Soya candles - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > Soya candles
mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 03:27 PM 11-07-2010
We burn alot of candles in our home,during every meal. I can't afford beeswax candles all the time...So I burn regular candles...I'm concerned about toxins being burnt off so I would prefer natural candles. Can I make soya candles at home? Are they easy to make? Or would it be cheaper to make my own beeswax candles?

accountclosed3's Avatar accountclosed3 10:49 PM 11-07-2010
probably cheaper to make bees wax if you buy the wax in bulk. also, try to buy the most yellow-gold you can, as that is generally less expensive, has more scent, and--ultimately--cleaner for the air/environment.
boatbaby's Avatar boatbaby 12:03 AM 11-08-2010
I have never worked with soy so I am not sure how easy it is... but I wanted to say that we re-use our beeswax over and over again to economize. I pour the candles into large mouthed tea cups or something like that and then scrape them out and re-melt when the candle is spent. I am forever scraping up bits of dripped beeswax from here and there and saving it. Also melting and re-making our ornaments too.

Let us know what you end up using and how it goes!
mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 04:03 PM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
probably cheaper to make bees wax if you buy the wax in bulk. also, try to buy the most yellow-gold you can, as that is generally less expensive, has more scent, and--ultimately--cleaner for the air/environment.
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look around online and see what i can find in the UK!
mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 04:05 PM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
I have never worked with soy so I am not sure how easy it is... but I wanted to say that we re-use our beeswax over and over again to economize. I pour the candles into large mouthed tea cups or something like that and then scrape them out and re-melt when the candle is spent. I am forever scraping up bits of dripped beeswax from here and there and saving it. Also melting and re-making our ornaments too.

Let us know what you end up using and how it goes!
thank you boatbaby for letting me know about being able to reuse beeswax, I honestly had no idea That is such a useful tip. I'll let you know how I get on!
accountclosed3's Avatar accountclosed3 06:13 PM 11-08-2010
we definitely re-use ours too. most of it does not evaporate.
GranolaMum's Avatar GranolaMum 11:22 PM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look around online and see what i can find in the UK!
I have bought beeswax from here before - http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store...p-1-c-279.html. They are in West Sussex. HTH!
mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 09:37 AM 11-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMum View Post
I have bought beeswax from here before - http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store...p-1-c-279.html. They are in West Sussex. HTH!
Thanks so much for that link GranolaMum, I'm going to order some!
Up