Christmas Gift for 1 Year Old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD will be 13 months at Christmas. I'm trying to establish a Waldorf 'feel' to our house even though she attends a mainstream daycare and I work full time. We had been planning to buy her a play kitchen from Nova for Christmas. One big benefit to the play kitchen is that it would make it easy for our families to know what to get DD for Christmas. There are plenty of wooden and felt food toys available, even at mainstream stores.

But I'm afraid that she might be too young so I've been looking for alternatives.

I was thinking about maybe a Waldorf doll and a doll bed. Do you think a 13 month old would play with a doll? What about a rocking horse?

Honestly I admit it's a little silly worrying about what we'll buy her for Christmas when she won't know that it's Christmas. But I feel the pressure to buy her one big Santa gift.

I hate spending all that money on a play kitchen although I know we'll end up buying one eventually so maybe now in the time to do it.

When did your LOs start really playing with a play kitchen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I would go with a rocking toy rather than a kitchen. We bought our daughter a kitchen for her 2nd birthday and it was not a big hit for a while. At 19 mos my son plays with it, but, surely its because he sees his sister with it. My daughter is a nurturer, so, she loves her dolls. I remember pushing a stroller was a big part of her 2 year old summer activities. I would definitely go with a doll and a doll stroller and/or bed. You could also get her a sling for her baby doll.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#3 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 05:22 PM

My daughter played with her kitchen pretty early, I can't remember if it was 12 or 18 mos or somewhere in between. We bought her a doll for her 1st birthday, because everytime she saw a doll when we were out or playing with other kids, she was very attracted to it. She LOVED it instantly. 12 mos might be to the young side for a kitchen, but like you say, it will get used eventually.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#4 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM

My son will be 15 months at Christmas. I was thinking about getting some play fruit and veggies this year and next, then in 2 years getting a kitchen. I don't think he'd understand a kitchen at all right now. We have a few fabric fruits already that he loves, though. Plus then when we get the kitchen we won't have to buy all the accessories at the same time.

There are these really Waldorf star babies on etsy (I can't find the link right now) that my friend got DS for Christmas. Her 2 year old DD loved it and wanted to keep it. Very soft and snuggly. Maybe something like that would be nice.

We also got him a bongo drum and playsilks (maybe drape them over something to make a little tent with his toys under). I might get him egg shakers, too.

I hear ya on feeling like you want to get one big gift. I want him to have the "wow" moment of Christmas morning. I still haven't found the right big thing yet. Might still have to wait a few years for that reaction, though. It feels like our first real Christmas morning, since he was so little last year.
#5 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You'd probably get more use out of a rocking toy, musical instruments, playsilks, etc. I
d make or choose a simple waldorf baby doll. Something with movement is also fun like a ball track or walking toy.

We have this rocking horse and just love it: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/32043293 it is low to the ground and easy to get on. My daughter get on it before she could walk. It is unfinished. You can finish it with a little beeswax if you like.

However, if your family is the kind who wants a "big gift" for the "big day."
#6 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 PM

I'm dying a lot of playsilks, making a lot of felted balls, and making her a simple Waldorf doll. Her 1st birthday is a few days before Christmas.

The only thing I will splurge on are stacking rings or nesting bowls from speil & holz. not sure which yet. we don't have a lot of money and I need to get something that's wallet-friendly and functional that won't get tossed to the side. I'm leaning towards the bowls.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#7 of 14 Old 11-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
I'm dying a lot of playsilks, making a lot of felted balls, and making her a simple Waldorf doll. Her 1st birthday is a few days before Christmas.
Last year, DD2 was 10 days shy of 12mo at Christmas. I sewed her some balls and made her a simple Waldorf doll. She also got some clothes.

The year DD1 was 13mo at Christmas, my MIL gave her and DS1 (who was 2.5yo at the time) a combined present of an Elves and Angels wooden kitchen. DD1 LOVED it and surprisingly played w/ it quite a bit.

I also like the idea of a rocking toy, but make sure it's small enough for a 13mo. We have a LARGE rocking horse (bought 2nd hand at a flea market) and DD2 is just now able to climb up on it and rock, and she's 22mo.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#8 of 14 Old 11-04-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

The only thing I will splurge on are stacking rings or nesting bowls from speil & holz. not sure which yet. we don't have a lot of money and I need to get something that's wallet-friendly and functional that won't get tossed to the side. I'm leaning towards the bowls.
My son didn't play with his stacking rings at all. Except to continually pull the stick out of the base. Ours came from Nova Natural, I believe. I think all toddlers enjoy taking things out and putting them in, so, I would go with the nesting bowls.

#9 of 14 Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 AM

The christmas when they're around 1 was the HARDEST for me! We did a play kitchen so that all of our relatives who shop at mainstream stores could just get her accessories. And she's getting more kitchen stuff this year (when she'll be just over 2).

In hindsight, things that would have been nice
-simple waldorf doll (without clothes), dd fell in love with "babies" and I was able to find her one but I would have liked her to have a hand made on and didn't have time then to make her one
-blocks, build them up, knock 'em down
-musical instruments
-art supplies, like wax crayons, paint etc, even things like a paint smock, paper, paint brush make great things for relatives to get because you can get them at most art stores

She did play with her kitchen and I'm glad that we had it that early because she started getting into it around....17months? Really now she cooks every day for a very long time so we LOVE it!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#10 of 14 Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
My son didn't play with his stacking rings at all. Except to continually pull the stick out of the base. Ours came from Nova Natural, I believe. I think all toddlers enjoy taking things out and putting them in, so, I would go with the nesting bowls.
My son LOVED stacking rings, actually anything montessori/developmental at that age. But those particular nesting bowls don't get a lot of use although the four elements get tons of play. These however, are wonderfuly designed and can be used in or out of the bath. Daughter loves to carry the handle and they stack two ways which most don't. I'd buy the pretty stacker instead . http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ...romspielstabil (All of the spielstabil are ABS plastic and made in Germany. Good sand toys that won't break.)
#11 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
My son LOVED stacking rings, actually anything montessori/developmental at that age. But those particular nesting bowls don't get a lot of use although the four elements get tons of play. These however, are wonderfuly designed and can be used in or out of the bath. Daughter loves to carry the handle and they stack two ways which most don't. I'd buy the pretty stacker instead . http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ...romspielstabil (All of the spielstabil are ABS plastic and made in Germany. Good sand toys that won't break.)
We have a similar set that has holes in the bottom of each cup. Makes for a little more fun in the tub and would be great with sand, too. These get a lot of play in our house, too.

#12 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM

I was thinking about getting my 1 yr old a walker wagon from the wooden wagon or a haba doll pram.

I got my then 2yr old and 1 yr old the camden rose wooden kitchen from plaumba and they have played with it ever since. We got them the fridge to go with it last christmas. So I guess I don't think it is too young since my then 1yr old loved it but she mostly just took everything out of it and chewed on it.

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#13 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 PM

I think I would go more with developmental toys rather than imagination-based toys at this age...
I think I would just do some felted balls and playsilks, if it was me. Those were ds's favorite "waldorf-y" toys at that age.
Really, they just like rocks and acorns and little wooden bowls to put them in and take them out of... and getting into whatever mama is doing . Maybe a song book? You could get some ideas for songs to sing to your little one...
#14 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, our DD will be a few days shy of 1 year old on Christmas. So far on the list we're getting her some playsilks, Uncle Goose ABC blocks, and a Camden Rose doll from Palumba. I love all the handmade Waldorf dolls on Etsy but I just don't think she's really ready for those yet. At least the Camden doll is only $50, so if she ruins it I won't feel so bad

I really want to get her a play kitchen too, since she's always in the kitchen with me and wants to get into everything. Magic Cabin has a really adorable one on sale that I think we're going to order this week - http://www.magiccabin.com/product.asp?pcode=890

As far as family, we asked them for a wooden walker, some stacking toys, and mostly clothes. My dad and stepmom are very accepting and sensitive to our Waldorf-y approach to parenting - DH's mom, not so much. I'm expecting a boatload of plastic crap from her unfortunately

~ Sarah ~ Living the mountain life with DH Dan hug.gif & DD Lillian 1.6.10 energy.gifand DS Jack 10.22.11 babyboy.gif Trying to find time to sewmachine.gif!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page