Would this be frowned upon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there.

I want to take my daughter to the hairdressor's to get some blond highlights/streeks put in her already blond hair.  Just a few tasteful/natural looking ones that are not too bright.

I'm worried the teacher will get mad at us.  If she sees nail polish on a girls nails, she makes them go to the bathroom and pick it all off.

Normally at this school, the kids can't even wear words or pictures of any sort on their clothes so they're pretty strick about that.

She's been very good about these rules, she doesn't wear make-up or even have pierced ears.

My 10 yr old dd has never even been to a hair salon.  She's been wanting to go but she doesn't want to get her hair cut!

We have an appointment Saturday but now I'm wondering if that was a good idea to book that.  nono.gif

WDYT???

Thank you.

Michele

#2 of 15 Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Are the highlights her idea or yours?  That makes a difference in my reply.  

#3 of 15 Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hers, cause her friends from out of town got them. And they look good.  What difference does that make? 

Wondering what the teacher is going to think.

#4 of 15 Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM

Just wondering.  I think it's pretty common for kids this age to want to experiment with their hair.  If you search or post in the preteen section you can see this.  Personally, I think that my kids can make choices about their bodies as long as they aren't doing something harmful.  My 12 y/o dd has friends who are into dying the tips of their hair pink, or putting in streaks, often using something that washes out after a while.  If my dd wanted to do something like highlights, i would much rather do as you are, which is go to a salon and have it done well and carefully.  Some salons won't do hair color on kids under 13 though.

Regarding the waldorf piece, my guess is that it wouldn't go over well.  You'll have to check on the dress code.

#5 of 15 Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

There's nothing on the dress code re:ing hair.  :(

#6 of 15 Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would just do it, and not make a big deal out of it.  It might go unnoticed.  I can't imagine what the teacher could do about it - make her wear a hat?  Do older kids at the school dye their hair?  Does your dd think it will matter at school?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#7 of 15 Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't seen anyone else with their hair coloured at all.

We'll just ask for highlights, that are very subtle.  Hopefully, they do turn out subtle.  ha ha

#8 of 15 Old 01-20-2011, 03:03 PM

From experience it seems highlights are lighter/brighter the first few days..because of that I would recommend you get them done on a Friday, so that by Monday they wont be as bright/light :)

#9 of 15 Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM

At our former school the rule was natural colors were okay. I never dealt with it directly, but I believe that is what the handbook said. The kids who showed up looking like their hair came from a box of crayolas were sent home.

#10 of 15 Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 AM

My neice (8th grade) has a classmate that put Henna in her hair, and the teacher made her dye it back to it's previous color.  So apparently, in their Waldorf school, no it's not OK. 

#11 of 15 Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingmama View Post

My neice (8th grade) has a classmate that put Henna in her hair, and the teacher made her dye it back to it's previous color.  So apparently, in their Waldorf school, no it's not OK. 

:(  Dying your hair a darker color is what is bad for you.  Can't believe she made her do that.  sick. :(

#12 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 AM

This just baffles me! I mean I don't think I could let my child go to a school where they were forced to pick their nail polish off in the bathroom, or a few NATURAL highlights would get my child in trouble. If you are a parent who LIKES to take your children to have girl days and do these activities doesn't it bother you that the school is so opposed to it?Do you think maybe it's not a good fit?

#13 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is probably too late, I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. My DD (not a Waldorf student) has a few purple streaks from the crown of her head that show all the time. But she also has an under-layer of purple at the base of her neck. It's really only noticeable if she puts her hair up in ponytails, braids or a bun/up-do. I'd suggest getting a coloured under-layer may be the way to go.

(BTW, DS has a completely blue head of hair. Yep, box of crayons is a good description for these kids, lol.gif!) 

#14 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds gorgeous.  My dd actually really wanted lime green nail polish.  Too bad.  :(

#15 of 15 Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM

our school's dress code does not allow hair color. including nail polish i think....?

i am 100% fine with that, ditto with our clothing code.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page