Ostheimer verus Holztiger Farm Animals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For my DD's birthday next year, I'm interested in getting one of the Maxim large barn/stables with some wooden animals. 

Is Ostheimer worth the higher price?  Seems like the Holztiger animals are considerably cheaper, especially since they can be purchased for around $10 on amazon.

Pros and cons of each please?

Thanks!

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#2 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 AM

I'm really interested to know what others say. I just purchased some Ostheimer animals from the wooden wagon but haven't received them yet. I've never seen either in person but I went with the Ostheimer because they seemed 'softer', the colors and features were less harsh. I never thought to check amazon for holziger figures - good to know!

I am confused about one thing with ostheimer figures. The company website as different pictures than the wooden wagon. I'm really hoping what I get are the same as the wooden wagon pictures. They may have changed the styles of some of the animals, if they did I'm not sure it was for the better.

An example:

the wooden wagon ox:

http://thewoodenwagon.com/woodentoy/ostheimer-farm/FOS11021.html

the ostheimer website ox:

http://www.ostheimertoys.com/shop/farm-animals/cow-pig/ox-brown-11021.html

Both are art number 11021 but they look very different. 

#3 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

OK, here is a US woman who makes Ostheimer-type animals...for the price point, I may just have to buy these!

http://hyenacart.com/annemozeallwoodtoys/mt/147/15248/Farmer-Wife-and-Barn-Animal-wooden-toy-set

DD5, DS3...Montessori since 8/2010
Bradenton, Florida
#4 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanette0269 View Post

OK, here is a US woman who makes Ostheimer-type animals...for the price point, I may just have to buy these!

http://hyenacart.com/annemozeallwoodtoys/mt/147/15248/Farmer-Wife-and-Barn-Animal-wooden-toy-set

Those are wonderful and inexpensive!

#5 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

We have a mix of types.  Homemade by me (cheesy, but hey, I made 'em!).  Homemade from a few different etsy and hyena sellers...super cute!  Kinderkram -- chips very easilly!  Holztiger and Ostheimer.  (And Buntspechte for a special treat for ME!)  The Holztiger are a different style, but they're very sturdy and DS loves them!  The Ostheimers are beautiful and sturdy as well.  *I* really prefer the Ostheimer people of all of them and the Holztiger animals.  (DS doesn't care either way...he just likes having horses!)  Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the pink mane DS drew on his Ostheimer knight's horse would have washed right off a Holz horse because of the different finish!!  (The knight's horse is the only exception to the Holz animals preference simply because we liked the Ostheimer knight the best.)   Our Holztiger animals look brand new, while the Ostheimer ones show some wear and tear--which doesn't bother us any.

It's really personal opinion.  And the Holz ones are very high quality and sturdy for little hands.  Nothing at all wrong with them!!  And there are lots are really talented crafters on etsy!  Some of our favorites are etsy-made through craft swaps here on MDC!

After reading this message, we clearly have TOO MANY TOYS.  ;)  But hey, they all fit in one basket, so maybe it just sounds worse than it is?  I hope! 

#6 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM

We have all Holztiger and my son loves them. They are super sturdy - we started giving him the animals initially around one and half and he would bang them around pretty hard and the only casualty was one chipped pig ear. We have since added many more - an entire farm's worth of animals, dinosaurs, safari animals, an assortment of trees. They are affordable and stand up to a lot of my now two-and-a-half year old's creative play.  He drew on a cow with stockmar crayon and it washed right off.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#7 of 7 Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 AM

If anyone has a Kinderkram Snow Queen figurine they'd be willing to sell/donate/trade etc. OR you know where to find one, as they are now discontinued, please please let me know

Dont care about the condition.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page