Soya candles - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We burn alot of candles in our home,during every meal. I can't afford beeswax candles all the time...So I burn regular candles...I'm concerned about toxins being burnt off so I would prefer natural candles. Can I make soya candles at home? Are they easy to make? Or would it be cheaper to make my own beeswax candles?

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#2 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

probably cheaper to make bees wax if you buy the wax in bulk. also, try to buy the most yellow-gold you can, as that is generally less expensive, has more scent, and--ultimately--cleaner for the air/environment.
#3 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 PM

I have never worked with soy so I am not sure how easy it is... but I wanted to say that we re-use our beeswax over and over again to economize. I pour the candles into large mouthed tea cups or something like that and then scrape them out and re-melt when the candle is spent. I am forever scraping up bits of dripped beeswax from here and there and saving it. Also melting and re-making our ornaments too.

Let us know what you end up using and how it goes!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#4 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
probably cheaper to make bees wax if you buy the wax in bulk. also, try to buy the most yellow-gold you can, as that is generally less expensive, has more scent, and--ultimately--cleaner for the air/environment.
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look around online and see what i can find in the UK!

#5 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
I have never worked with soy so I am not sure how easy it is... but I wanted to say that we re-use our beeswax over and over again to economize. I pour the candles into large mouthed tea cups or something like that and then scrape them out and re-melt when the candle is spent. I am forever scraping up bits of dripped beeswax from here and there and saving it. Also melting and re-making our ornaments too.

Let us know what you end up using and how it goes!
thank you boatbaby for letting me know about being able to reuse beeswax, I honestly had no idea That is such a useful tip. I'll let you know how I get on!

#6 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

we definitely re-use ours too. most of it does not evaporate.
#7 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look around online and see what i can find in the UK!
I have bought beeswax from here before - http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store...p-1-c-279.html. They are in West Sussex. HTH!
#8 of 8 Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMum View Post
I have bought beeswax from here before - http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store...p-1-c-279.html. They are in West Sussex. HTH!
Thanks so much for that link GranolaMum, I'm going to order some!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page