Why are the waldorf school I call so rude? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 or my 3 lo's are at a montessori preschool. I was thinking about switching them to a waldorf school but the local one took me calling 6+ times calling(since August) and they said it just must not be meant to be
whatever. Then I called one in a different state(where we might move to) and I called them 3x until they called me back(took 2mos). I am really turned off at waldorf schools right now. They just don't seem friendly or what they have their act together. urgh! Are all waldorf schools like that? I really feel that waldorf schools are not meant for my lo's now.

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#2 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 PM

it depends on the time of year i guess I mean not that its an excuse for rudeness, the rudeness is unexcusable, but the not calling back...

At the waldorf school dd goes to there is an admissions person who is great and very ontop of it. I got calls back right away and every question answered promptly. Never any rudeness
but i have had that experience with some other schools, not particular to waldorf just in general different schools are different

there are all kinds of ceremonies and faires that come at certain times of year and can get super busy
#3 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 PM

The application process for attendance at any private school in our area is always completed by May for the year starting in September. By August, the enrollment is already closed. Maybe this is the problem?
#4 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 PM

the Waldorf schools around here are pretty exclusive and very hard to get into. Early Fall (you said you have been calling for 2 mouths right?) is the busy time of year. They have to follow up on late paper work, get the kinks out so to speak. Kids and faculty re-aquainting,etc. My son very small private school is just starting to hits its stride from a front office perspective

No excuse for rudeness but most likely not an active admission time. Have you checked the website for the next open house/visiting day? Sent an email to both the head of the school or head of admissions to ask for more information or set up a time to meet? Better yet stop in at the one closest to you.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#5 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think it is a a Waldorf thing. A lot of private schools are bad about returning phone calls "out of season" for admissions.
#6 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM

I have heard other people in my area complain about non-Waldorf independent schools, but my personal experience with the Waldorf school here has been very positive. Everyone there that I have contacted always call or email back within a timely manner. Their admissions person is very helpful!

Sorry you've had such bad experiences.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#7 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our experience was super-positive for "out of season" admissions. We were pretty desperate to move DS (see my other threads) and they were *amazing* about getting back in touch with us, setting up appointments, and getting the paperwork from DS' old school expedited.

At least here in Europe, Fall is a big time for Waldorf festivals -- Michaelmas, St. Maarten, etc -- so they could be occupied with that. It could be, too, that there are management problems (something Waldorf schools are known for, unfortunately) and the admin people aren't great but the school may be. I like the PP's advice about trying to go in person when there's a scheduled open house.

It could be that these schools are just crap. However, what I've learned from our school experience is that the admin and teachers can be great, but the school can still be cliquish, exclusive, and not a good fit. By the same token, the admin can be a mess, but the school can be great. If you are really interested in a Waldorf school, don't give up yet!
#8 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Did you try Detroit Waldorf in the city? They got me in for a tour when I lived in Corktown and everyone I talked to was nice and professional.

Ann Arbor Waldorf is the opposite of what you're describing in my experience, they actually called me a few times to see if I was still interested in enrolling my DD, unfortunately we just don't have the money for any private schooling right now
#9 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 PM

I don't think there is any excuse for rudeness, if you mean they were rude when you got to speak with them?

I've also found it can take multiple attempts to "get through" to admissions. I don't know why that is, either, but I just gave up on leaving messages and kept calling (not constantly. LOL. I mean a couple of times a day at different times) until I got a person. When I did get people, they were never rude at all.

I'm sorry your experience hasn't been positive. Something else you could try is checking the schools' calendar to see when they offer tours or Open Houses. The schools my children have attended hold these about once a month and all you do is call or email to be put on the list.
#10 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

It seems that the people who answer the phones are the rude ones I finally got to talk with the director of the school out of state and she was nice and helpful. She even gave me a name or a realtor that could help us find a rental house

lynsage, I didn't try the Detroit school it was the one in Oakland county that I called and talked with. The teacher was nice enough but no one else seemed to be nice that worked in the office.

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#11 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had fantastic responses from various Waldorf schools in various cities that I wanted to check out in case of an impending move.
sorry that the schools near you are not cooperating.

Decluttering 500/2010
#12 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsmom06 View Post
It seems that the people who answer the phones are the rude ones I finally got to talk with the director of the school out of state and she was nice and helpful. She even gave me a name or a realtor that could help us find a rental house

lynsage, I didn't try the Detroit school it was the one in Oakland county that I called and talked with. The teacher was nice enough but no one else seemed to be nice that worked in the office.
Just a thought to consider-

At our Waldorf school, the office phones were answered by parent volunteers, who would rotate the responsibilities. The school would just not be able to operate with out help from the parents who also ran the school store and filled it with hand crafts, worked on caring for the grounds, built and maintained the play equipment, etc. so you may have been talking to a parent working in the office, whose people skills were not up to a professional level. They may have even been a bit resentful of having been pressed into service, as I know I felt when I was finagled into fixing a class quilt project that had been botched from the start.

Many times the teachers would have to be assertive in asking for help from parents, just to make things work and run smoothly and this is the essence of Waldorf school, it's not a place where you just drop off your child like day care. At least that is my experience and both my partner and I learned to love this aspect.

I'm glad to hear that someone finally stepped up and was helpful to you.
copperfox likes this.
#13 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 AM

Yes, exactly what EV Lowi said. Our school is mostly parent run with only one (!) administrative person besides the director and certain busy times of year everyone is just simply stretched thin.
#14 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 AM

And with the same school, too! However, I got an explanation. Apparently they were between coordinators. I left message after message but I just kept calling and finally it worked out.
#15 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyali View Post
And with the same school, too! However, I got an explanation. Apparently they were between coordinators. I left message after message but I just kept calling and finally it worked out.
I guess in a way I am glad I wasn't the only one. It ended up being too late for me by the time I got a hold of them But it has worked out for the better since we will be moving in Jan. I am glad it worked out for you

#16 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Well, we were only trying to get into the parent- tot class, so that may be a whole different kettle of fish. Did you get your kids into a Waldorf school where you are moving to?
#17 of 24 Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM

Hey, ldsmom06!  Good to see you here!  smile.gif  I haven't had that experience here, but there are several Waldorf schools in the area and I think they are aware that if they don't make a good first impression, families will move on down the road to the next school.  Our school has an Admissions Director whose sole job is to connect with prospective families.

Can you walk in, introduce yourself and get an info packet once you move?  I have found that to be very effective.  For example, we stopped by Haleakala Waldorf when we were on Maui and they gave us tons of info, and even a tour, on the spot.  I had tried calling ahead but got their voicemail. I know phones and computers are part of running any school, but IME, when it comes to Waldorf schools, an in-person inquiry is probably going to be more effective.  Good luck!

#18 of 24 Old 11-12-2010, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben'sMama View Post

Hey, ldsmom06!  Good to see you here!  smile.gif  I haven't had that experience here, but there are several Waldorf schools in the area and I think they are aware that if they don't make a good first impression, families will move on down the road to the next school.  Our school has an Admissions Director whose sole job is to connect with prospective families.

Can you walk in, introduce yourself and get an info packet once you move?  I have found that to be very effective.  For example, we stopped by Haleakala Waldorf when we were on Maui and they gave us tons of info, and even a tour, on the spot.  I had tried calling ahead but got their voicemail. I know phones and computers are part of running any school, but IME, when it comes to Waldorf schools, an in-person inquiry is probably going to be more effective.  Good luck!

Totally off topic but how have you been? 

#19 of 24 Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsmom06 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben'sMama View Post

Totally off topic but how have you been? 

I'm doing great!  My private practice has really taken off, Bob and I are doing well, and both of my boys are loving their Waldorf School.  They've been going to Parent-Tot classes there since they were 6 months old, so it made for an easy transition to preschool and kindergarten.  Eben is in his first year of kindergarten and Eli is in his first year of preschool (July birthday, so he'll do 2 yrs. of PS).  How are you?  Hope you and yours are happy, healthy and well.  I think of you whenever I feel like no one around me understands how hard it is to have kids fewer than 16 months apart, and it makes me feel better !  :)

#20 of 24 Old 11-15-2010, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sorry, don't have time now to read this whole thread but wanted to throw in my .02

FWIW: our local Waldorf Kindergarten has a website, with a form to contact them. I filled it out and never heard back. I could not find an email address or phone number anywhere for them. It was only by lucky chance I met a mom whose DD goes there and she gave me the number and I was able to find out about their open house day (also not listed on their website!). I had to wonder how anyone finds out about this school. It really must be all word of mouth.

DH said he believes it's because Waldorf has a leaning away from technology so people are not as on top of it with calling and emailing and websites as they are in the rest of the mainstream world. Could be....????

Still, no excuse for being treated rudely. We were welcomed with open arms at our local Waldorf....once we were able to find a way to contact them, lol!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#21 of 24 Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 PM

I found the Waldorf School in Maui really informative and accomadating..Also, I hope it's not true of Marin Waldorf School in San Rafael California, I have never had anything buy kindness...The camp you are looking for is run by a retired teacher from SF Waldorf and it's called Hill of the Hawk in Big Sur.  The Lanier family runs it, it's fabulous.  My kids talk about all year until we go again and we've been going since they were 3 yo and now they are turning 7, yet their interest hasn't subsided!  It's worth it!!!

#22 of 24 Old 03-10-2012, 04:50 PM

That's really rude.  I don't care if they are busy, or hard to get into, or what, but it's highy unprofessional, and let's face it since we have to pay a pretty penny to go to one of the schools it pretty much is a business.

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#23 of 24 Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 AM

I prefer to email the schools and they always get back to me right away.

Most Waldorf schools are already full by the fall, so it's best to get your "foot in the door" early on.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#24 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM

I'm coming way late to this, but I've noticed the same thing.  They never respond to e-mails and have to be hounded by phone.  We were trying to attend the SE AWSNA conference and it was like pulling teeth to get info.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page