Christmas gifts - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > Christmas gifts
mommariffic's Avatar mommariffic 09:01 AM 12-14-2010

I know there may have been numerous threads, but I can't help myself!

What have you gotten in terms of gifts for the holidays, if you celebrate? Specifically stocking stuffers :)

I've gotten the babe a flat wool teddy bear, and his stocking will have wooden teethers. He has no idea it's Christmas, so I'm going to roll with that, and he doesn't need much. I've asked for some wool socks/slippers, and some of those net feeders for the holiday's since he's starting to love bananas a bit much.

M DD is getting:

Wooden castle & figures

Dress up things (pirate, fairy wings, felted wand)

Art box

Stocking stuffers have me stumped! I got her that Piggy toe polish because she's a tad bit girly ;) and some felted food for her kitchen.

What will your relatives get the kids if they do presents?

And my final question of the day: do you do Playmobil? I know that Waldorf is mostly no plastic (we aren't 100%) and DD loves them dearly, and has a few smaller sets.

Okay phew, merry holidays everyone!

WindyCityMom's Avatar WindyCityMom 10:46 AM 12-14-2010

For us, we kind of got stuff here and there as we found good deals on it. 

DD1 (turning 3 the 27th, actually)-

Stocking: It was crayons, but she managed to lose all of her crayons one day (really, we couldn't find them anywhere) so I ended up giving them to her (she takes her coloring vvery serioulsy, haha).  Also, we have two Holtziger figures to add to her collection (which consists only of a bear, lol).

DD2 (turning 1 the 22nd)- playsilks and felted wool balls.  Made/dyed by me.

In terms of gifts, they're both getting blocks and a kitchen that I had saved up for.  DD1 is getting a few things- food (because her old stuff was questionable and DD1 had high lead levels) and a toy train as she requested from Santa.  DD2 is getting nesting bowls and yep, you guessed it- more playsilks.

If relatives ask me what they should get, I point them in the direction of a local toy store where they sell plan toys dollhouse stuff for about $20/set.  It's a reasonable price and it's a really cute shop.  I haven't actually had anyone GO there before, but Christmas/birthdays arent' here yet so we shall see!

I generally don't do plastic because it just icks me out but I'm not opposed to it.  I just don't like it- personal preference. 

honeybunmom's Avatar honeybunmom 12:26 PM 12-14-2010

My children are 5 years (dd) and 20 mos (ds) old.  In their stockings, they will each get an orange and an apple, wooden kazoo (from A Toy Garden and I will probably regret this, LOL!), a little chalk board (which I realize ds probably won't use for a while), an old fashioned candy cane (with real peppermint oil!) and they'll each get a book.  For dd it's a book for making shadow puppets - this one.  And a sing-along book for ds - this one.  There will also be some cholatey goodness in there, but I haven't yet decided just what it'll be.

As for relatives. . .

from my Mom, for dd - American Girl Doll (I had been highly opposed, but, I'm over it.  I've made and purchased Waldorf dolls for dd and she's been gifted more mainstream dolls and, on average, the more mainstream get more play . . . although she will sleep with the doll I made); notebook for an adult to record the stories dd comes up with; Egglings and Clementine Art's natural modeling dough

for ds - tool trolley and not sure what else

from Godmother:  for dd - beeswax candle kit and a number of child sized cooking/baking accessories from Small Hands - a Montessori site

for ds - a mini drum and toy electric tools (he cries and screams for dh's power drills!)

from my dad - for dd - a pillow pet type thing and for ds a stuffed bear with a night time prayer somewhere on it.

Not sure what is coming from my brothers.  My younger brother is very creative and always appropriate and doesn't ask for suggestions.  My older brother asks for suggestions and takes them well!  And whatever comes from dh's family will be a Toys 'R Us blinking, flashing, electronic machine.  Complete with warranty!

RollerCoasterMama's Avatar RollerCoasterMama 12:55 PM 12-14-2010

I'm trying hard to be good!  But I'm afraid when I look in the gift box there will be a few more things than I remember!  I've been shopping during the year as good deals come up. 

What I know about:

From me:

A fabric "treasure chest" from Ikea to use for dress-up stuff.  (The playsilk basket is overflowing!)

A few dress-up things:  cloak, pirate hat and patch, super-hero mask.

A book about knights

A customized magnetic chore chart I found on etsy.  So cute!  And she makes customized chore magnets so the chart grows with the child.  I think I need one too!!

From Santa:

Ostheimer black knight and horse

Breyer folding wooden fence

(He's been asking Santa for both since February!)

XH just sent me a bag of stocking-stuffer type freebies he got on base from their family support person.  I cringed opening it, because I didn't want to fill the stocking with random dollor-store stuff after planning so carefully, but didn't want to deny him input into the holiday.  It's not too bad...play-dough, a book, a puzzle and a couple of little airplanes. 

From my sister:

A neat stool with a name-puzzle attatched.

From Grandma:

The only thing I know of for sure is cowboy boots.  She may be the hit of Christmas with those!!  My little horse-boy is going to be SO EXCITED!!  We've been talking lately that I'll try to get him riding lessons when he's a little older, and he was adament that he'd need boots first.  :)  Happy boy!

That's all I know of for sure.  The fun thing we're doing this year, is I've brought him into the family tradition of teasing.  We've been teasing him that he's getting socks for Christmas.  He thought it was funny and started "calling" Grandma and Santa to tell them to bring me socks too.  My mom said she'd put socks under the tree for him, but got worried he wouldn't get it.  So I'm really making sure he gets it.  He helped me pick out LOVELY Santa sock-slippers to give Grandma.  :)  He'll get it and he's having a blast with the joke! 

Astrid1024's Avatar Astrid1024 01:13 PM 12-14-2010

I have a two year old DS. He is old enough to understand Santa this year and so he has asked and is getting two main presents, both from Santa. A doll and a dump truck. We got him a heavy baby from Dream Pixie Dolls and a dump truck to add to his collection of wooden trucks from Community Playthings.

For stocking stuffers he is getting:

From the Montessori site For Small Hands:

A set of metal and wood sand tools.

A metal bucket to accompany the sand tools from the same site.

A crumb sweeping set.

From Down to Earth Toys:

A Lyra crayon/thick pencil sharpener for his stockmar crayons.

A top

A wooden tile memory game.

The book Contemplating your Belly Button - it's great because it explains what the belly button is in terms of fetal growth without specifying the location of birth. We are homebirthers and I am irked by the lack of non-specific and homebirth references in birth material and books for small children.

From my in-laws, he is getting from Nova Naturals:

A balaclava

A set of these interlock blocks to round out a set of tree blocks we already have

He'll probably get some odds and ends from my brother and sister. They are pretty good about observing no plastic, no batteries, no licensed toys...

monkeyma's Avatar monkeyma 03:55 PM 12-14-2010

15 month old DS is getting playsilks, a wooden car track, and two little drums.  I'm working on some knit stocking stuffers, too.

JudiAU's Avatar JudiAU 04:07 PM 12-14-2010

We celebrate Hannakah and a non-religous Christmas. Art-Reading-Physical Play-Indoor Play

For Hannakah:

16m DD got a little people mover from A Toy Garden that she loves. A playsilk everyone is still trying to figure out. A few felted balls 2 of which I made and one of which I bought.  She also got a Kathy Kruse doll from MIL that is lovely, hugely expensive, and that MIL insists that she plays with now. (Who buys a $177 doll for a 16m "Well you said natural toys.") Yikes!

3.5 DS got the pencil/snake and lyra pencils from Nova (loves), duplo fire truck (loves), and a new modern train from Plan Toys (loves). MIL regifted a junky scooter and said she would buy a stacking rainbow and it was out of stock and but will "forget" to buy it later. Also, several playmobil sets that are wildly inapprorpiate age-wise and had to be put away.

For Christmas:

DD is getting a little pair of kitty cymbals which she will probably love, an upcycled wool hat that I bought at a craft fair, and if I get my act together, a selection of felted animals. Grandma is getting her an Ittalitrike push scooter and auntie is getting her the Nova stroller and a little soft baby from A Toy Garden. 2-3 books

DS is getting a very cool scooter/balance bike (expensive but I am skeptical because MIC and so it may go back), and a small duplo train, some art supplies for his stocking. Grandma is getting him a fancy Plan Toys train set to add to his collection (got online at a steal of a price), and Auntiie is buying him the painting board/stand and watercolor holders from Nova. We are going to make a felted playmat together with the "wools".  I want one other thing that is more natural so I am considering some other type of wood block maybed colored or striped wood. 2-3 books

Still debating a castle or dollhouse, depending on scooter decision.

Yikes, in the end it looks like a lot and I was trying to be minimal. We open presents throughout the week so that everything gets its due.

mrsmischief's Avatar mrsmischief 04:39 PM 12-14-2010

From us:

*a wooden outer space playset, phases of the moon puzzle, and personalized wooden star ornament from justhatched on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/people/justhatched?ref=ls_profile

*several children's books about astronomy and outer space

*an art caddy full of various Waldorf art supplies, including 'refills' of modeling beeswax, Stockmar paints, and Lyra pencils for our learning room

*a box of winter books to be added to our collection

*a hand knit sweater

*a basket of goodies to be added to the nature study backpack including pocket size manuals about mammals and birds in our new state, felt hand warmers, and a compass

From Santa:

*a wooden dollhouse, doll family, and all of the furnishings (We bought a sheet of fake snow, a set of wee Christmas wreaths & bottle brush trees, and dollhouse Christmas lights to decorate the house for Christmas morning)

*a mama sewn owl pillow (an alternative to a pillow pet)

*daddy made walking blocks

*a paint your own wooden sleigh and reindeer craft kit

*daddy made doll swing

Stocking:

*a daddy made knitting knobby

*mama sewn balsam squirrel

*a set of woolen mittens and a hat from etsy: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/39649628

*wool roving and wool yarn

* homemade peppermint marshmallows and cocoa mix

*a pottery mug

*Make-Your-Own Snowman Kit from Hearthsong: http://www.hearthsong.com/Make-Your-Own-Snowman-World_p3651.html

*a mama made felt reindeer ear headband

* paperwhite bulbs

*a stamped moleskin journal and story dice as inspired by the lovely mamaroots

*personalized twig pencils made by a friend

*a Lindt chocolate Santa

*a "real" candy cane from a local candy store

*homemade candied orange peel

elus0814's Avatar elus0814 07:46 PM 12-14-2010

Everything is from us because my inlaws, whom we celebrate Christmas with, give them all a bunch of 'from santa' things.

I don't think I can separate what is for which child since many things will simply be 'to: the kids'. We have 6yo and 3mo old daughters and 4yo (nearly 5) and 20mo old sons. We're redoing our playroom to be mostly wooden toys so this is more than we normally would give them. 

metal dust pan with wooden brush from nova

anna's dollhouse from nova

evi dollhouse doll family from blueberry forest

plan toys dollhouse furniture purchased on amazon

child size broom from palumba

knitting towers and yarn from nova

stockmar watercolors from palumba

a bike for each of the older two from a local bike shop

a waldorf doll from palumba

two camden rose dolls from palumba

a wooden ironing board from palumba

a baseball glove and ball from sporting good store

a hockey stick and puck from sporting goods store

a rattle from palumba

an ornament from hallmark

real motorola walkie talkies purchased on amazon

a book for each of them

metal pots set from nova

metal tea set from nova

metal wash basin from nova

felted balls kit from nova

wooden fire tunnel stacker purchased from nova

a made-by-me peter pan costume 

sarah's silks silk butterfly wings purchased on amazon

stockmar crayons supplemental colors purchased on a toy garden

11 osthehimer animals purchased on the wooden wagon (ox, cow, drinking calf, giraffe, cat, sled dog, horse, lamb, and three other that I can't recall)

from other people that we're sure they're getting:

lego sets

plan toy roller

several movies

car seat

play cash register

camden rose fridge to go with their kitchen set 

books, including a children's dictionary

wikki sticks

plan toys hammer balls set

boogiemonster's Avatar boogiemonster 08:41 PM 12-14-2010

Stocking stuffers for Miss Three and Miss Five:

-a handmade animal, one is getting a knitted guinea pig, the other a TBD needle-felted critter

-fancy almonds

-fruit-sweetened candy

-modeling beeswax

-wool socks

-something chocolate-y and an orange may also find their way in there...

Tashakittie's Avatar Tashakittie 10:07 PM 12-14-2010

We are putting art supplies, stickers, a natural-gourmet candy cane, smash-able geodes, and a hardwood block for music making into our 4 year old's stocking. Into the 1 year-old's stocking, probably some kind of trinket-ty thing from michaels, maybe some large, smooth seashells, and some kind of small yummy chocolatey treat like a Lake Champlain peppermint chocolate bar... DS 4 is so into music, so he will be receiving from santa a lovely wooden drum to add to his collection, a xylophone, and we are building him a treehouse for his gnomes. Oh, and a new football and soccer ball because we play outside plenty. For the DS who is 1, we got him a big rainbow stacker, I'm making/ sewing a magnetic fishing game set for him, and maybe a ball for outside. So, that is it, and we are so very excited for Christmas! 

NinaUk's Avatar NinaUk 05:48 AM 12-15-2010

Mommariffic, what flat wool teddy bear are you getting your lo? I have been looking at making/or buying something like this!

JudiAU's Avatar JudiAU 10:04 AM 12-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashakittie View Post

We are putting art supplies, stickers, a natural-gourmet candy cane, smash-able geodes, and a hardwood block for music making into our 4 year old's stocking. Into the 1 year-old's stocking, probably some kind of trinket-ty thing from michaels, maybe some large, smooth seashells, and some kind of small yummy chocolatey treat like a Lake Champlain peppermint chocolate bar... DS 4 is so into music, so he will be receiving from santa a lovely wooden drum to add to his collection, a xylophone, and we are building him a treehouse for his gnomes. Oh, and a new football and soccer ball because we play outside plenty. For the DS who is 1, we got him a big rainbow stacker, I'm making/ sewing a magnetic fishing game set for him, and maybe a ball for outside. So, that is it, and we are so very excited for Christmas! 

Tashakittie-- is the extra large Grimms rainbow stacker? Where did you find one in stock? I've looked everywhere.

Tashakittie's Avatar Tashakittie 09:45 PM 12-16-2010

Hi JudiAU, yes the extra large Grimms stacker. I got it from Fine Wooden Toys, and I ordered it last weekend. And if you access the site on its own, not from Amazon, the price is $71 and change. I just looked at their site, and it looks like its been taken off the site. Maybe call or email them, perhaps there are still some in inventory, or maybe they can let you know when more are coming in. Last year, I was able to get a few things from Wooden Wagon that were not on the site, yet they had in inventory. HTH!!!!!

nanette0269's Avatar nanette0269 04:07 AM 12-17-2010

maybe not as large as you would like, but we ordered this one:

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/40195717

dogretro's Avatar dogretro 11:31 AM 12-19-2010

I like to keep the stockings super simple b/c I remember my mom saying that she and my dad could easily spend $100 just filling my stocking!!  I keep it the same every year: One stuffed animal to sit at the top and peek out, pack of toothbrushes from the dollar store, a handful of Christmas-wrapped chocolates, and maybe one other small toy.

DD1: Cookie Monster plush, toothbrushes, candies, and a small plastic horn that she can toot.

DD2: Boyd's Bears plush, her first real toothbrushes :D, and a bag of Gerber yogurt puffs (her favourite!).

Up