Mothering Forum banner

Tooth Extraction for 5 year old

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  WednesdayO 
#1 ·
So, my 5 yr old DD has some teeth issues. Our dentist has explained that it probably started when she was in the womb and has inherited my hubby's sensitive to decay teeth. We have brushed and not done sodas or lots of sugar or candy, etc. Regardless, she has two decaying molars.

Our dentist would like to remove both of them over the next couple of months.

I am familiar with the Waldorf philosophies of children losing their first tooth and readiness for reading/first grade (coupled with other factors). But, I am wondering about how pulling a tooth affects the younger child from a Waldorf perspective.

ETA: we are waldorf-inspired homeschoolers. we don't plan to encourage reading, other growing up things, etc but i am wondering about how it may affect her to have the tooth loss so young and so un-naturally.

Any insight or experience, even opinions?

p.s. Trust me when I say that I have experienced an overwhelming sense of mamaguilt about this. We have improved our habits and changed certain ways; I am not looking for advice about tooth care at this point. TIA.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not horribly familiar with all things waldorf but I would imagine that the readiness vs. the tooth loss is more of a developmental timeline thing (ie they happen at around the same age) rather than one directly related to or impacting the other. I may be off base but that's what would seem the most logical in my eyes.

That being said, my oldest DD has the same issues with decay. DH did as well and he was told as a child that it was due to low enamel. To ease your mama guilt some (I know it did for me), my two younger DD's have zero tooth issues and are about to turn four, everything has been done the same (brushing, feeding, etc.). By this age, my older DD already had most of her fillings, the little ones are still cavity free. So it really probably has little to do with what you've done and more to do with genetics. My oldest had to have one of her molars extracted at 5 after the temporary crown fell out and the tooth cracked beyond repair, it was her first tooth lost and was a very big deal for her (and for me) emotionally. But honestly, if there was a change in her readiness for reading and learning at a certain level, the change was super minimal.

#3 ·
I was so worried about the whole tooth thing in general, Waldorf or not. It's just something that bugs me... loose teeth, crooked teeth, cavities, etc. I really want everything to happen as naturally as possible without any intervention, but it doesn't always work out that way.

She's now 6 and has lost two teeth, but DD's 1st was a real doozy! It was loose for at least a solid week... I mean to the point where she could bend it all the way down from the gums and it wasn't budging. We discussed it with our family dentist and after more waiting, we decided it was best to let him pull it. It was insanely stubborn, but it popped out easy-peasy for him!

I try not to worry about the relationship with her education and just allow her to develop however she develops. You win some, you lose some, you have to intervene with some. ;)

#4 ·
My guess, and hopefully someone w/ more Waldorf knowledge than me will pipe in, is that the change of teeth really has to do w/ that: the change of teeth. She is losing some bad baby teeth, yes, but her adult ones are not yet prepared to grow in and take their places. This, to me, would be the more important thing, the adult teeth coming in.

#5 ·
Hi Gunter, have you explored the dental health forums? I don't know your Dd's exact teeth issues, but there is always the question of waiting. Both of my DS's have early childhood caries. We've treated them with ozone and do a routine of brushing with a sonicare using squigle toothpaste, a flouride rinse, and MI Paste to aid remineralization. It can be tricky to find dentists that use ozone on younger children, or that use it at all! There is also a yahoo group entitled veryyoungkidsteeth that could offer you some support, no matter what your decision. It certainly helped me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.