thirfty as we go. yet, we don't feel that we miss out on anything. we have amazing things--but everything is loved and used!

3. simplify toys and keep them in a communal area. if you look at the way that waldorf schools are designed, particularly preschools and play group spaces, they look like homes. the dining room space has a table and chairs--for morning tea or snack time--but it is also a crafting space. so, you'll see a cabinet with tea cups and baskets with a napkin over the goodies, but you'll also see a cabinet with the craft supplies and so on. and, in our kindy, there are drying lines across the walls where paintings are put to dry, and so it looks decorative as well!

the living room space of the kindy has two comfortable 1/5 chairs facing each other with a small "coffee table" in between. it's about child size, and the kids use this as a "play table." then, the four corners have different play spaces: a kitchen space with a toy kitchen and table/chairs; an area where cars/trucks, and building supplies are kept; an area with soft dolls, play silks and costumes, and a fourth area with a lot of different natural items. Of course, there is mixing of these toys across the room, but it's pretty straight forward play.

by having the play area in the common area, you are more inspired to tidy away, the child is with you and playing 'along side' while you are working or doing whatever it is that you do (if you spend most o fyour time in the kitchen, for example, it might be better to use this area, or an area right next to the kitchen as a play space), and then the rhythm is created too around play and tidy times.

anyway, that's what we do with toys.
#4 of 14 Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

3. simplify toys and keep them in a communal area. if you look at the way that waldorf schools are designed, particularly preschools and play group spaces, they look like homes. the dining room space has a table and chairs--for morning tea or snack time--but it is also a crafting space. so, you'll see a cabinet with tea cups and baskets with a napkin over the goodies, but you'll also see a cabinet with the craft supplies and so on. and, in our kindy, there are drying lines across the walls where paintings are put to dry, and so it looks decorative as well!

the living room space of the kindy has two comfortable 1/5 chairs facing each other with a small "coffee table" in between. it's about child size, and the kids use this as a "play table." then, the four corners have different play spaces: a kitchen space with a toy kitchen and table/chairs; an area where cars/trucks, and building supplies are kept; an area with soft dolls, play silks and costumes, and a fourth area with a lot of different natural items. Of course, there is mixing of these toys across the room, but it's pretty straight forward play.

by having the play area in the common area, you are more inspired to tidy away, the child is with you and playing 'along side' while you are working or doing whatever it is that you do (if you spend most o fyour time in the kitchen, for example, it might be better to use this area, or an area right next to the kitchen as a play space), and then the rhythm is created too around play and tidy times.

anyway, that's what we do with toys.
This is how we have the toys in our home. They are all in the living/dining area in baskets, a little home corner with a play kitchen, a cosy corner for reading, a crafting corner for being creative. We tidy away twice a day, before lunch and before tea. If you go to the archive section on my blog, i do have images of the play area, but I believe I'm not allowed to post links to personal blogs on mothering now. I could PM you if you would like.

Also perhaps you could, if you haven't already, read Heaven On Earth and Simplicity Parenting to get you on the right track?

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#5 of 14 Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! We are going to simplify toys but I would never get rid of things they play with now.

I just really want to have the warm, cozy feeling that a Waldorf home seems to exude.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#6 of 14 Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Have you read _Simplicity Parenting_? It has a lot of good advice for bringing that peacefulness to a home, no matter what the ages of the children.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#7 of 14 Old 10-24-2010, 03:03 PM

I agree with others, it is never too late! Just don't overwhelm yourself and think you need to do it all at once. Go slow and when you conquered one thing (I would start with media!), move on to the next. I didn't stumble upon waldorf until my oldest was 6 and in public Kindy. I am still learning, as we are a waldorf homeschooling family, but we have made HUGE strides as to where we were 2 and half years ago. One thing you will read about Waldorf education is that it is a very therapeutic form of education which is why it is never too late! I also recommend Heaven on Earth and Simplicity Parenting. With those two books, you will have a great plan as to how to incorporate a more Waldorf lifestyle. Good Luck!

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#8 of 14 Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
Have you read _Simplicity Parenting_? It has a lot of good advice for bringing that peacefulness to a home, no matter what the ages of the children.

and...it's never to late (for anything) .

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#9 of 14 Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabeehilly View Post

and...it's never to late (for anything) .
Isn't that so right?

I just discovered Waldorf recently, too, and we are celebrating festivals, and trying to simplify our home. We are doing more crafts, trying to do more family time. It's amazing how much my 9 and 12 year old are enjoying it. I thought the 12 year old at least would poo poo our stuff, but most of the time she's right there joining in.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#10 of 14 Old 10-25-2010, 06:15 AM
Banned

we also have toys/instruments in the "lounge" and we also tidy up at least twice, if not three times per day. my guy is 2, though, so it's easier. I know around age 5, they like to keep things set up to return to them to play.

but, right now, we tidy before lunch/nap time, before dinner time, and then before bed time if needed.
#11 of 14 Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM

i agree that it is never too late!

there is no need to be perfect either.... not all at once.

our home feels very waldorf-y.... however, we have a big screen TV and lots of computers & electronics.

my children will go days and days without tv and then have days with it.

they have 90% wooden & handmade toys, but love zhu zhu pets, little ponies and pet shops.

i would say our most important things, for us, were always bringing nature indoors, we have a very large nature table... lots of watercolor paintings on the walls, and including children in the rhythm of thew home.

the cook with me, clean with me, do handwork alongside me.

i am for simplicity.

naking with many distractions, sorry if typing is horrid.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#12 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 03:23 AM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#13 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 03:59 AM

Another recommendation for Heaven on Earth and Simplicity Parenting! Both books have become very important in our house and I refer to them often!
#14 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have Heaven on Earth, Simplicity Parenting, and Making a Family Home in my Amazon cart right now. A few more Swagbucks and I'll order them .

The girls and I went through their toys and I was amazing that they really wanted to keep very little. We've also decided that when we are going to cancel our cable television when we move.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page