Lamb Skin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tell me about Lamb skin pelts/blankets/throws etc.  I know they are popular among Waldorf families and I've always been curious.  Is any particular type better than the other?  How do you use them?  Are they safe?  I've found a FABULOUS deal for a 90x45 "100% natural lambskin, super soft wool luxury & comfort" thick pelt and I'm heavily considering purchasing it.  Would I put it on her bed over her mattress?  Or is it more for a place to lay on the floor?

#2 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I don't know that any one type is better than another.  I opted for a short pelt since I was planning to use it with my then newborn.  Shorter hairs meant less opportunity for danger, to me.  It's a source of warmth for us.  It's especially helpful when the baby can't be under a blanket and it's cold.  I laid it in his bassinette and in our bed when he sleeps there.  He's 21 mos now and his crib is next to our bed.  When I try to put him in the crib at night, it's to the point that he picks up his sheepskin and tries to toss it over on to the bed while saying, "Sleep! Sleep!", to let me know he wants to sleep in our bed. 

At my daughter's preschool, there are a few pelts around the play area.  The children use them in the "houses" they build, or just lay on them.  They're comfy!  I'd like to have a larger one for the kids' play area and would like for my daughter's room, too.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#3 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I bit the bullet so hopefully we love it!  My main concern was safety so I suppose if I feel it's inappropriate for her bed when she arrives, I'll lay it out in her playroom as a place to sit and play or nap.  Worst comes to worst and she hates it I'm sure the dog will love it, lol!  The price is just to good to pass up when it's something I've been considering trying anyway.  Thanks mama!

#4 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM

Good for you!  I doubt you'll regret the purchase.  Enjoy!

#5 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM

I have two of the small, short haired pelt ones and then two blanket type ones that have cotton on the back.

They are hands down my all time favorite baby item.

We've used them for multiple children and they've held up nicely. Right now we tuck the pelts into the twins car seats and it makes a cozy  nest for them to lounge in, or I throw them on the floor and dress the babies with it under them. The blanket style ones are nice because after they've been used as a blanket for a few years, they are so hardy that you can use them as a rug. We put one down on the floor of our playstand and I haul the other one around the house and flop it where ever I'm about to do stuff with the babies. I do their infant oil massages on their wools and I lay them down on their wools after their bath as I''m drying/dressing them.

They're also gorgeous.

Once the kids are olderyou can use them as a warm bedside rug.

P.S.

Over time they get flat and lifeless looking- also after you wash them they do. To rectify that, just brush the wool with a pet brush and it puffs back up  pretty again.

#6 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM

You guys are making me want a lamb skin even more now. They are so nice, but would definitely be a splurge for us. Where is a good place to get them? Maybe we can start saving for one, or ask for one as a baby gift. We're having our second baby in March and I'd love to be able to put him on a nice, soft lamb skin. It just sounds so nice.

#7 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM

hands down, our lambskin was one of the best baby things that i purchased. the baby slept in our bed but when i transitioned him to his crib, he was old enough for the thicker one. he was having poor growth and they say wool helps (sheepskin and wool long johns).

#8 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 PM

This might explain why my little guy averaged 1 lb per week for the first 2.5 mos or so!  He slept on a lambskin and wore his woolies.  

#9 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyma View Post

You guys are making me want a lamb skin even more now. They are so nice, but would definitely be a splurge for us. Where is a good place to get them? Maybe we can start saving for one, or ask for one as a baby gift. We're having our second baby in March and I'd love to be able to put him on a nice, soft lamb skin. It just sounds so nice.

I got mine from a local "sheep & wool" festival we have in our area in the spring. check and see if your area has one too...? I got one the same size if not a tad larger than the ones they sell on Nova for $85+ and mine was $38 I think. The farmers had stacks of them to go through. If you can wait until spring, I'd be happy to get one for you when I go back to the festival again.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#10 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Id be careful with any lambskin that isnt clearly marketed for babies are marked as "fomradlehyde free"

Many tanning processes are quite toxic. If the pelt is washable I would wash it a few times before using if you have one that isnt for babies.

All of my kids have the Bowron lambskin and it was the best investment for babies. When I had my daughter it was a big investment for us and it paid off many times over!

There is also a Mimosa tanned sheepskin that is tanned only with Mimosa tree extract, but it isnt as easy care as the Bowron.

#11 of 11 Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Oh that is scary!  Would washing it three or four times by hand with wool wash make it okay you think?  I'll share the link as long as the mamas promise not to outbid me!  wink1.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170594916077&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT 

I don't want to put anything unsafe on her bed but I'd really like to encourage her to sleep in her own bed for naps and more often at night.  (We have a toddler bed sidecarred next to our bed.)  She doesn't sleep well either way so I'm hoping this would take care of both.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page