Need to use my Heavy Baby Doll kit... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I have had a Heavy Baby Doll kit and need some support on getting going with it. I want to have it for DD when the new baby arrives in a month (give or take). Has anyone done this? Can you offer support? Experience? 

This feels like a daunting task and clearly, I need support :). 

TIA!

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#2 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 AM

Bumping this for you.

I've not made a weighted doll, just a regular Waldorf one.  What are you concerns?  Did you order a kit from Dream Pixie? 

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#3 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 AM

I know that I'm no help right now, but I just ordered a kit from Dream  Pixie yesterday!! I'm really excited!

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#4 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I actually ordered one from Joy's Waldorf Dolls...if that tells you anything as to how long this kit has been in my home and unused, lol.

My concern...I am not a good pattern follower, direction follower, recipe follower. I tend to just make things up as I go and I am wondering how that will work out with this. 

Also, I am in my final weeks of pregnancy and have a full plate already...which does not help me. I make mistakes under pressure, eek.

#5 of 7 Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM

In my experience, the pattern for that style of doll was easy to follow.  Cut out the pieces, sew them up according to instruction, stuff and so forth.  The one part that needs attention to detail the most is the creation of the head.  Tthe doll making needles are absolutely necessary for making the face.  Weir Dolls has them and they are very inexpensive.  Do you know someone that might like to help you sew it? 

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#6 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 PM

I have made heavy babies before. They are really quite simple, since the body is just a sack. I kind of just made it up as I went along, using 4 lbs of beans per doll. Basically, what I did was sew a rectangular sack, a little smaller than I wanted the body of the doll to be. Then I sewed a line down the middle of the sack, separating it into two "compartments". Fill a little with beans (or whatever weight you are using), sew across, and repeat, evenly distributing the beans. When I was done, I just traced the filled sack onto my doll fabric, leaving about an inch or so of ease. Then I wrapped the bean-sack in wool, and stuffed it into the sewed body. Does this make sense? The arms and head are the same as for any Waldorf-style doll.

Have fun!

Busy mama to my three little lads!
#7 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

OK now I am getting busy here. Have someone who is going to help me. Have gathered all of the materials togather...AND can't find the silly instruction booklet. Aaagh. Have the pattern, just not the instructions. 

Can someone tell me what I need to do to prepare the millet and how much millet I need? Please, please. 

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page