please help me choose a dollhouse - quick response is all I need.... thank you! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I placed a large order from nova natural for Christmas. UPS lost the package but without enough time to replace it before we leave to head out of town I went out and bought replacements for the toys in the order at a local natural toy shop. I don't think nova should lose business from UPS's mistake so I'm going to get a dollhouse with the money from the order. I can't decide which one. Please don't take the cost into consideration, I'd rather get the best one for our needs than worry about the price. It's for a six year old girl and almost five year old boy and should last long enough for our younger boy and girl to use as well. It will likely see as solid 8-10 years of continuous use. We have plenty of room for either one.

Dollhouse #1

Seri's dollhouse

Pros: open and easy to get dolls and furniture in and out, classic design, two staircases, doesn't take up much floor space

Cons: could be top heavy and easy for our toddler to tip over and could be dangerous when the baby starts pulling herself up on it, kids have to sit next to each other to play and could 'cross paths' which could cause bickering, there are lots of rooms which would need lots of furniture (we only have a few items now), there is no door (ok, not a big deal), would likely not ever be viewed by the kids as anything other than a regular dollhouse, takes up wall space

media.nl.jpeg

Dollhouse #2

Anna's dollhouse

Pros: more attractive, two kids could play at once on opposite sides, has a door, not as much furniture would be needed, could be seen as more than just a regular house, doesn't take up wall space

Cons: rooms don't seem as open, no stairs going from second to third floors, takes up floor space

media-1.nl.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

With multiple kids, I'd go with #2 for sure!  :) 

Old 12-14-2010, 12:37 PM

ps.  The lack of stairs doesn't seem to bug my son.  And both are super sturdy.  I have the barn from the same company and it's solid as a brick house.  My son used to stand on the loft when he was in the monkey climbing stage! 

Either dollhouse is absolutely lovely and perfect, so you could flip a coin and make the right decision!!  :-D  Have fun!!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

ps.  The lack of stairs doesn't seem to bug my son.  And both are super sturdy.  I have the barn from the same company and it's solid as a brick house.  My son used to stand on the loft when he was in the monkey climbing stage! 

Either dollhouse is absolutely lovely and perfect, so you could flip a coin and make the right decision!!  :-D  Have fun!!

Thanks! One of big concerns was the lack of stairs but thinking about it now my childhood dollhouse didn't have then either. 

I keep going back and fourth. I like the larger one but I'm wondering if it will take up too much floor space. The play area side of the living room is 25'x10' but it would still take up a lot of room. The kids like the open space for their train set.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MIL bought Anna's dollhouse for my children this year.  The BIG selling point for us over Seri's was the ability of multiple children to play from 2 sides.  We have 4 children w/ #5 on the way and they're the type to ALL play the same thing at the same time.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Thanks! One of big concerns was the lack of stairs but thinking about it now my childhood dollhouse didn't have then either. 

My childhood one didn't either up to the attic.  I remember building an elevator for it when I was 11 or so.  :P  Our Elves and Angels barn came with a big ladder, but it was rarely used with the barn.  And when I built a dollhouse for DS, I thought about doing stairs, but just ended up skipping it for the sake of simplicity (and lack of wood-working skills!).  DS doesn't mind at all.  The people, horses, dinosaurs, motorcycles, etc...all just seem to hop to the upstairs with no worries.  Although I think in recent months, the kitten has played with the dollhouse more than the child!  :-D 

I always said that if I had more than one, the more open sided dollhouse would be the way to go.  You could put it against the wall when it wasn't in play.  I think it's a little more open-ended too.  You can leave a few pieces of furniture for the kids and no one room says "kitchen" "bedroom", etc.  They'll adjust it to suit their needs and it can be house, barn, castle, etc. 

Old 12-14-2010, 01:46 PM

#2 . my kids have it and play simultaneously

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

Old 12-15-2010, 08:41 PM

Well DD is getting #1 for Christmas, so I'm biased.  I like that it can sit against a wall and still see full play. If I had a lot of space I could see preferring #2.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 PM

So I tried to edit my post, but it doesn't seem to work...

I wanted to add that if I had two children so close in age I could also see the merits of #2.  Having said that, there is #1, or a very close facsimile in Nursery and Kindergarten classrooms at school so I am guessing multiple kids must figure out some way to use it.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 PM

def no. 2, especially with more than one child and good for visiting children too. Nearly a treehouse which is what I was thinking of for my sons, but I couldn't find one online that would deliver to Australia so had given up, I might just change my mind and get this one!! (Not for Christmas NO TIME!!!! OUCH!)

I reckon more open ended - not just a house. Why not make a pulley system or rope ladder or both for the upper floors?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

We went with #2. I'm glad. We have the space and I found a plan toys staircase from our old chalet dollhouse (it broke) so we'll just use that to get the dolls to the third floor. 

Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 PM

Ds had this one, and we really liked it. It held up well to his play, but my little one destroyed it in her toddler phase. Having said that, my friend had the same one through two children without problem.

http://www.boxwoodlanetoys.com/Tumble_Tree_House_Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrebird View Post

def no. 2, especially with more than one child and good for visiting children too. Nearly a treehouse which is what I was thinking of for my sons, but I couldn't find one online that would deliver to Australia so had given up, I might just change my mind and get this one!! (Not for Christmas NO TIME!!!! OUCH!)

I reckon more open ended - not just a house. Why not make a pulley system or rope ladder or both for the upper floors?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 PM

I always said I wanted to go with #1 for my daughter but the more I see #2 I want that one instead. I'm still on the fence. My daughter is only 3 and I was planning on getting it for her 4th birthday. I still have time. I'm sure that you'll end up loving either one of them.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM

I just got Anna's Dollhouse (#2) for my 2 DDs, even though DD2 is only 8mo, because they'll both be able to use it at the same time from opposite sides. That said, I really wanted to get the castle & barn from Nova Natural, but funds only allowed those from Melissa & Doug. I guess I have plenty of time to upgrade in the next few years if the M&D products don't work out.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
Old 12-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfox View Post

I just got Anna's Dollhouse (#2) for my 2 DDs, even though DD2 is only 8mo, because they'll both be able to use it at the same time from opposite sides. That said, I really wanted to get the castle & barn from Nova Natural, but funds only allowed those from Melissa & Doug. I guess I have plenty of time to upgrade in the next few years if the M&D products don't work out.

This BARN FROM ETSY is very similar to the Nova one but for 100+ less $$. It's on our wish list  :) I also got a wonderful castle from MamaKopp on etsy for WAY less than Wooden Wagon or Nova and just as gorgeous/ versitile.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!

User Tag List