What is the best Waldorf-friendly wooden play kitchen out there? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We got an unexpected $ gift for Christmas that is going to make it possible to splurge on a really fantastic play kitchen for our daughter. (Which is perfect timing because she's so ready for it in her play!)  What is the best wooden play kitchen out there?....I vaguely recall some discussion about how the best ones are made in Germany but aren't really available.  True?  If so, what are the good ones among what is truly available.

Any links and real life recommendations/experiences are very welcome.  We probably want to spend up to $300, but could spend $500 for something really, really, really special.

Thanks in advance,

Babygirlsmama

Babygirlsmama
#2 of 18 Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM

#3 of 18 Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lucky you. I think the Camden Rose cherry kitchen and refrigerator are pretty.

I believe Holkram sells some through German ebay. There are links on the Waldor Steals thread.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1133371/which-play-kitchen-if-money-were-not-too-much-of-an-object/20

#4 of 18 Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM

We have the Camden Rose kitchen and fridge and absolutely love them.  Much more than $300 for the set, tho.  The kitchen by itself is $350: http://www.palumba.com/product/a_simple_hearth/31/?catID=68  It is seriously gorgeous.  I did see the Kulu kitchen on the last thread and I would snap that one up in a heartbeat!!!!

I think this one is hilarious!: http://www.blueberryforest.com/kitchen_grocery_play/wooden-squirrel-themed-play-kitchen.htm

BUT, since we are talking about Waldorf here, I thought I would toss in what is probably closer to all you really "need" for a play kitchen: http://rhythmofthehome.com/archives/summer-2010/mud-pie-kitchen/  http://pepperpaints.com/2010/07/07/our-mud-pie-kitchen/  We did a small portable dried bean kitchen in the front yard using an old wooden milk crate, a tiny metal pitcher, and a packet of dried beans.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#5 of 18 Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'm not sure what is meant by "best".  My take is that "best" would be that which most promotes imaginative play.  I'd think then that anything with an area for a sink (where the daily task of washing dishes could be imitated) and an opening for a stove and stove top would do the trick.  As for construction, I'd be looking for solid wood as opposed to pressed.  Lastly, I'd consider whether you want something finished (non-toxic, of course) so as to minimize the upkeep. You can involve your kids in keeping it polished with beeswax, but that task has just not fit into my schedule and the kitchen is 3 years old, now!  Ours is made in the USA, but, I can't remember by who ATM.

ETA, I believe I bought ours from Willow Toys in Maine. This is it.  Without a doubt, though, I've seen some that are absolutely gorgeous in comparison!

snowgirl likes this.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#6 of 18 Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM

We love the one we got from Nova. It's made in Maine by a company called Elves and Angels. It's solid wood and finished in linseed oil. Blueberry Forest sells them too, as do a few other places I've seen online.

#7 of 18 Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM

We love our's from Elves and Angels. We've had it 7 years.  

#8 of 18 Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 PM

We have the camden rose one. It's beautiful. We have an elves and angles dollhouse and it's not, IMO, made very well. The e&a one is pine so it gets knicked very easily and it has an oily finish rather than the nice beeswax finish of the camden rose one. The cr one also comes almost assembled. 

#9 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM

We have a handmade german kitchen by a company called Norbert which you could try googling:

here is a pic it it, it is very well made and had held up to 3 years of hard play so far!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25641871@N08/3284849480/ 

Good luck in your search!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#10 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post

We love the one we got from Nova. It's made in Maine by a company called Elves and Angels. It's solid wood and finished in linseed oil. Blueberry Forest sells them too, as do a few other places I've seen online.

We have Christina's Kitchen & Jacob's Ice Box from Elves & Angels.  And this Christmas, we added a hutch from Etsy's Willow Toys.  

We love them.

Play kitchens are a funny thing...kids love them, no matter which one it is.  When kids come over here, they go nuts with ours.  When DD1 is in front of another play kitchen, she dives right in too. Sometimes I think they also like anything that is different from what they have at home too.  

But I think no matter which one it is, it will provide hours (and years) of imaginative, creative play.  I have even seen plastic ones (blasphemy!!!) that I honestly thought looked pretty darn fun.  

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#11 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM

I didn't have the room for both a playstand as well as a full-size freestanding kitchen (such as the ones by Elves & Angels). So I spent more for a really nice playstand & got this beautiful, handmade tabletop kitchen from Etsy. I like this one because it has a [small] oven space, whereas most of the other tabletop kitchens I've seen don't have this feature. The Little Kitchen also has a handle, so it can be moved easily.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#12 of 18 Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Wow...thanks everyone!  These are some amazing ideas.  Love them!  I'm definitely leaning toward the Camden Rose.  It seems worth the investment.  Let's hope we have lots more babies who can enjoy it! 

Babygirlsmama
#13 of 18 Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM

I agree with others that say you just can't go wrong with a toy kitchen.  All kids love them, regardless of how they look or any special features.

I have two boys, 2 and nearly 4, who love the camden rose kitchen.  I fell in love with the beauty and functionality of it, which was important to me because I knew I wanted it in my kitchen so that the boys could cook right along side me when they weren't literally cooking right alongside me.  :p 

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#14 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM

We had the Elves and Angels one but found it not so durable. We sanded and oiled it and gave it to a local waldorf preschool.

Then we bought a Camden Rose one. They are absolutely beautiful, very durable and made of cherry (horse-logged no less!) so it is a more durable wood.

#15 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 08:24 AM

We splurged at Christmas and got our DS the one on Etsy from Heartwood Natural Toys, linked to in PP.  (It was all he got from us besides a few books.) Its beautiful, seems very durable and DS and his cousins have been playing with it constantly.  I can't wait to get the matching fridge! 

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#16 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM

The camden rose kitchen is by far the best IMO:)  We have the fridge too.   

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#17 of 18 Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 AM

willow toys is our favorite! A good price and free shipping, too:)

Natural mama to my mid summer DS, 8-7-09 Pre service early childhood waldorf teacher <3
#18 of 18 Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my update:  I poured over all these comments (Thank you, all!) and decided to really splurge and get the Camden Rose kitchen.  I just know this play kitchen will be the centerpiece of her play for several years, and I needed to feel really really good about having this in our space.  It arrived and (other than as one person commented being smaller than I expected) it is georgous and we are very pleased.  I'll say this, however, I'm sure the other options are just as much "fun" and inspiring for imaginative play.  For me, it was all about the aesthetic.  This one is simply lovely, just beautiful.  And you know, I don't mean to downplay that -- beauty is no small thing at all, no small thing at all.

Thanks everyone -- Babygirlsmama 

Babygirlsmama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page