Advent, religious link? - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > Advent, religious link?
whoami's Avatar whoami 04:18 PM 11-18-2010

The way waldorf schools celebrate advent really speaks to me. I am thinking we will try celebrating the four week festival of advent this year as a way to lead up to christmas and the solstice. I like how they recognize and celebrate the strength and beauty of all four of the kingdoms of the natural world, paying tribute to the mineral world, plant kingdom, animals. and human beings. There doesn't seem to be so much of a focus on the birth or christ, but there's something spiritual there that we appreciate.

My understanding is advent is traditionally observed by catholics. What's the link with the way waldorf approaches it? Is is prechristian/pagan? Also, what's up with the advent spiral? Is that lighted on Christmas eve, or each day starting from December 1 as like an alternative to the advent calendar?

nanette0269's Avatar nanette0269 07:14 PM 11-18-2010
nanette0269's Avatar nanette0269 07:22 PM 11-18-2010
MamaScout's Avatar MamaScout 09:42 AM 11-19-2010

Go check out the blog UncommonGrace.  She has lots of beautiful stuff about advent from a Waldorf perspective.

whoami's Avatar whoami 10:10 AM 11-19-2010

Thanks I'll try and get some reading in this afternoon. We don't identify with any religion but we are spiritual and I think this might work for us.

radish's Avatar radish 01:48 PM 11-27-2010

thanks for the links - very helpful :)

i would also like to know more about the waldorf interpretations.

whoami's Avatar whoami 07:29 PM 11-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post

thanks for the links - very helpful :)

i would also like to know more about the waldorf interpretations.

I came across the below site while doing more reading. My head is spinning now...

http://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/christmas

Up