My frugal wooly solution - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
X-posting in Frugality and Finance

While I'd love for my ds to have multiple one piece woolies to keep him warm this winter while keeping his cloth diaper covered with no shirt riding up on his back, I just can't bring myself to purchase multiples of these when there are so many other things vying for our dollars.

A while ago, WindyCityMom posted in the sewing forum looking for a tutorial for making a snow suit out of sweaters. That led me to such a tutorial and from that, these were born:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...m/100_5072.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...m/100_5071.jpg

Depending on your thrift store, you can have a cashmere romper for your little on for as little as $6-$10, plus the cost of thread - less if you use lambswool or merino, etc. I used two; cutting the arms off and making them the legs and then another sweater for the arms. The key (unless you know how to install zippers and I've never done that) is finding a sweater that buttons up, but is not a cardigan.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#2 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great job!! I'm planning to order some of this merino jersey fabric to make woolly unders for our family. At $18/yard it's considerably cheaper to do it this way. I can get a lot of tiny baby things from one yard of 80" wide fabric.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#3 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_M View Post
Great job!! I'm planning to order some of this merino jersey fabric to make woolly unders for our family. At $18/yard it's considerably cheaper to do it this way. I can get a lot of tiny baby things from one yard of 80" wide fabric.
Oooh! Thanks for that link. Please post after you make them and let us know how it went. Will you be using a pattern or making one based on things your family already has?

#4 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 AM

I really like the Ottobre magazine patterns. I think I will probably use issue 4/04 for my older girls and 5/06 for the baby.

Will be sure to update after I have made them! We are moving in 12 (!!) days and the fabric is currently out of stock. I talked to the owner and she said it would be about 10 days before it was back in. So hopefully by mid December I'll have something to show!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#5 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
X-posting in Frugality and Finance

While I'd love for my ds to have multiple one piece woolies to keep him warm this winter while keeping his cloth diaper covered with no shirt riding up on his back, I just can't bring myself to purchase multiples of these when there are so many other things vying for our dollars.

A while ago, WindyCityMom posted in the sewing forum looking for a tutorial for making a snow suit out of sweaters. That led me to such a tutorial and from that, these were born:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...m/100_5072.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...m/100_5071.jpg

Depending on your thrift store, you can have a cashmere romper for your little on for as little as $6-$10, plus the cost of thread - less if you use lambswool or merino, etc. I used two; cutting the arms off and making them the legs and then another sweater for the arms. The key (unless you know how to install zippers and I've never done that) is finding a sweater that buttons up, but is not a cardigan.
Just perfect!
#6 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM

those look great!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#7 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM

That's so nice! So is it clothes or a snowsuit? What are the links for snowsuits out of sweaters you referred to? I'm interested in that as well!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#8 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post
That's so nice! So is it clothes or a snowsuit? What are the links for snowsuits out of sweaters you referred to? I'm interested in that as well!
Thanks, mamas!

Here is a link to the tutorial I used.

#9 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Those are awesome. I'm just getting into thrifting wool and am loving all these ideas.
#10 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 PM

This is so neat. I just traded my friend wooden toys so that she would cut up a cashmere sweater I had to make long underwear for my son. It came out so nice. Now I want a pair! I also discovered it's really easy to make socks out of wool sweaters. You can get at least three pairs of tube socks out of one sweater for a kid. At 4 dollars a sweater, you can beat that. Especially because you can't just go to a store and buy nice wool socks for kids. Apparently they are just supposed to be cold (or stay inside all winter watching TV). Mittens are also super easy, and I made the cuffs of the mittens go way up his arm to keep his wrists warm and dry. My next project is cashmere one piece pajamas for him, footie pajamas if I can figure out how. I am in love with cashmere. I wear a cashmere sweater every day as a long underwear shirt.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page