Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Waldorf Kindergarten (1) in Basel, Switzerland.JPG

hideaway area.jpg

4235297113_74b8896695.jpg

I'd love to do something like this and hang poles and silks or fabric from the ceiling. Anyone do this at home? My son saw me looking at the first picture and said it was beautiful. I love the softness of it and would love to recreate something similar.  

#2 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM

I love the look as well- SO beautiful and cozy and dreamy. What child would not love a spot like this? I have been eyeing the 2nd photo for a while now- and it seems like a very easy to achieve set-up. Ceiling hooks, dowels, rope, silks.... Good luck, and please post photos if you do it!

#3 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The reality is they get dusty. Dust is bad for little people and many asthmatic adults. Unless you have an easy pulley system to get them up and down into the wash three or four times a year... it's not worth the bother.

#4 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 PM

We did something kind of like that third picture in dd's room when she was a baby (and didn't actually spend much time in there, but it was still pretty!). We have exposed beams in our old house with little track lights tucked along the less visible side of one big beam. So we tacked silks to the beam and let them drape slightly before tacking them up on the ceiling a few feet away. So they hung down below the track lights and it looked so warm and lovely. They were easy to take down if we neede to wash them, but I don't remember actually ever doing that. They were like that for a couple years and then we took them down when we rearranged the room and then dd could play with them.

#5 of 13 Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 PM

The third photo reminds me of some of the decor we had at the reception for our wedding. They put sheer fabric coming down from the ceiling like that with lights behind them. It was beautiful.

joy.giflurk.gif

#6 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 PM

Very pretty! I think it'd be cool to have a reading spot that was in a silk tent like the second picture. I wish I could see how someone else would do it in my space :). Our home is much smaller and not airy feeling at all. Not inspiring at the moment. The house in the first picture has a ton of play stands! I wish we had all those!

#7 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyma View Post

The house in the first picture has a ton of play stands! I wish we had all those!

I think that's actually in a school, but I would love to have that much free space!

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#8 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 PM

We have one playstand w/ canopy & the way I have it set up right now, the silk hangs over the canopy & then up to our (empty) curtain rods.  I have it clipped there w/ play clips.  Works v well.  I will take a pic sometime.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#9 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 PM

we did something like this too. i used saris from the thrift store rather than buying playsilks because it was so much less expensive.

eh. who needs a signature?
#10 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Pics?  Sheepish.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

we did something like this too. i used saris from the thrift store rather than buying playsilks because it was so much less expensive.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#11 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 PM

it was in our old house before we moved. i just started grad school and haven't had time to get them set up.

the saris we used were 1- orange, red, green and gold thread about 25' long. i pinned it on two sides and at the top so it was like an open tent and 2- light blue, purple, and these blue and gold beaded areas about 15' long. i used fishing line to suspend each of the corners and the middle of one side from the ceiling, and then tacks to hold the other side to the wall. this one was more of a flat covering with a tail over one side. i used it for over my ds's bed and then for the kitchen space.

my mom lives in the bay area and we got the saris on a trip to visit her. it was about $9-$10 total. i think one was $5 and the other was $4 or $5.

eh. who needs a signature?
#12 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

it was in our old house before we moved. i just started grad school and haven't had time to get them set up.

the saris we used were 1- orange, red, green and gold thread about 25' long. i pinned it on two sides and at the top so it was like an open tent and 2- light blue, purple, and these blue and gold beaded areas about 15' long. i used fishing line to suspend each of the corners and the middle of one side from the ceiling, and then tacks to hold the other side to the wall. this one was more of a flat covering with a tail over one side. i used it for over my ds's bed and then for the kitchen space.

my mom lives in the bay area and we got the saris on a trip to visit her. it was about $9-$10 total. i think one was $5 and the other was $4 or $5.

Sounds amazing, magical, and spectacular!!! My kids play with hand-me-down saris like silks too, and they are so pretty!

#13 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 PM

Oh wow, I'm in love. Where do you get silks like that?!?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page