Waldorf inspired infant play gym and swing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to buy my 2 month baby girl a beautiful or Waldorf inspired baby play gym, but don't know where to start. I'm also looking for a baby swing that fits a 2 month old.

The main stream stuff out there seems to be so visually "loud" if you know what I mean. I'm hoping for something along the lines of this http://www.etsy.com/listing/57424366...e-like-waldorf or something else beautiful.

Any suggestions?

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#2 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 PM

It's not Waldorf, per say, but I think this play gym from Ikea is sweet.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 PM

I had my eye on this one with my son until my husband made one that was very simple that we could attach our son's simple shakers and rattles to.

http://www.tiddleywiddley.com/produc...sina-play-gym/

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#4 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The one in your link is lovely but probably more of a room decoration then something that will catch the attention of a young baby. I think you are better off with a simply frame that you can change the toys on and that can be grabbed, rattled, and has baby- safe items The ikea one is simple and less expensive. It is based on some the classic European design ones I've seen. I think a lot of babies lie something to focus on. The usual mass market items are annoying. If you were handy, you could easily build one.

Ooh. I like the selecta one too. I've never seen that model. I love their things.
#5 of 14 Old 10-30-2010, 02:26 PM

We have the Selecta one! It has been through three kids and gets a lot of play. Plus it comes apart to store, which is nice.

The etsy mobile you linked to is gorgeous, but I agree it's more for the baby to look at, maybe to hang above the change table, than to play with. I can just see my babe grabbing fistfuls of roving to shove in his mouth...

Busy mama to my three little lads!
#6 of 14 Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegMomma View Post
I can just see my babe grabbing fistfuls of roving to shove in his mouth...
Good point!

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#7 of 14 Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 AM

Ooh, that mobile is beautiful! I want it over MY bed (which is the kids bed too so that would work)

We didn't search properly for a Waldorf/wooden infant play gym, so I have a colorful polka dot one...I took all the toys off and put a few select things and it works well. DS loves it, and it was only $20, and I figure this is my last kid and I'm only going to use it so...going a little cheaper

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#8 of 14 Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 AM

Oooooo, you all have inspired me. I am so going to try to make one for my little one this holiday season. TRY to anyhow. We never had any play gym or anything for DS when he was a babe and I figure DD will have DS to keep her (over??) stimulated But these are so pretty I am inspired now. If I pull it off, I will post back here.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#9 of 14 Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 PM

I don't have a baby gym myself, but I saw this tutorial for how to make a wooden one with some dowl sticks and small wood blocks from the craft store. It looks cute and super simple.

I'm having trouble with the link - here is the site so you can cut and paste the address if the link doesn't work for you

http://www.seedpodcraft.com/blog/2009/05/09/tutorial-make-a-simple-baby-gym-part-i/

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#10 of 14 Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 PM

I totally second the selecta one! We were on a tight budget so I have the Ikea one which is just fine, you can replace the toys with different ones too which is nice. There is some plastic on it, but its very minimal (the rings are plastic as are the spinners on the side of the gym, but you can take them off and like I said, replace them with wooden toys!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#11 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsummer01 View Post
I don't have a baby gym myself, but I saw this tutorial for how to make a wooden one with some dowl sticks and small wood blocks from the craft store. It looks cute and super simple.

I'm having trouble with the link - here is the site so you can cut and paste the address if the link doesn't work for you

http://www.seedpodcraft.com/blog/2009/05/09/tutorial-make-a-simple-baby-gym-part-i/
Here's the fixed link:

http://www.seedpodcraft.com/blog/200...by-gym-part-i/

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#12 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
That is so great!!! Putting it on my mile long to do list!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#13 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

I love the seedpdcraft idea! I'd like to see if my husband could make it from some nice thick sticks we have in the yard for an organic look to it

That Ikea one is not for sale online and Albuquerque still does not have an Ikea

#14 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 03:28 AM

We have the Ikea one as well, and DD still loves it at 10 months You can easily replace the toys. The plastic in it is minimal. DD now loves to stand up and push it around the house like a walker It's very sturdy

It has also become a puppet theatre, a bridge for cars, and various other things for my almost 3yo DD

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page